Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE  (Read 193625 times)

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
Re: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE
« Reply #585 on: September 29, 2012, 12:32:49 AM »
Hi PD's...... :whistle ....don't feel too bad about your slow construction RGY...... my vessel :shhh is twelve years old & has not seen water yet..... :oops

She just sits there with me adding bits  :crash ...waiting for my retirement  :41

This Sunday I am hosting my six grandchildren [& their parents  :darn] to the Illawarra Light Rail & Steam day so should all be good fun.....I hope my camera survives the day........Derek  :beer

« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 12:50:17 AM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Talisman

« Reply #586 on: September 29, 2012, 09:32:52 AM »
Just read Model Boats mag for November. The story of Queen Alexandra (model), started 1996 still not completed, but has taken to the water.

15 years makes you a driven
machine Geoff!

Hi PD's...... :whistle ....don't feel too bad about your slow construction RGY...... my vessel :shhh is twelve years old & has not seen water yet..... :oops

She just sits there with me adding bits  :crash ...waiting for my retirement  :41

This Sunday I am hosting my six grandchildren [& their parents  :darn] to the Illawarra Light Rail & Steam day so should all be good fun.....I hope my camera survives the day........Derek  :beer

Derek, nice to see progress .. your a machine too, but the boiler needs firing more often! lol look forward to seeing more!
Regards,
Kim
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 09:42:39 AM by Talisman »

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #587 on: October 01, 2012, 02:45:39 AM »
Sorry Kim I am only a clockwork toy, 3 years on the Duke.  The Queen Alex is not mine.  My problem with the burners I found by accident, after getting the flames settled I happened to pass  the lighter over the funnel. This revealed a blue flame about an inch above the funnel so not all the gas is burning inside the fire tubes. Excess gas could build up in the bilges BANG !!! Searched the net for size 3 jets to no avail, if only I could drill a 0.15mm hole.   So it looks like I will have to make a boiler with 28mm tubes instead of 22mm as present. One more option I will try to make a gas regulator, with help from the down load section.

On a happier note I do like  :clap the look of your steam plant Derek.   Geoff
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 02:51:23 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #588 on: October 01, 2012, 10:37:52 PM »
Could you find some 0.15mm SS wire? Drill the smallest hole you can in a blank the same shape as your jets, insert the wire and use a center punch to close the hole down around the wire then pull the wire out.
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #589 on: October 03, 2012, 06:10:40 PM »
Thank you Gerald for the suggestion, lateral thinking can be good. I have number 5 & 8 jets could they be partially blocked, I am thinking  :thinking . When I was working (as a carpenter)it was rumoured  :gathering if I couldn't do it with a hammer  :hammer :hammer I couldn't do it at all. Unfortunately I require 2 jets working from the same canister, so they have to be absolutely identical. Even the propriety jet had to be changed until I found a matching pair. Geoff
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 06:13:19 PM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #590 on: October 04, 2012, 11:41:04 PM »
Hi Geoff,
I can't remember where it was but someone suggested using Watch (Jewel)Bearings for the hole in homemade jets. I haven't tried it, but the idea stuck in my head, If I find where I came across it I will post a link. I did find some size reference;
  "Melting point is about 2,050˚ C.  Low relative cost. Typically, a jewel bearing costs 20% as much as a ball bearing and 10% as much as a flexural pivot. Tight concentricities, to 0.0002 in. in most cases.  Small sizes for compact designs. Shafts can be as small as 0.006-in, diameter, but more typically range from 0.02 to 0.125-in. diameter."
http://www.birdprecision.com/PDFs/jewelbearings.pdf
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #591 on: October 05, 2012, 06:36:23 PM »
Gerald thanks for the inspiration, jewelers supplies have 0.15mm drills. At a cost of course, would have to be very careful not to brake it (them).  Although its only the final exit that has to be .15mm. I have the brass hexagon rod, the die, all I need is the nerve.
Having almost finished a gas regulator, just need a suitable membrane now. I will experiment with this first. Sorry no pictures as my camera is kaput. The BOSS is buying me a good one for Christmas. Geoff
G.Y.

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #592 on: October 05, 2012, 08:03:16 PM »
Hi PDs..... :whistle...& my mate [RGY :tongue1] asks .......just need a suitable membrane now...

RGY... just PM your postal address & I will post over a 12" x 12" sheet of 1/8" thick neoprene sheet for you

:beer ......Derek  ....but :shhh 
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #593 on: October 06, 2012, 01:02:29 AM »
Hi PD's....... sorry  :41 ....I try to help with 1/8" [0.125"] neoprene  :s_cool....then the call is for 0.039370078" thick material  :ranting

:16......in OZ we haven't made a machine that can count that little [to the ninth decimal place] ....... Derek.....  :c002
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 01:05:27 AM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #594 on: October 06, 2012, 01:48:52 AM »
Derek. You obviously got my PM thank  :trophy you.  .039 would be near enough for me. I have found a piece of car inner tube @ 1.20 thick that is working OK.  :terrific
 I must get a camera.  :kewlpics
You are up early or is up late. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #595 on: October 27, 2012, 03:18:41 AM »
Still no camera got to wait for my Christmas present. ( Hope its better than the last ). But when I have it I will take photos of the gas pressure regulator. It is working well so no need for number 3 jets. A word of warning to anyone making a gas line(obvious really) be scrupulously clean. I used secondhand 1/8" pipe big misstake.  :oops :oops :41 :41 As it don't take much to mess up the jets, and nothing to clear them out. Took me 10 days to work out why the regulator wouldn't work.  :sobbing :sobbing
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #596 on: November 03, 2012, 03:59:18 AM »
Well I have my new  :gift camera. :yeahbaby Because I have been a good boy, I have been completing jobs for the big boss.  :respect I hope you will consider the picture quality is much better than the old one.Derek . It shows the gas regulator. The OZ on the can is the weight when full, will weigh when empty so I can tell percentage left  Geoff
G.Y.

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #597 on: November 03, 2012, 09:00:08 AM »
..... :s_cool Beautiful ...you have been a good boy :crash :kewlpics .... :whistle .....

Don't be fooled into thinking that "OZ" is some form of unit of mass or weight...as we all understand :gathering it an abbreviation for Australia ....... so for the life of me I don't understand :a102 its doing on your gas can ....Derek :tongue1
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #598 on: November 03, 2012, 08:12:27 PM »
OZ represents ounces the 8 is around the side and cant be seen. I must be more careful in the future. Don't want you getting ideas above your station. Just stay  :s_cool . I may video the control I have with the regulator just need 3 hands again. Your friend Geoff
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 08:15:45 PM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #599 on: November 05, 2012, 04:09:47 AM »
The regulator before assembly, only the car valve in place.
G.Y.