Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE  (Read 191962 times)

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Re: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE
« Reply #390 on: March 26, 2011, 02:34:30 AM »
Have you any ideas Eddy . Geoff

To be honest I don't have any ideas Geoff, that's why I posed the question originally..... However, Walter Snowdon did say that green garden twine burns with a black smoke, so that may be worth a try? Just make sure you get the natural twine, not the modern stuff made from man made fibres!

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #391 on: April 01, 2011, 03:30:32 AM »
Eddy,Let us know if anyone makes black smoke. The best I can do is blue.  :darn So I give in  :shoot An incense stick with flakes of plastic stuck to it with evo stick, ( petroleum based impact adhesive) Four give plenty of smoke. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #392 on: April 01, 2011, 03:47:18 AM »
If someone cracks it I'll certainly let you know Geoff!

I'm sure that if someone came up with a commercial unit that made a decent amount of black smoke there would be a great demand for them! The normal smoke units either give out small whisps which dissipate so quickly they are useless, or they use water vapour and give white smoke - Who ever saw a real boat produce white smoke? :(

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline mjt60a

« Reply #393 on: April 01, 2011, 07:05:13 AM »
I did read somewhere that with the water vapour type, you can add black food colouring to the water but I always assumed it would condense all over your decks like black ink....  :(
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #394 on: April 01, 2011, 07:23:00 AM »
I tried the food colouring in a water vapour unit I had a while back Mick - It doesn't work! You still just get white smoke! :(

Eddy

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #395 on: April 02, 2011, 05:24:20 AM »
Still sorting out the bugs  :crash in the duke's power plan. Have had the engine running on steam, not reliable enough to install yet. Replaced the burner with original with slots instead of holes, working better.  :clap Lighting the said burner I folded up a spill as my grandmother used to light her gas lights. I put it out and low and behold blue smoke :great more smoke than the sticks and more important cheaper. so more experiments soon. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #396 on: April 21, 2011, 01:49:59 AM »
Just returned from holiday. So sorry to see your bad news Eddy.
 Still running in the steam plant, getting there slowly. P1 running but a lot of steam escaping from reversing valve. Pivot post not square  :oops P2 leak stopped running on 5psi.
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #397 on: April 21, 2011, 08:28:28 PM »
I have tried to put a vidio on u-tube will it work. Geoff
utube.com/watch?=KtMKpGHblHc  May be I will have to try when I have more time?
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #398 on: April 22, 2011, 05:03:06 AM »
NO good I will wait until my four year old grandson comes he will get it right. Geoff.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtMKpGHblHc That will find it!! Must take a better video next steam up Geoff.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 08:15:48 PM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #399 on: April 23, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »
NO good I will wait until my four year old grandson comes he will get it right. Geoff.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtMKpGHblHc That will find it!! Must take a better video next steam up Geoff.

Although YouTube seems to be on a bit of a go slow, so the video was very slow to load (not your fault Geoff!), it looks like the engine runs very nicely!

Any chance of doing a video that shows how it responds to the throttle please?

Regards
Eddy

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #400 on: April 23, 2011, 03:25:54 PM »
Hi Pd's......  :whistle

Eddy....I found after I had downloaded the slow download once.........& the re-reading or reviewing was all seamless :breakcomp

RGY...remember we are still watching  :nono

I thought the amount of external steam from the engine room was great..........like in a movie...........  :tongue1 ...keep up the good work.....Derek :beer

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #401 on: April 24, 2011, 06:48:29 AM »
Yes I will try to better the film. Eddy.
There was a leak of steam from the regulator seating tried to stop it by screwing the nut down tight, disaster striped the thread in the block :crash so no film this steaming. The good news is could you see the pressure gauge under 5lb and the motor still running. You do have a lot of patience Derek.  :respect
I have made progress with the smoke machine. Rolled toilet paper (unused)makes blue gray smoke in vast quantities. The tube gets a little hot so will have to fix an outer tube. Will film this later. Geoff
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 06:55:40 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #402 on: May 05, 2011, 11:57:04 PM »
Boiler in bits for modification :crash :sobbing Although I calculated the surface area to produce enough steam for the engine, it is very marginal.    :thinking The trouble I believe is the top of the boiler is to far away from the flame. So I am adding an other tube just above the burner. Geoff
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 11:59:56 PM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #403 on: May 06, 2011, 11:43:34 PM »
Well hullo PD's.....  :shhh...RGY....you know we are watching  :whistle...but I am stumped as to where the additional boiler tube is to join in........

a. like start & finish
b. like  :a102

Keep us posted....... :beer Derek

PS...I plan to spend a few hours on Sunday morning  :hammer modifying my Saito Y2DR to include an exhaust manifold.....
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #404 on: May 07, 2011, 02:07:27 AM »
Derek, I am glad you are keeping me under surveillance. Look at the pink tubes. New main tube 1/2" with elbow on front, caped and 1/4"tube up into the original top tube.At the bottom end the 1/4" semicircular  tube silver soldered to the end cap, then 3 number 1/8" holes drilled through the end cap into the 1/4" tube. (this done before fixing the end cap.) In the photos above the 1/4" tubes are about to be soldered into the existing. I have just got steam up, with the engine running can maintain constant pressure. I had to modify the burner to close to new tube kept going out. squashed in the vice sorted that. Geoff
G.Y.