Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE  (Read 155524 times)

Offline R.G.Y.

DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE
« on: December 20, 2009, 09:34:31 AM »
I am building a model of the Duke of Devonshire. has anyone information, I have measurements and three postcards, but you can't have to much information. I also have a lot about her when named Consul. R.G.Y.
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

Re: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 11:26:13 PM »
Very good news no one knows much about this boat. that is fine as I like to build some thing different. Eddy if you could move this thread to construction I will start posting the build . Geoff.
G.Y.

Online Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 11:39:55 PM »
Eddy if you could move this thread to construction I will start posting the build . Geoff.

Consider it moved Geoff ;)

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 11:49:46 PM »
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm PD's........being of Irish convict stock  :nahnah ... we were taught that Devonshire biscuits were intentionally infested with vermon & weeeeevels as extra proteeeeeen to the 17 week passage to OZ of the First Fleet

Captain Cook is well documented in that he did not offer any kind words for the "Duke of Devonshire" ....

So I rest my case & agree that a model vessel bearing the said name "Duke of Devonshire" should not be build ... :ranting ...lest it be a rat infested, vermon plagued hulk ....Derek

« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 11:51:30 PM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 01:36:26 AM »
Derek, Yes sounds just right for one of my models. R.G.Y.
G.Y.

Offline mjt60a

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 01:06:46 PM »
This should be interesting, I was tempted to have a go at 'Consul' myself but decided I had more photos (in books) etc. of Princess Liz plus I'd never actually seen the real Consul to draw or photograph any details...
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 03:01:48 PM »
Oh dear PD's....I am sure R.G.Y. has thick skin as it was never  :nono .....implied that his model vessels were ..... :sorry ...

'lest they be rat infested, vermon plagued hulk's' ......Derek :vacation
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 03:03:33 PM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 10:20:57 PM »
Apology accepted Derek, us poms expect that from OZ.
The Duke of Devonshire, built by R & H Green of London in 1896. Designed and owned by the Devon Dock, Pier and Steamship Co. Ltd, along with sister ship the Duchess of Devonshire of 1892. Operated as seasonal pleasure craft along the south Devon and Dorset coast.  Where no pier was available they would be driven into the beach and a complicated gangway was then extended from the bow so the passenger could alight. This risky operation ended in disaster, 27 August 1934 when the Duchess was washed broadside onto Sidmouth beach and was a total wreak. Sold to Cosens of Weymouth in 1937 the Duke was renamed Consil, sold by them 1963. Moved to Dartmouth and used as accommodation by a sailing club. Finale scraped 1968.

At 175ft bp by 20.5ft beam I plan on building  3/8 inch = 1ft going to be long! Frames marked out and raw materials starting to be assembled. Attached. Geoff
G.Y.

Online Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 10:35:44 PM »
I didn't realise you'd already made a start Geoff, well done.... I was just about to reach for a can of Carlsberg when I noticed the wire connecting them to the mains!! You don't take chances with your amber nectar do you?  :ranting

I'm looking forward to following your build.....

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline rmcluckie

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 08:15:32 AM »
Found this info and photos of the Duchess of Devonshire. Could be of use to you.

http://www.megoran.fsworld.co.uk/DuchessD.htm

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 08:26:10 AM »
Sorry Eddy the cans are all empty. they are the raw materials.
Yes I have Started, drawn a plan of sorts good enough for me. The thine piece of wood is a scale rule marked in red on one side to scale of plan and scale of model in blue on the other. Different colors so I don't get confused. The body plan an amalgamation of Duchess of Fife & Glen Usk.  Cut down as the main deck on the Duke is not plated over. I mark half a frame fold down the center line and cut out.  I apply glue stick (off the wife's craft table) to the ply then rub the patterns down this prevents the paper expanding through absorbing moisture. Ply from old draw bottoms.
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 04:33:14 AM »
My plans are drawn on computer like most are now.  First I have to find a photograph of the ship at 90 degrees I scan this into a C.A.D program as large as possible, draw around all the visible features, then delete the photo. Dropping the lines down I guestamate the deck shape using the body plan from a similar ship if the ship to be modeled is not available. I measure the length B.P. knowing the length of the ship I can work out the scale. I used to have access to professional auto cad release 13 where I could work in full size, now I have to struggle with a 10 cheepie.  I print a copy and stick all the A4 sheets together and pin on the workshop wall. Study all the information I have and wright it on the plan. Make a double scale rule and start the build.  @ 3/8th =1ft the beam =7.1/2" + sponsons 2.5/8 length= 69" overall. Should be ease to drive through the water, so I am tempted to go to 24th scale 10.1/4 + 91.1/2. The only thing putting me of is the large turning circle? any ideas! Geoff.
G.Y.

Offline Talisman

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 07:42:26 AM »
Hi Geoff, i had a look at rmcluckie's  link and the info on http://freespace.virgin.net/tom.lee/consulimg.htm
She looks like she will make a nice model and look forward to hearing more.
What are your plans for Hull will it be planked or moulded?

I know you have probably thought of making an over sized rudder or removable extension to reduce turning circle so apologies if stating the obvious.

Regarding Cad software i bought a (genuine) copy of an older version of Corel Draw (v7) which was adequate for my cnc machine (how i miss it now!) and the formats i can save in are all widely accepted by my suppliers which is great as the cost of upgrading to a recent version of corel is a little bit to expensive for me.

Like i say look forward to reading more.
Regards
Kim

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 01:55:36 AM »
The answer  to Kim's question. Plank on frame plus plating. Production of the plates, cut the ends off drink cans I use a band saw, slit down the join in the transfer with scissors and flatten. See below. Also included is the photo I used to draw the plan!
G.Y.

Offline Talisman

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 02:11:05 AM »
The answer  to Kim's question. Plank on frame plus plating.
You have bags of patience!

Production of the plates, cut the ends off drink cans I use a band saw, slit down the join in the transfer with scissors and flatten. See below. Also included is the photo I used to draw the plan!

Watch your fingers, especially if you run short on material and need to drain the contents of new supplies in a hurry.

Just out of interest, what glue would you recommend for sticking tin / metal to wood?
Regards,
Kim