Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE  (Read 193615 times)

Offline R.G.Y.

Re: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE
« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2010, 07:14:41 AM »
In need of help again? Information or opinions on whether there would be  grating over the rudder quadrant. Or would it be decked over? As there are examples of both. As I have started planking the main deck, I am goning for a grating soon. It will allow accsess to the rudder. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2010, 08:40:16 AM »
It may be more work, but I vote for grating.
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2010, 11:21:44 AM »
Hi PD's.........mmmmmmmmmmm :whistle....I agree with Gerald.....may be a little extra work  :hammer :hammer for RGY...but the grating over the rudder quadrant would be  :terrific .......

Every small sub component in a build can add a realistic perception ......Derek    :beer
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2010, 03:57:50 AM »
That's grating 3 planking 0. Any extra time? Geoff
G.Y.

Offline Stuart Badger

« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2010, 04:06:25 AM »
Go for a grating Geoff!

All the best

Stuart
Remember - a lone amateur built the Ark, it took a team of dedicated engineers to produce the Titanic.
Stuart

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2010, 06:56:25 AM »
In need of help again? Information or opinions on whether there would be  grating over the rudder quadrant. Or would it be decked over? As there are examples of both. As I have started planking the main deck, I am goning for a grating soon. It will allow accsess to the rudder. Geoff

I agree with the rest Geoff, a grating would look so much better....... This chap does a decent selection of gratings, and at the prices he charges it's hardly worth making your own in my opinion: http://www.modellingtimbers.co.uk/7.html

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2010, 07:21:06 AM »
Eddy had a look at the gratings on the you mention, almost had me spending money! But looking in my rubbish I found some wire mesh. I built up the thickness with several coats of yellow ocher artist paint, I just have to clean it up now and make a frame. I have also laid the main deck planking. Fixed the rudder servo with linkage. In the rubbish I found a aluminium cupboard door handle, so I replaced the brass top on the funnel. I will reduce the funnel on the boiler as well. Geoff
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 07:24:24 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2010, 08:17:40 PM »
Eddy, I had a nightmare last night a halfpenny covered in tar. So I will be spending some money. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2010, 08:19:53 PM »
Eddy, I had a nightmare last night a halfpenny covered in tar. So I will be spending some money. Geoff

:hehe :hehe You know it makes sense Geoff :)

Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2010, 08:35:13 PM »
I'm not really that mean it's just I like to make very thing myself. I will need gratings on the bridge as well, Thanks for straightening me out. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline mjt60a

« Reply #100 on: March 02, 2010, 12:08:26 AM »
...I like to make everything myself...
I always look out for 'rubbish' that could have a modelling use (I work for a local council in a 'rubbish clearance' type of job so there's no shortage of it) just last week I found a discarded piece of junk jewelery, a 'belcher' chain I believe it's called but this was cheap steel, chrome plated and had gone very rusty - perfect for that little used anchor chain!
But I digress....for gratings, the styrene flyscreen in a type of ventilation panel would be ideal, a bit large for my model (I'm using it anyway) but should be perfect in yours...
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #101 on: March 02, 2010, 12:34:36 AM »
That looks good, But you have found something I don't have in my rubbish. That must be a first. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline mjt60a

« Reply #102 on: March 02, 2010, 12:49:24 AM »
Lucky me! you can still buy them (here in the UK at least) in hardware shops - and they're about the most inexpensive item you could find, they look like this dusty spiderweb-covered example in my house...
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #103 on: March 02, 2010, 01:12:40 AM »
Oh those!! do you know I might just have one some were? I have fixed hundreds of them, I was a chippy what a pain the screw holes are all ways to near the hole you are trying to cover. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #104 on: March 03, 2010, 03:44:07 AM »
Been in the machine shop to day. Had to make a piece for the door handle on the car. So while I was there I made the parts for the feed pump. P1.
 Derek I know you are keeping your eye on me, Could P2 be serious?
One thing that I think can spoil a great model is a strait joint across  a planked deck. Why not go diagonal as P3. The piece that covers the screws is the wrong way around, this just wedges in afterwards. When screwed down the joint is almost invisible.  Geoff.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 03:48:14 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.