Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: New project started: Irrawaddy paddler "Mindon" 1948  (Read 4794 times)

Offline Hankwilliams

Re: New project started: Irrawaddy paddler "Mindon" 1948
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2019, 01:47:28 AM »
it`s the steam steering engine above the crew`s quarter. I don`t know why the steering engine was at the rear of the ship (in opposit of the "China", where it is fore), but in accordance to the plan it`s correct. The later Irrawaddy steamers also had a rudder house with bridge above the fore roof, this would be the normal way to steer the boat. And this will be the last bigger work at the model by me.

Thomas

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2019, 11:38:20 PM »
The big roof is now finished. Like the "China" I made the roofing with fine 400 sand paper. The last two days the pilot bridge is built, so I suppose to finish the boat until beginning if next week. Weight of the boat is now 6,4 kg, may be that the model will dive little deeper than the waterline.

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2019, 04:02:06 AM »

Looks great Thomas.

How do you make the supports "show" through the roofing. Did you sand something to make those lighter stripes?

Will the Friedrichshafen meeting be at the Messe fairground or will be actually sailing on the lake?

Jurgen

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2019, 08:37:04 AM »
Thanks Jurgen. The roofing stripes are irregular grinded sandpaper stripes. I think the result is quite realistic and similar like in the videos of the Bangladesh rocket steamers. I will perform the boat at Friedrichshafen Messe together with the big "China" and the blockade runner "Hope" - and also the "Fulton`s Folly", lying on the trailer. In "Maschinen im Modellbau" this week a long article about the Folly will be published.
I don`t know, whether there is enough time to do a trip with "Mindon" at the lake before, but in every case I must make some test runs in the water tank to be shure of a good performance without breakdowns.

regards

Thomas

Offline kno3

« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2019, 09:37:07 AM »
Very nice work!

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2019, 08:06:39 PM »
The model is nearly finished. I `ve altered the paddlebox mirrors now like there is at "Myat Yadana" - in the original plan there was only a wall with two fake windows. I think, the apperance of the boat with the vents now is more attractive. A problem are to make the 4 vents to the engine/boiler room. Vents in this size are out of trade, may be I will make them with copper tubes and angles.
Next week some test trials in the water tank are necessary, but I expect no major problems.

Offline kno3

« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2019, 08:29:20 PM »
An impressive ship, should look great on the water.

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2019, 07:17:05 PM »
I made several test runs with the boat in the test tank, in the beginning some problems were visible: The new steam regulator wasn`t allright, far too less steam came to the engine. I replaced it by an old one, what is slightly leaky. Then one feathered wheel was jaming. Today in the morning the whole installation seems ok, but some further test runs are necessary to avoide breakdowns at the steam meeting in Friedrichshafen in two weeks. The nautic stability of the model is good, also you can see that the draught is only some millimeters more than the waterline.

Thomas

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2019, 07:44:55 AM »
Not to forget a problem of water tightness. Between paddleboxes and sponsons deck was a gap. When the wheels are turning, water comes via this gap into the hull. I have tighten this zone with sillicone - hope this problem will be solved tomorrow. Engine and wheels seems ok now.

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2019, 03:47:02 AM »
It seems, that now all functions are well. The paddleboxes are no more leaking and the engine is running well. I`m waiting now for four fans for installation behind the funnel and the rear enigne area. I made the flag of Myanmar Inland Water Transport, the 1948 successor of Irrawaddy Flotilla Company. I also add some pictures for illustrating the draught of the boat.

Thomas

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2019, 07:22:03 AM »
The four fans Thomas?........for improved combustion, or everything getting too hot?........... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2019, 10:41:21 AM »

Also puzzled regarding the fans.
Cooling or fresh air supply?

Jurgen

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2019, 06:53:48 PM »
May be, I didn`t write the correct expression - I mean the funnel-shaped, right-angled tubes for fresh air supply to boiler/ engine room. In german language "Drucklüfter". What is the correct expression?

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2019, 02:13:41 AM »

In an old bilingual Graupner catalog they are called "pressure vents". However, looking that expression up in Google does not render anything similar to what we are talking about.
Ventilator cowl seems to be better. The native English speaking forists probably can tell us the correct name of this device.

Interestingly during my search I found the "Dorade vent" which is a box installed below the cowl to separate water from the air that is fed into the interior of the ship. The name comes from the Dorade yacht where this design was used for the first time in the early 1900s.