Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE  (Read 191950 times)

Offline Talisman

Re: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE
« Reply #570 on: August 30, 2012, 10:55:47 AM »
Geoff,
All looks good to me ...  i'm no steam expert ... but that doesn't mean you won't be missed at paddler day! .. I hope your not making excusses!

All the best,
Kim

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #571 on: August 30, 2012, 06:16:47 PM »
Kim, excuses!!!  :sobbing :sobbing if I had my way I would be there, as I am feeling on top of the world now. But the boss says 6hours drive each way is to much at the moment.
Ian, It's not what you know but who you know. I have made some parts(classic motorbikes) for a friend of a friend and was payed in metal. Including a bronze prop shaft (bent ) 4ft x 1inch plus numerous bits of brass rod. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #572 on: August 31, 2012, 06:18:05 PM »
Having tested the boiler hydraulically to 60psi, I have now set the safety valve to 20psi. (first photo).  I did this by pumping air in with a foot pump, and adjusting the valve. Just to show you I but soapy water on the valve. The end of the boiler next,  and finally a doggy photo for Derek. This shows the difference a red line makes to the visibility in the sight gauge. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #573 on: August 31, 2012, 07:44:40 PM »
 Hi PD's.... & .......:whistle

Never forget I am watching over you & your work RGY ...  :tongue1

However more seriously...I do also have a RED line .......

:41....I have misplaced my 100 badge.... Derek  :beer
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 07:48:01 PM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Taifoon78

« Reply #574 on: September 01, 2012, 08:32:35 PM »
Amazing done. Very interesting construction. Extraordinarily, as I know.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #575 on: September 04, 2012, 07:00:51 AM »
Kim  adding to my fleet fat chance, The boss says no more until I sale one. That is why I have taken so long with the DUKE. Started Dec 2009, still not finished. My bowls team won 2 rinks & lost 2 lost over all so they have missed me, but we stay in the division.
The fleet consist of 2 paddlers  (well almost) A Sailing Trawler, Pilot Cutter, west country trading Schooner and a small coaster.   All in the 5 to 6 ft range except the coaster at 2 ft.

Back to the important stuff. I received new sight glass in the post today. I have to admit I broke the existing one when fitting the casing on the boiler. So hopefully will be steaming tomorrow. Geoff
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 07:25:02 PM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #576 on: September 06, 2012, 07:40:06 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XrK4Mse-Uc 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnLjZCCbtlY  Yes Thank you Derek for trying to look
I thought I had deleted these links, Sorry. I had a steam up and took two short videos. I will try to get the correct links posted when I have the time. The only troubles with the boiler & engine encountered, the blow down valve dripped water, the engine stated to tighten up after 15 minutes. Uneven expansion is me thinking????? after it cooled was ok.  Geoff
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 11:33:23 PM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #577 on: September 06, 2012, 04:04:17 PM »

:a102 ...this all I get......An error occurred during validation. Sorry about that.  :sobbing

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #578 on: September 06, 2012, 11:41:14 PM »
The links above are now working.  :bravo The bottom one is the engine working, starting to tighten up. :darn Top is the blow down working, :clap I wasn't sure it would without a stop valve on the sight glass. :coffee :coffee Sorry its so short. :vacation
Just had a delivery 2.1/2 - 1.1/4 -  3/8 - 3/16 copper tube.  :gift
Geoff
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 11:49:54 PM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #579 on: September 20, 2012, 08:00:50 AM »
Well back in the shop. :hammer :hammer Suffered this week from the after effects of my birthday bashes.  :beer :beer :beer cider actualy.
Had along run with the new boiler. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN83wMzn6O0
A bit of a nak to get the burners lit, open up the door in the manifold, turn gas on low. Light will it burn in the manifold, blow gently down, the flame goes inside (sometimes).  Shut the door and turn up the gas, then check with a flame at the top of the funnel, to make sure all the gas is burning in the fire tubes. 
Ran for over half an hour at full throttle boiler held 20psi all the time, with half the water still in the boiler at the end.
A Few more runs and in the boat for more dry runs, before the launch.Geoff
G.Y.

Offline old man

« Reply #580 on: September 20, 2012, 05:50:36 PM »
 Hi Geoff  I ope youm you baint be drinkin zider an runnin thick engine taint proper youd be proper maize. Thats
the extent of my Devonshire dialect Geoff I cant wait to see this thing on the water is the trail runs local or is that a secret keep us informed please.
           Old Man

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #581 on: September 20, 2012, 08:36:04 PM »
I will let you know, but only you.  :shhh :shhh geoff
G.Y.

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #582 on: September 21, 2012, 10:17:51 PM »
Hi PD's..... :whistle ...what is that change of tone RGY  :crash @ 1.58 minutes?  :ranting ....sounds like a diesel engine cutting in  :41

After all these years .... :nahnah...I would have thought that I could also be privy to seeing a video of the maiden launch  .... your colleague in OZ......Derek  :beer
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #583 on: September 23, 2012, 03:07:32 AM »
Sorry about the knocking engine :sorry  Derek. She isn't running like she did and I don't know :thinking why.  If the day ever comes when the Duke is lanched  :beer and old man is there I will let him use my cheep old camara to post a video just for  :respect :respect you.  Geoff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #584 on: September 28, 2012, 10:05:18 PM »
Just read Model Boats mag for November. The story of Queen Alexandra (model), started 1996 still not completed, but has taken to the water. Trials & tribulations, first the Westbury diagonal & boiler to heavy, new boiler, not enough steam, turbines in & out, twin oscillator, final configuration. Trouble firing the boiler. tried coal, paraffin, gas tube & finally ceramic.   
As I am only stating my fourth year in December (on the Duke) I don't feel so bad now. The builder even installed a electric  motor at one stage. Something I have contemplated often. For the present problem is I can only find size 5 gas jets anywhere.  I need size 3s for the area of the fire tubes in the present boiler, that's why thoughts of another boiler. Geoff. PS I broke my camera playing with the grand children. (to rough)
G.Y.