Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE  (Read 191963 times)

Offline R.G.Y.

Re: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE
« Reply #180 on: May 13, 2010, 07:02:23 PM »
Eddy, I have been back three days. The boss has been unpacking, washing and cleaning. So I have been free to go in the workshop and continue with the thoughts I had on holiday. I have also prepared the boiler for the engineering club test day on Sunday, so fingers crossed. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline Talisman

« Reply #181 on: May 13, 2010, 07:51:55 PM »
Welcome back Geoff,
She is coming along nicely and i like your idea for home made lightply.
Best of luck with your Boiler test .
Regards,
Kim

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #182 on: May 14, 2010, 11:47:07 PM »
Thanks, Kim always nice to go away but better to get home.
A lot of work left Eddy as you know its the little bits that take the time. But another mile stone is past, all the deck planks are down, just need some ends trimmed, scraping and varnish.  The weights port side holding down the last board, the other weight is to balance the model on the pillow.Geoff 
G.Y.

AlanP

« Reply #183 on: May 15, 2010, 05:04:00 AM »
As a new member I have been reading your thread R. G. Y. very interesting and good workmanship, the planking should look really nice

Alan

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #184 on: May 16, 2010, 05:22:54 AM »
Thanks Alan, always good to know some one is looking. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #185 on: May 16, 2010, 09:07:02 AM »
we are watching aren't we PD's.......  :whistle :gathering .. :towel. :tongue1 ....but ..... :shhh RGY ......Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #186 on: May 17, 2010, 06:45:28 AM »
I had better be careful  ???more looking than I thought. Sad news had a pin hole in an end cap joint. So the boiler failed this time, but the good news repaired and I can test again soon.
Stairs going together OK. The intermediate treads will be slid in when glue set. Much easier than trying to get them all correct in one go. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #187 on: May 18, 2010, 02:06:38 AM »
Sliding the treads into the precut groves. Then proped into position just to check they fit. Geoff must brush up some of that saw dust.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 02:11:12 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #188 on: May 20, 2010, 05:37:42 AM »
People say about modelers you must have a lot of patience.  Not so I always have more than one job progressing at once, some times 5 or 6. When I get feed up with one I go to another. So today back to the life boats. I started using veneer for the strakes, but had to think again as the veneer kept splitting. I could have backed it up with paper, to help strengthen it. Finding some .75mm ply in my stock I decided to start again. In Model Boats Mag; recently appeared a article on clinker construction.  This builder had multiple frames and straight planks, not the way a full size punt is made at all. The only straight planks are the first and last, at the bilge the planks are bowed quite considerably. When the gar board strake is fixed a straight batten is laid on the frames, (only normally 3 in number,) and measurements take. The next plank is marked from this, it will then lie naturally to the shape of the boat, without undue pressure. This is illustrated below along with one I made for a pilot cutter 3/4" = 1ft. and I promise they will float. Geoff
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 05:41:47 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #189 on: May 20, 2010, 06:00:31 AM »
Very impressive Geoff, at least I now know who to call on when I need a clinker dinghy building! :hehe

Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #190 on: May 21, 2010, 03:08:17 AM »
No problem Eddy NICE if it will be 1ft=1ft. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline PeeWee

« Reply #191 on: May 21, 2010, 03:58:41 AM »
Looking good as always.   ;D
Ian
Sane? who knows? who cares?

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #192 on: May 22, 2010, 05:43:24 AM »
Ian, For a second I thought your post was, who knows, who cares. Then I saw the message. Thanks, some times things look better in a photo some times worse. Below the finished deck house, just need cardboard cut out passengers to go inside. Also the slatted deck below the life boats, no prizes for guessing where the free wood came from.
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #193 on: May 22, 2010, 06:56:36 AM »
Looking at the deck above, the varnish appears rough well it is in its present state. Sometimes you can have a happy accident. In this case I used some old yacht varnish just to fill the pores in the wood and joints between the planks. I then scraped the surface, in places the reddish remains of the varnish can be seen. I think a clear matt coat on top will look good. This has happened to me before, when two paints reacted against each other. See the hull of my sailing trawler. Just right for a working boat. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline mjt60a

« Reply #194 on: May 23, 2010, 09:55:34 AM »
....See the hull of my sailing trawler. Just right for a working boat....
That's a superb bit of weathering, looks just like some of the boats at old leigh... 8)
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)