Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE  (Read 191690 times)

Offline R.G.Y.

Re: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE
« Reply #465 on: April 20, 2012, 06:11:04 AM »
Thanks for not saying is that half a minnie. Yes Ian you are right, hopefully it will be a complete minnie one day. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #466 on: May 01, 2012, 02:06:16 AM »
As things here are quiet at the moment, ( all out sailing your paddlers I hope).So I will post 2 photos of my set up for silver soldering. On top of the central heating boiler, the fumes go up the flue. they are poisonous. The end caps havn't been soldered the silver is from when I fixed them on the wrong end. Geoff
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 02:10:18 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #467 on: May 03, 2012, 01:19:40 AM »
For anything larger than pipe work I have converted an old BBQ for doing my sliver soldering outside.
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #468 on: May 03, 2012, 07:39:13 AM »
Yes Gerald, safer outside, but I find the light to bright to see the colour change. my hearth is in a dark corner and the flue has a strong up draft. Other wise I would be out side Geoff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #469 on: May 11, 2012, 01:49:16 AM »
At last some progress, the main part of the boiler all soldered up. The steam drum scraped and an new design will be made. When complete it will be joined to the top of the boiler by a special fitting, a right hand thread on one end and a left on the other.
This will solve a problem I have been pondering for quite a time, how to make the flue manifold gas tight. The bottom plate of the manifold fitting on to the three bushes, one steam (to the steam drum) two flue. After the drum is fixed the rest of the manifold bolted to the plate.
Now the bad news my lathe has ceased to work, so can't make the plugs to pressure test  boiler. Cant make bushes for steam drum ether, and I have to trace the fault then repair.
More bad news my tame boiler inspector has moved to Norfolk.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 01:54:13 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #470 on: May 11, 2012, 02:27:16 AM »
Sorry to hear about your lathe, it looks to be electric problems from your photos. Did you let the magic smoke out or is it gremlins playing on the circuit board? Are there wild boiler inspectors around that you can lasso and tame or do you have to raise one? Best of luck Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

mogogear

« Reply #471 on: May 11, 2012, 09:46:21 AM »
We will light a candle for you and the lathe!!
Hope you get a cooperative inspector too!!

Offline PeeWee

« Reply #472 on: May 11, 2012, 03:55:46 PM »
Wish i could solder a boler its looking good. I am looking at buying one for the waverly.  I hope you get your lathe up and running.
Ian
Sane? who knows? who cares?

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #473 on: May 11, 2012, 06:52:07 PM »
No smoke from the lathe,  :darn would have been able to find the fault by following the black marks.  It just started running at one rev per min, so the speed control board is prime suspect. Motor tested OK.  :goodnews
I must confess the soldering is not all my own work. Have you ever tried holding 2 burners and a stick of solder. I held the burners, my son did the soldering. He sponsors the solder. :shhh Geoff
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 06:55:48 PM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #474 on: May 12, 2012, 08:38:20 AM »
Hi PD's....... :darn ..,..sorry about the black lines on the circuit board RGY  :ranting .......... :breakcomp ...wish I could help....as always.....Derek  :beer
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #475 on: May 12, 2012, 05:42:56 PM »
Mo (greg) lighting that candle did the trick. THE LATHE IS UP AND RUNNING. Thank you. Geoff
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 09:36:02 PM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #476 on: May 14, 2012, 10:01:22 PM »
The drawings for the steam drum and manifold. Hope you approve Derek.  :beer
As for boiler inspectors, the trouble I have is finding one. They only like TRAINS.  :offtopic Geoff
G.Y.

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #477 on: May 15, 2012, 12:35:56 AM »
The drawings for the steam drum and manifold. Hope you approve Derek.  :beer
As for boiler inspectors, the trouble I have is finding one. They only like TRAINS.  :offtopic Geoff
Mount some wheels on a platform and tell them its a logging train ;<)
Regards,
Gerald.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #478 on: May 15, 2012, 06:57:26 PM »
Good idea Gerald. :08 Just one word of warning never call a railway engine a TRAIN in ear shot of a railway man. They will never test for you.  :41 Geoff
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 06:59:05 PM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #479 on: May 17, 2012, 02:03:35 AM »
Getting excited again at last. :06 Sorry the picture quality is poor. I have made the left & right hand connector and the fire tube inserts. More progress soon.  :crash Geoff
G.Y.