Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Wanted: Plan of RMS "Connaught"  (Read 276 times)

Offline Hankwilliams

Wanted: Plan of RMS "Connaught"
« on: July 02, 2019, 08:24:16 PM »
Dear friends,

I`m drawing a 1 : 48 Plan of the four stack paddler "Connaught", the model our late member Stuart Badger has built. I printed nearly all photos by Stuart and also the very useful perspective CAD figures by Walden. But it is not easy to draw the dimensions of deckhouses and details only with this material. Here on the Continent only one library (Technical University of Zürich) owns one example of John Scott Russels book about naval architecture. Unfortunately this book isn`t disposable for unknown time because it will be digitalised.
Perhaps anyone can send me a copy of this plan not via E-mail, but postal? Of course, all costs of copying and mail I shall compensate.

Regards Thomas

Offline marinemole

Re: Wanted: Plan of RMS "Connaught"
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 05:43:53 AM »
Sorry I was unable to help Thomas but as I messaged I have the model but not a plan.

If I can help by measuring items on the model please advise items requiring dimensions.

Andy
Lobby your MP.....make Moles a protected species.

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 05:51:10 AM »
Hi Andy,

yes, I know you are the owner of the magnificient "Connaught", which Stuart built. As you write I need a plan of the ship. More than 100 photos made by Stuard I have printed. It`s not too difficult to draw the general lines, but for the details it`s better to have some exact dimensions.
I hope to get some materials from the soon hoped digitalised book of John Scott Russel.

Thomas

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 06:43:18 AM »
I'm sure Stuart got his plans from the British Library - But they weren't cheap! About £50 per sheet if I remember correctly?

God I miss Stuart and all his posts - We chatted most evenings on Skype, and he was a true gentleman and someone I'm proud to call a friend!

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline marinemole

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 07:50:41 PM »
Well said Eddie.

Andy
Lobby your MP.....make Moles a protected species.

Offline Mike

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 01:16:33 AM »

Hi Thomas.

I have a few photo's from when the PS Connaught was in the Science Museum in London.
  It has now been moved to a Storage building (was) or now maybe Chatham Dockyard. But
  not sure about this.
  Photo's a good overview but not detailed. I will have to find them.

Mike.