Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE  (Read 193505 times)

Offline PeeWee

Re: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE
« Reply #210 on: May 31, 2010, 05:34:12 AM »
Looking very good there,  i still have to smile everytime i see the beer can hull.

Ian
Sane? who knows? who cares?

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #211 on: June 01, 2010, 03:00:34 AM »
Ian, It was not the cans that made me smile.
Now here's a tricky job bending the rails. I ma using electric cable, after removing the insulation of course. It is a little soft but cost nothing. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline ancoaster78

« Reply #212 on: June 01, 2010, 08:12:03 PM »
Just had a catch up of this thread, really fascinating build. Loving the unusual methods you use, very inovative, and the model is lookign great for it!

Looking forward to seeing it finished, esp to see how the hull plating looks painted....

Thanks for sharing the build, cheers Andy :-D

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #213 on: June 01, 2010, 11:49:59 PM »
Hull painting is coming as soon as the hand rails are fixed, 2 more to make. One side of the bridge rails in position (temporary). I will remove them for painting. Very up and down, the holes are different depths and the stanchions different lengths. Plan on turning up small base plates to control the height. This will enable me to elongate the holes for some adjustment if wanted. Geoff
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 11:55:07 PM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #214 on: June 03, 2010, 03:20:51 AM »
Half hour play to day.  Made some turnbukels 8BA left & right hand thread. Brazing rod for the screws, 3/16th hexagonal brass for boady. Turn down the rod then tap, file a flat where the thrad ends, drill 1.5mm hole and part off. Sorry about the photos can't get it any better need a new camera. I have marked the left hand end with a cut. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline Stuart Badger

« Reply #215 on: June 05, 2010, 07:22:09 PM »
Nice to see her progressing Geoff.

Well done!

All the best

stuart
Remember - a lone amateur built the Ark, it took a team of dedicated engineers to produce the Titanic.
Stuart

Offline mjt60a

« Reply #216 on: June 05, 2010, 09:11:07 PM »
yes it is,  I watch all the construction threads with interest   :)
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #217 on: June 07, 2010, 02:53:44 AM »
Thanks Stuart & Mick always good to have encouragement. Unfortunately not to well last few days. Despite the rumors I do have a hart but it is playing up at the moment. So I have to rest hence the lack of progress.  Plus I have broken my left hand tap!!! Geoff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #218 on: June 08, 2010, 12:54:40 AM »
Left hand tap arrived and I've finished all the left hand threads. When I was drilling the 1.8mm holes in the lathe I just use hand pressure on the tail stock, and pull the drill back out to clear swarfe, by sliding tail stock back. Saves a lot of winding. I took to big a bite and the chuck fell out and snapped the drill!!! I tried to tap after drilling a 1.7mm hole bang goes the tap!
Started the grab lines on the life boats. First I soak thin cord in weak P.V.A. and rap it around a metal bar to dry. Cut it off and it will form a natural full when stuck on the boat. Geoff
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 01:04:56 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #219 on: June 09, 2010, 12:15:23 AM »
Life boats just have to paint the canvas green. Well the cooking foil this has a coat of P.V.A.so is quite strong. The weigh of each just under 1oz ( I think 35kg?) as I have said before paddlers need to be light.
The skylight with seats for the forward saloon.
Finished the turnbuckles. Unless I decide to install a mast on the boat deck, as in some early photos.
Bottom photo shows a base plate on a stanchion. Only 96 more to make. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #220 on: June 10, 2010, 06:18:24 AM »
Turnbuckles.
G.Y.

Offline PeeWee

« Reply #221 on: June 11, 2010, 02:45:06 AM »
Looking good there, very nice job.   note to self, must get my lathe dusted down.
Ian
Sane? who knows? who cares?

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #222 on: June 11, 2010, 03:56:05 AM »
Yes Ian. use mine almost every day for something. Now do I need a mill I should have bought one a lot sooner,. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #223 on: June 12, 2010, 05:19:46 AM »
The life boats just need a coat of matt varnish on the canvas.
Mast is finished, Turned the bell, belaying pins, truck and the collars on the lathe. First I measure the mast at the point the collar is required. Then drill this size a hole in a brass rod, turn down as thin as possible. Center pop for the holes using the jaws of the chuck for the spacing, drill 1.5mm holes and part off. Four required all different sizes and hole spacings. Brass wire is bent for the eyelets. Slide collars down from the top until tight, sand the mast if they don't go down far enough, drill 1.5 in to mast, fit eyelets with super glue. Fit truck to top of mast, note two 1mm holes for flag halyard. Geoff
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 05:25:54 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #224 on: June 16, 2010, 02:00:52 AM »
In the photos above the pipe cleaner man is there checking on the scale. Geoff
G.Y.