Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: General Gordon Ferry  (Read 652 times)

Offline Robert Hornby

General Gordon Ferry
« on: August 17, 2020, 10:47:52 PM »
The town I live in, Terrigal - NSW Australia, had a busy boat building industry in the later half of the 1800's. She was a stern drive paddle steamer ferry built specifically to run across the Hawkesbury River just north of Sydney. I am proposing to build a working model of just her engine room and paddle, or at least what I think it may have been like as I have not found any photos of the room, (there most probably are none). I have drawn up a sketch of my idea and request any comments as to how close or otherwise it may be. The paddle seems to be a bit narrow compared to the hull beam but as there is a fair bit of "stuff" each side of the wheel and I am guessing there has to be some space between the engines and the hull sides i cannot see how I can change this.
Over to you guys.
Robert
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill

Offline Robert Hornby

Re: General Gordon Ferry
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 05:09:23 PM »
I have been giving more thought on the paddle wheel width and come up with the idea of offsetting each of the the cross head slides by 7mm to bring the wheel to 106mm wide which looks more in proportion to the hull width.
Robert

Offline Robert Hornby

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 05:15:23 PM »
I have made a start on the engines having made the cylinders and valve block and silver soldered them together. The cylinder support brackets were next and a fair bit of work needed in these. I utilised my home made rotary table to radius the ends to match up with the cylinder flanges at 27mm dia. A start has been made on the fixing bolt holes between the bracket and cylinder, they will be fitted with 8 BA studs and nuts.
I have made some more amendments to the drawing to show the valve drive rod offset system and some minor changes around the engine bases.
Robert

Offline kno3

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 06:46:23 PM »
Very nice.  Have you considered building the entire ship, not just the engine room? Would make a great working model.