Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE  (Read 193606 times)

Offline R.G.Y.

Re: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE
« Reply #600 on: November 05, 2012, 11:32:54 PM »
Measuring in Grams, full canister weighs 275g. When down to 125g I will use the remainder on the blow torch. Geoff
G.Y.

mogogear

« Reply #601 on: November 06, 2012, 03:22:45 AM »
Nice regulator!!!

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #602 on: November 07, 2012, 04:29:44 AM »
Well I have sorted the boiler & burners at last. I have been working on the engine now that  has started to stop when running on slow, and not self staring after. Well as the saying goes if it ain't broke don't fix it. :shoot :shoot :shoot Some people never learn. So it comes apart again.  I think the pistons have worn and steam is getting by. So cutting a grove & adding graphite packing. Also fitted new bearings. Geoff
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 01:40:56 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline PeeWee

« Reply #603 on: November 07, 2012, 07:52:03 AM »
Hi Geoff,
the packing and bearings certainly wont hurt,  at least its best now than when everything has been finished  good luck with the mods   :sunglasses
Ian
Sane? who knows? who cares?

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #604 on: November 08, 2012, 01:39:02 AM »
Well I have been on the Engine Builders web site. :gathering The consensus of opinion is that heat expansion is the problem. :gathering Yes this has happened since I lagged the cylinders. :41 So I will be lapping the pistons again, :hammer :hammer :hammer for more clearance. So the piston will be loose the graphite forming the seal. Living in hope that will cure the problem. Geoff
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 01:43:37 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline PeeWee

« Reply #605 on: November 09, 2012, 08:30:08 AM »
I have been following it over there also.  Good luck with  :goodluck
Ian

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #606 on: November 11, 2012, 03:35:26 AM »
Is there no place to hide, Pee Wee? Well all thet advice and nothing any good. I thing I will Install it all in the Duke and run at full power. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #607 on: November 14, 2012, 04:16:56 AM »
I have found the trouble with the steam engine at last. In the photo it can be seen I have removed the side of the bigends. This was done because there is not enough room for the crank, gear and bearings. When I have a problem with the port faces leaking steam I removed quite a bit of metal. I thought there was still room but no touching in one place and forcing the port faces apart. Leting out enough steam to stop it at slow revs. I will be soldering on a thicker port face, making new bigends. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #608 on: November 14, 2012, 04:20:46 AM »
Seeing as things a quiet on Paddleducks. I am starting a new Build thread Compton Castle
G.Y.

Offline PeeWee

« Reply #609 on: November 14, 2012, 08:14:28 AM »
Glad you have found the problem Geoff   :beer :beer
Ian

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #610 on: January 22, 2013, 02:09:01 AM »
Is no one building anything as it is very quiet on Paddleducks.  I have noticed people are looking though, as this thread has had 161, in the last 7 days. But Totnes Castle only 12.
Sorry to say the Duke has still not done any serous sailing, I have not been good of late. Ran her up in the workshop (the engine)  ;D and I am considering changing the gears for a belt & pulley, as the gears are a bit noisy. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline old man

« Reply #611 on: January 22, 2013, 08:27:04 PM »
Hi Geoff we have an extension at Creely till the end of Feb. Hope to see you there Roger

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #612 on: January 22, 2013, 09:03:38 PM »
Roger, The weather will have to improve, although we have on snow here. Still long john cold out there I am staying in the workshop.
I have been looking on Exeter club web site just waiting for some good news.  Geoff
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 09:06:27 PM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #613 on: January 23, 2013, 10:53:58 PM »
Hi PD's.....RGY....you say....'I am considering changing the gears for a belt & pulley, as the gears are a bit noisy'  :a102

Is there no way to quiten down the gear noise?......is the noise really from the gears or the alignment or shaft supporting structure?

I posed a similar question to the builder of the model Alaska on Mayhem........you will have read the posting  :whistle

We all understand than unwanted mechanical noise can be off putting  :picknose, however could you isolate & eliminate the noise issue you have as gearing is much more visually prototypical than having elastic bands on a steam drive  :tongue1

Derek :beer
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #614 on: January 25, 2013, 04:22:11 AM »
Derek. Running the plant out of the boat, the noise is not bad at all, but the hull is acting as a sounding board. Perhaps I will do as you say and try to insulate the sides with soldering mat, this will also protect the timber, in the water should improve matters as well.  Geoff
G.Y.