Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE  (Read 193616 times)

Offline steamboatmodel

Re: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE
« Reply #435 on: February 11, 2012, 09:08:15 AM »
That looks right to me.
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #436 on: February 13, 2012, 03:10:03 AM »
Thank you Gerald, two heads are better than one  ;D ;D. Geoff.
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #437 on: February 13, 2012, 09:22:43 PM »
Another change of plan. :darn I have to admit defeat with the present setup. The idea was to build a boiler with a lower center of gravity. Unfortunately the burner is to near the boiler to burn well, if the boiler is razed it will defeat the object.  :squareone Another reason for using small tube was the cost. A water tube boiler has less capacity than a fire tube boiler made to fit in the same space. Now lady luck has smiled on me. I have been given 6ft  of 16gauge 2.5ins tube.  :thinking :terrific Build 2 boilers side by side and connect them with cross tubes. The disadvantages 2 burners will require a bigger gas tank, also will have to join the flues. But the CofG will be about 1ins. Geoff
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 09:27:23 PM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline PeeWee

« Reply #438 on: February 13, 2012, 11:41:42 PM »
Now that's got to win the ingenious solution of the week  :bravo
Ian
Sane? who knows? who cares?

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #439 on: February 15, 2012, 03:53:26 AM »
thank you Ian. So simple why didn't I think of it before. Well I would have had to buy 2.5" tube and I am known for being careful. :whistle  The total capacity of the new boiler .950 of a liter. should give minimum 20 minutes sailing so I will get rid of the pump and water tank. Should have room for a gas canister instead of the refillable tank. Geoff
One end cap made can just be seen in large tube.
G.Y.

mogogear

« Reply #440 on: February 15, 2012, 04:54:06 AM »
Great work around...Too bad you can't keep the feed pump and aft water tank - that is one grand eccentric drive!!

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #441 on: February 18, 2012, 01:32:18 AM »
 The pump and the eccentric may not be abandoned it will be easier to regulate a larger boiler, we shall see. :thinking Looking at turning boiler around and moving it for-ad making more room. I will have to re ballast of course. The neighbours are happy that I have finished the boiler bashing. :crash The cross tubes and bushes will be a quiet job. Geoff
G.Y.

mogogear

« Reply #442 on: February 18, 2012, 06:17:54 AM »
That was fast. A dream to have that kind of supply of copper pipe!! The flues will go up and out the far end right to a collective chamber to a single stack if I read your sketch right?

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #443 on: February 18, 2012, 08:37:52 PM »
A little to fast, made a mistake. I will have to reduce the length of the steam drum. I forgot a section of deck under the stair would foul the end. So the holes for the cross tubes are in the wrong place. I hope Derek isn't watching. 
The tube is second hand in pieces 2ft long, only one bit an good for boiler making. (used for refrigeration gas) The rest has been so hot the insulation has etched in to the surface. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #444 on: February 19, 2012, 03:23:24 AM »
Hi PD's.....we never sleep in OZ  :ranting ...all will be OK....RGY....we are still watching  :41 ........just carry on.......

If the tube has been used at sub ZERO temperatures......the molecular structure of the copper has been subjected to elongation, however talking with colleagues  :gathering:beer.........this will be OK if you place the tube in warm sunlight for 136 hours @ 32.5 degrees C  :whistle

The actual formula is.....{1 degree delta T x  (kg mass x length of the tube inverted on Pi) }.......simple....just like some of us......

This is an amazing mechanical phenomena as the structural change is not measurable.....it is only apparent when attempting to silver solder endcaps to the end...........of the tube.......:especially if Pi was x by tomato sauce ......Derek  :a102
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 09:10:03 AM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #445 on: February 19, 2012, 11:56:55 PM »
I am worried when in the U.K. am I going to get 6 hours let alone 136. :s_cool Luckily for me the copper had been hot. (in more ways than one) So in the freezer for 136 hours OK Derek. :great
The big redesign has worked out well. :08 Buy turning the boiler around and moving forward better access to the controls, more room and chimney very near the funnel.  The red line across the steam drum is where I will cut it off, the cross is the center of the funnel and the cross on the boiler tubes the center of the chimneys.  I still plan to encase the steam drum in the flue manifold to retain heat in it .
The two holes drilled by mistake will be elongated and a cross tube fitted, will have no use but will get me out of a hole. :coffee and lots of it.. Geoff
G.Y.

mogogear

« Reply #446 on: February 20, 2012, 02:15:40 PM »
) So in the freezer for 136 hours OK Derek. :great

Geoff

I think Derek implied you need to sit your copper out in the sun at 32. C or 90 F for 136 hours ( to offest the effects of sub-freezing temps  prior) --SO warmish hot temps for a long rest,  not in the freezer, if I read his thinking right!!

Fingers crossed I have advised correctly

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #447 on: February 21, 2012, 02:35:06 AM »
No Greg, Derek is just trying to get me going baffling me with science :41. All though it came out of a cold room refrigeration unit. It gets hot as it has removed the heat from the room. So hot the insulation rubber was stuck to it. I was just getting my own back at Derek. :nahnah Me get in trouble with the management with dirty old pipe in the freezer no way :nono.
Another advantage with the new layout is the gas canister is under the chart room, much more height. No need for a special tank. GEOFF
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 02:37:22 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

mogogear

« Reply #448 on: February 21, 2012, 03:45:55 AM »
Ahhhhhh...Sooooooo!! I fell into the prank :a102  thats what I get for reading all the words but not the meaning :c017

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #449 on: February 21, 2012, 04:17:56 PM »
Hi PD's.....&  :sorry Mo.......

Whenever the PD WEB site gets a little quiet.........I have been known to throw in a RED herring

RGY & I have been doing this years....all good fun  :gathering with the banter.... but what ever :shhh .... :nono ...we don't want everyone to know our secrets..... :whistle

Derek :beer
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 04:20:47 PM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au