Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE  (Read 193354 times)

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Re: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE
« Reply #105 on: March 03, 2010, 04:19:07 AM »
Geoff rats are only supposed to desert a sinking ship, this one hasn't even touched the water yet, so I can only assume it must be a lemming :hehe

Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline andy

• Model of paddle steamer DIESSEN 1:20
« Reply #106 on: March 03, 2010, 06:09:04 AM »
This trick with the planked deck is the same as I did in 1975 on my PS Diessen.

Andy

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #107 on: March 03, 2010, 10:17:46 PM »
Hi PD's....... & RGY says...... "Derek I know you are keeping your eye on me" ,....well this correct :whistle ......but from what I see.... :nono I do suspect a BIG false RAT is  :vacation in the foc'';sle   on board the DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE build  :ranting

Keep up the good work....we do enjoy the build..........Derek :beer

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 10:24:43 PM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #108 on: March 04, 2010, 03:11:15 AM »
Had to have false rat the real ones are the quick for me.
Kim asked a wile back what are the knobbly pits on the port side. I have come to the conclusion they are fixing points for gallows brackets, which hold the first section of the gangplank. I reached this conclusion as in all the photos I have seen, it is at the same angle. This would be fitted at the dock before a trip with a beach landing. Only the outer section is movable, by means of the block and tackle probably fixed to a ring bolt way back in the deck. The vertical pole in the center would make contact with the fixed section, so preventing outer section falling back beyond the center of gravity. So not difficult to operate by one servo. Any alternative ideas. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #109 on: March 05, 2010, 06:32:16 AM »
 P1 Started the plating, would look better with the shiny side out, but paint will stick to the printing better. 
P2 Bulwarks forward fitted. The polyurethane glue will be cut off when fully set.
P3 Bulwarks aft, lucky the samson posts enable me to join the stern section. This will have to be laminated.
P4 Using plastic for the sponsons, just because I had some. Note the sponsons are hollow apart from saving wight there is a more important reason. On my other paddler the paddle box protrudes above the deck, so there is only 1/4" clearance around the wheel. If I open the regulator (steam powered) to quickly water squirts out the vents. not very scale effect. So this time as much space around the wheel as possible. As an aside, when I was building the Glen Usk (P & A Campbell ship) I meet a 2nd engineer who sailed on her.  His regular ship was the Bristol Queen, on her the paddle boxes where plated in, as on the Cardiff Queen and the Ravenswood. The company thought  it looked modern! He has passed away so he won't get in trouble, if I tell what he used to be done when not carrying passenger. The internal doors in the paddle boxes would be opened, with a gain in speed of two to three knots.  The paddle acting as a compressor. An other story, Glen Usk was kept on the Weston - Cardiff run, coaling at Cardiff of course ,. When she had to do the a trip down to Ilfracombe there was so much dust in the bottom of the bunker , great difficulty was experienced in maintaining steam pressure, just managing to crawl into Cardiff in time to beat the tide. Geoff
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 06:38:04 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #110 on: March 05, 2010, 07:20:22 PM »
I forgot to say the insides of the bulwarks have had three coats of off white paint. Stanchions will be painted black before fixing. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: March 06, 2010, 01:05:55 AM »
Coming along nicely Geoff... Are the bulwarks the correct height though? They seem very high in the photos, or maybe it's just an optical illusion?

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #112 on: March 06, 2010, 08:50:08 AM »
Well spotted Eddy they are indeed. At the samson post 1/16" higher this was the only place I could be sure of getting is spot on, The plan is to cut a groove in the hand rail, for a good fixing, almost impossible to glue it to the top of thine ply. In the bottom photo is can be seen over a 1,4 " higher than the sponson plating, this will be planed off with a razor plane. I will have a problem with Elf & Safety, the elf will be hear so it safer out of the work shop. Geoff.
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #113 on: March 08, 2010, 04:13:13 AM »
Elf gone, P1. Fixed bulwarks at stern. P2. A faint line inside bulwarks shows cut down point. Temporary balsa pieces to see if the paddle boxes where right. Learnt that from Stuart. P3 Inside sponson showing clearance a round wheels. Geoff
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 04:18:58 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline PeeWee

« Reply #114 on: March 08, 2010, 04:43:10 AM »
coming along nicely there Geoff. ;D
Ian
Sane? who knows? who cares?

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2010, 09:23:58 AM »
I thought I would have to buy a gas tank. I didn't fancy making one. But having a mock up I found I can just get a half size canister in under the steps. The tap will protrude enough for it to be turned off with out removing hatches. The water jacket at the base of the funnel came from the top of a spray can. Had the mock up to see how things are going, as I am not using plans as such. Looking like the Duke now. geoff
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 09:29:10 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2010, 04:23:24 PM »
Hi PD's....not sure here RGY  :sorry ...but placing the gas tank @ approx 45 degrees from the horizontal would provide you with hydrocarbon liquid draw off in lieu of expanded gas ..... a102  41 ....Derek
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 07:08:17 PM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Stuart Badger

« Reply #117 on: March 09, 2010, 05:47:45 PM »
Hi Geoff

things are progressing well - keep it up!
I have to agree with Derek though - you really need to get that tank verticle if you can - is there any where else you can squeeze it in?

All the best

stuart
Remember - a lone amateur built the Ark, it took a team of dedicated engineers to produce the Titanic.
Stuart

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #118 on: March 10, 2010, 06:36:25 AM »
Thanks for the warning, I was worried about this. So it was the first thing I checked. This is a brand new canister and not a drop of liquid came out when the tap was turned on. As for progress Stuart,as you know it is the details that take the time, and that's whats left. I have been neglecting other work for a while. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline Stuart Badger

« Reply #119 on: March 10, 2010, 06:50:39 AM »
Glad it checked out OK Geoff - but have you tried a little gentle rocking to simulate movement when you are sailing the model. If the liquid in the can moves around it could vent into the outlet pipe? just a thought!
Glad you are on to the detail - you're right it takes forever and you don't see any progress till the end.
All the best

Stuart
Remember - a lone amateur built the Ark, it took a team of dedicated engineers to produce the Titanic.
Stuart