Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: New project started: Irrawaddy paddler "Mindon" 1948  (Read 3896 times)

Offline Paddlemex

Re: New project started: Irrawaddy paddler "Mindon" 1948
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2019, 11:47:38 AM »
Derek: Will contact. Even though I do not want to copy/paste a copy of that magazine but rather condense the information to a few sentences and add a sketch. I could also redraw the sketch and post my version.

Thomas: I know, not difficult to build, but hard to store. I have absolutely no space. Maybe I should get rid of some planes which I have not flown in years and probably never again will.
Regarding shipmodelling: we are very few. Yes there are some very talented shipbuilders, but we are all beyond 65 and no new talents in sight. All the younger ones don't build, they are the RTS type modeler.
No, I don't get any magazines here. There used to be several RC airplane magazines from US and UK, but that is 25 years ago, and I never saw any ship model magazine. Today some times I see the Fine Scale Modeler Magazine, all plastic static models, but I don't buy it.
When in Germany I normally spend a considerable amount at the airport in magazines when leaving.
Off topic: I also like old trucks and very often get a copy of Last&Kraft.

Jurgen

« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 07:27:20 PM by DamienG »

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2019, 02:07:36 AM »
The ship`s name is "Mindon", not Mindan. Mindon was the second last King of Burma. Main deck with the vents is now completed. Has anyone of us one idea, how to make the window shades? Some windows needs this. I would be very glad...

Thomas
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 07:28:06 PM by DamienG »

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2019, 07:02:02 AM »
Thomas.....

Send a PM to Damien, he can revise the spelling of the thread  from Midan to Midon as a permanent change from the 1st Posting onwards

In our old rail passenger carriages I remember from 60 years ago each window had a wooden louver with fixed slats in a leaf that slid down and was locked on brass cutouts in the window frames.....I will see if I can find an image......

Here...you can see the full width pull down Plantation Shutters  & the small brass thumbnail locks in the tracks 

Derek
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 07:21:58 AM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2019, 10:48:11 AM »
No idea how Derek the very first post heading says Mindon the next post is yours Derek & it changed to Mindan.

Perhaps Eddy knows.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 11:03:17 AM by DamienG »

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2019, 12:09:42 PM »
 :breakcomp.....I simply responded to the original posting post #1 ...... by responding in post #2 , this person [me] could change the spelling of a word in the Thread, however when post #3 was created, it would have reverted back to the default Thread word spelling in post#1

I did not change any word spelling in post #2.............. :nono

Derek.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 12:12:26 PM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2019, 06:32:13 PM »
It can be changed with the modify button at the top of the post but there's no way I'll modify 1317 posts sorry fellas.

Damien.

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2019, 08:19:19 PM »
Thanks Derek and Damian for changing name of the topic. The wrong name "Mindan" was my fault, but now I thing all is ok!

Regards Thomas

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2019, 11:29:20 PM »
All fixed Thomas.  :beer :beer :beer

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2019, 11:39:05 AM »

Thomas, and every one else: are the paddle wheel boxes fixed (glued) on your models or do you make them removable for maintenance?

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2019, 06:49:07 PM »
Jurgen, at "Mindon" the whole paddleboxes are fixed with screws and can be removed, at "Hope" they are fixed with glue. At "China" the mirror of the paddleboxes can be removed. On principle and about tightness I found it better to fix the paddleboxes with glue. Normaly even with this it`s not too difficult, to remove paddle shaft and the wheels.

Regards Thomas

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2019, 03:04:47 AM »

Thanks Thomas.

I still have not decided which solution I will use on my Strongbow "type" paddeler. I tend to the removable solution for ease of maintenance and adjustments during assembly.

Jurgen

Offline Bierjunge

Thomas, and every one else: are the paddle wheel boxes fixed (glued) on your models or do you make them removable for maintenance?
In terms of stability and waterproofness, its preferrable to integrate the boxes into the body, providing that the shaft can be assembled from (or removed to) the side. As long as the shape of the boxes allows this (some prototypes even had a small lateral opening or hatch giving acces to the wheel center) and if the paddlewheels and the driving gear are fitted to the shaft by grub screws, this should be feasible.

Moritz

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2019, 10:13:49 PM »
I must wait now for some fine brass profiles to make the stanchions of the upper deck. The part above the engine/boiler area of course must be removable, like the "China". It`s necessary to work very exact to avoide as far as possible some gaps between the fixed and removable parts.

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2019, 11:13:36 AM »

Did you receive the profiles for the stanchions, Thomas?

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2019, 05:15:57 PM »
I will install U - profiles. For reason of stability a little stronger than original. The cross section will be 3 x 3 mm.

Thomas