Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: New project started: Irrawaddy paddler "Mindon" 1948  (Read 3095 times)

Offline Paddlemex

Re: New project started: Irrawaddy paddler "Mindon" 1948
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2019, 04:48:12 AM »
Hello Thomas,

As an alternative you may consider stainless fishing line.
Steba Modellbau had some very thin stainless steel cables in the program, down to 0.3mm.
But I don't know if they are still active. The last update of their homepage is 2017.

Jurgen

« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 07:29:10 PM by DamienG »

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2019, 05:38:03 AM »
Dear friends and neighbors,

The boat got some advance, engine kit arrives last thursday. Graham engine was built, testet and converted to a diagonal one. In the next days we will see, whether the torque of the engine shaft will be strong enought for direct driving or not. In the second case a gear reduction with cogwheels could be simply realized, the engine would be a little more behind.
Another good news: The chief editor of the german "Maschinen im Modellbau" visited us. I will publish a book "Steam engines in marine modelling" - of course in geman language. To write the book, I got time of one year. I will do my best.

Thomas
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 07:30:00 PM by DamienG »

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2019, 08:06:54 AM »
Well Thomas......congratulations on your new role in life as mature engine builder author  ....it would be great to read a copy after completion even just to look at the pictures  :kewlpics

With the Graham engine, you could consider soft soldering the lubrication holes in the big end bearings, and add M3 tapped holes [@ 90 degrees to original] for plexi-glass tube lubricator bodies from Jin....

We understand the axis would be that as the offset off the vertical [15 degrees?] however again this would not be an issue 

I have added these to my Saito Y2DR....

They serve the purpose well and look to suit the period in engineering design

Derek

« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 07:30:42 PM by DamienG »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2019, 08:47:11 AM »
Thanks Derek. Of course you will get one book when it is finished  and published. The bearings of the Graham engine are now twisted (?), it`s a good idea to
change the oiling in the way you described. Your Saito looks awsome, not like a model engine, but an engine at real size. Building a steamboat, again and again one is confronted with unexpected problems, but fortunately the solution will be found after a while.
Nearly 11 clock in the evening - time to sit in a rocking chair with a glass of wine and let the thoughts go by...

regards  Thomas
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 07:31:13 PM by DamienG »

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2019, 03:17:30 PM »
 :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Nice to know your talent is appreciated Thomas.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 07:31:57 PM by DamienG »

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2019, 11:18:01 AM »
Congrats for your new job as a book editor.
But don't stop posting your advance on the ship building. We are very few.

Jurgen

P.S. I normally buy a copy of Maschinen im Modellbau at the airport for the flight back after visiting Deutschland.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 07:32:25 PM by DamienG »

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2019, 07:57:07 AM »
Thanks Jurgen. In MiM I published many articles.
First steam up today - not in water - to see the function of engine and paddlewheels. I decided for a slighly gear reduction of 5 : 4, the engine can be better removed than with direct drive. Function was quite well, as you see, the wheels turning fast. Tomorrow I will do a test run in the water basin.

Thomas
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 07:32:49 PM by DamienG »

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2019, 02:21:44 PM »
A work of art Thomas.  :bravo :clap :bravo :clap :bravo :clap :bravo :clap
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 07:35:09 PM by DamienG »

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2019, 04:03:07 PM »
Thomas......when viewing another WEB steam engine build image, I immediately thought of your Graham and the relationship of the big end bearings & lubrication

The next image displays a  similar scenario of off axis drilling for the oil tapping taking into account, the angularity of the bearing block housing

The hole does not need to be on axis, but  on any line that intersects and makes a break thru  :hammer with the bore of the bearing....

I am sure you understand what I mean....

Derek
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 07:36:55 PM by DamienG »
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2019, 11:30:04 PM »
First sieam up in water basin!
Today I made a first test trial in water. Some ballast was needed, with 6,3 kg deplacement the boat reached the waterline. After 7 minutes the boiler got nearly 2 bar pressure and I opened hackworth gear and steam valve. Last was not tight, I can`t stop the engine with the old Regner steam valve. Paddlewheels turning were fast, more than by the much bigger "China". Thought the still open paddleboxes the sides of the boat got wet after short time. Pressure was between 1,5 and 2 bar, minimum for turning the wheels 0,7 bar. The acceleration seems sufficient, but one can`t say some certain of speed in the short basin. Grade of efficience with this small 85 mm diameter wheels seems rather less, although they are fethered - but obviously with the higher rotation the models speed will be sufficient. With the wide hull and the box like underwater form the boat lies very stable in water, in opposite of the long and narrow "Courier" there is absolutely no tendence of list.
The Graham engine I used in 3 of my boats, screw driven "Syrinx", paddler "Marchioness of Lorne" and the present. From my expericence this is a worth of money, semi high fidelity and rather strong engine, slide valve geared, for medium sized models.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 07:38:01 PM by DamienG »

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2019, 04:03:38 AM »
Derek, I don`t want to dimish the necessity of oiling of the engine bearings. Indeed the rpm may be reach 200 by full ahead (160 of paddleshaft). Our models are no merchandise goods with daily use. When I consider, some of my boats are running just a few hours in one year. From my experience it`s completely adequate to oil the shaft and gear bearings before running with automobile oil. For example, the old Regner 14/18 of "Hope", 25 years old, is like new, also the brass bearings with steel shaft.

Many regards
Thomas
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 07:38:58 PM by DamienG »

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2019, 05:09:45 AM »
I envy tour test tank Thomas. I will have to test in the bathtub, if at all. Most probably I will dry test the wheels in the shop and then water test at our sailing site.

Your Mindan is growing fast and pretty.

Jurgen

BTW: I went through my old MiM Magazines and found 2 of your contributions. In one of the 2015 issues I also found an article on paddle wheel construction with some interesting design parameters. I am not sure if I can post an extract of that in the technical section here without infringing some legal aspects.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 07:40:18 PM by DamienG »

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2019, 03:02:23 PM »
Jurgen......Re :  Posting scanned material on PD's

This issue has been raised many years ago on PD's

The determination rule set by Eddy Mathews was that posting a scan from another source and acknowledging the source in the header to the scan would not contravene Paddleducks protocols, however the owner [or Publisher] of the source document may have exclusions or limitations on what can be copied & printed

I will often paste & copy words or meanings from Wikipedia into my PD posting , however I always clearly state eg.... ''copy from the Wiki people" ......etc

If you are unsure, why not send a PM to Eddy or Damien outlining what you propose to  copy & post etc

Derek

« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 07:40:48 PM by DamienG »
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2019, 10:07:37 PM »
Hi Jurgen,

it`s not difficult to build a test tank, you only need 5 sawed rectangular parts of plexiglass and the right adhesive.
Just a question of my interest: You are living in Mexico - is there shipmodelling an enlarged field of interest? You get mexican, american and british model magazines? In 2012 I visited Baya California, Guadalajara, Veracruz and some further places, but I never got any model magazine.

Thomas
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 07:41:20 PM by DamienG »

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2019, 03:45:03 AM »
Main deck now is nearly complete. Today I finished the steam rudder engine, of course it`s not functionable, but the impression should be quite realistic. I have used some parts of a whitemetal steam anchor windlass. Deck houses fore and aft the paddleboxes are also finished. The rear part of the boat will be covered by a wide roof like PS "China" and without dissembly no more accesible. Next work will be the stanchions and railings to carry the upper deck and the rear roof.
Jurgen: My last articles are in MiM 1/2019 and 2/2019 about "Hope" and "Choctaw".

Thomas
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 07:41:39 PM by DamienG »