Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE  (Read 193499 times)

Offline R.G.Y.

Re: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE
« Reply #195 on: May 24, 2010, 03:10:25 AM »
Mick , as I said just a happy accident.
Eddy, I know you have been having sleepless nights worrying about no paddle boxes and the duke sinking, here is one of the said boxes. They will be painted then stuck on using bath silicone as the last job.  It wouldn't be my first sinking, this was at the Weymouth International Boat festival. How embarrassing, don't tell anyone. 
The life boats almost finished, just clean up and add the false keel, stem,  stern post and rudder. If the planks are cut to the right shape, only 4 clamps are needed to hold 2 planks until set.
Photos of the chair which will provide the handrails. already bent to the right shape. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #196 on: May 24, 2010, 03:15:59 AM »
Nice job Geoff.....

It must have taken an age to find chair arms/legs with exactly the right curve for the boat though! :hehe

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #197 on: May 24, 2010, 03:25:46 AM »
No just luck again Eddy, and a neighbour  moving out. Going to live in Ukraine, Should be far enough away from the sawing and hammering. He didn't through the chair at me . Geoff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #198 on: May 26, 2010, 07:14:59 AM »
The life boats pass their test, kitchen sink makes a change. Its not often my models will even fit in the bath.
I see in lifeboat post someone is looking for a hull??Geoff
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 07:17:33 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #199 on: May 26, 2010, 07:18:02 AM »
The life boats pass their test, kitchen sink makes a change. Its not often my models will even fit in the bath. Geoff

BATH???? You mean Test Tank surely? ;)

Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #200 on: May 27, 2010, 12:45:07 AM »
Searchlight up and running. turned on the lathe out of ali rod. The lamp is an ordinary halogen 12volt 10watt, as used in domestic cabinet down lighting. Works as can be seen on 6volt nicad pack. Geoff
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 06:21:00 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #201 on: May 27, 2010, 11:46:04 PM »
More little bits, 2 capstans tuned up from broom stick. After painting black, string dipped in silver paint pulled around, to simulate were.  2 vents made for the ends of the forward skylight, also made on the lathe.  All shown on deck by the boat cradles also new. Geoff
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 11:49:39 PM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #202 on: May 28, 2010, 10:33:50 PM »
Some were on paddleducks some one was asking about rudder quadrants. Mine consist of a cut down pulley ex Walkman and the cord from a computer scanner.  The rudder is not connected in the photo. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline Red_Hamish

• aka Jim
« Reply #203 on: May 29, 2010, 06:04:46 AM »
Hello Geoff, a most interesting use of compensating springs there. That is one idea that I've not seen used before. Does therudder have any ill-effects from having the opportunity to flex albeit a little when under way ?

cheers

Jim
Enjoy life and the world of Radio Control Model Boating at  www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org.uk There is also www.shetland.org for live webcams to see the good life.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #204 on: May 30, 2010, 06:30:38 AM »
Jim, the springs are quite strong so I have not experienced any adverse effects in previous models. You will notice there have been stretched to adjust the tension. The reason I use them is to prevent damage during transport, as the rudder linkage can be strained, on a large model in a small car, with out a little play in the system. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline Red_Hamish

• aka Jim
« Reply #205 on: May 30, 2010, 06:26:22 PM »
Hi Geoff, a most ingenious method. I commend you on the ingenuity. On the point of large model small car i assure oyu the next car I buy WILL bwe measured before I decide if the boot space is sufficient.   A cracking build that you've done there.
cheers

Jim
Enjoy life and the world of Radio Control Model Boating at  www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org.uk There is also www.shetland.org for live webcams to see the good life.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #206 on: May 30, 2010, 07:18:31 PM »
Jim, Sorry I had been on the Zumerset zider yesterday and forgot to mention the main reason for the springs. The cord must be kept tight on the quadrant so it stays in the grove. Glad you are enjoying the thread. Geoff with a headache.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 07:36:09 PM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #207 on: May 30, 2010, 07:40:47 PM »
Just taken photos of the presant state of play.
G.Y.

Offline Tug--Kenny

« Reply #208 on: May 31, 2010, 12:01:04 AM »
Looking good.  I wish I had your patience.  :)

Ken

« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 06:16:09 AM by Tug--Kenny »
Despite the high cost of living,
                    it still remains popular.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #209 on: May 31, 2010, 05:26:21 AM »
Thanks Ken, Great when someone takes the time to post a comment.  As I have said before I don't have a lot of patience. Each item is a project on its own and I can't wait to complete each project. At the moment I'm just making a kit.  Before long I have a complete model. A year is not so long when you get older.  Geoff.
G.Y.