Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE  (Read 191951 times)

Offline PeeWee

Re: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE
« Reply #165 on: April 15, 2010, 12:01:52 AM »
looking good, i like the window frames
Ian
Sane? who knows? who cares?

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #166 on: April 15, 2010, 04:47:38 AM »
 Eddy, Flat green not crown which I am guessing you play up north. I play on the sea front at TEIGNMOUTH it's our centenary year this year. We get about 30 touring teams visit us plus all the local games. I will be playing 140 matches, at least,  and if I get through rounds more than that. That is if I can stand the strain. On most Sundays I act as my sons mehcanic, he races moter cycal enduo. So I dont think the Duke will be finished in time for the PADDLE DAY. But I'm not giving up yet. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #167 on: April 15, 2010, 04:50:35 AM »
No, don't give up Geoff, there's still 5 months to go..... 

You seem to have all the basics done now, so hopefully it will come together quicker than you think!

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #168 on: April 15, 2010, 06:52:56 AM »
Eddy, NO never give up.
Ian, here are more windows. Starting with the balsa blank I stick the glass and veneer on with impact adhesive. I had enough of them to day, so I went into the engineering room, and made a tabernacle for the mast. I don't know if the original had one, more likely went through the deck. but I want to lower the mast for transport. A trick I employ when silver soldering is to hold the parts together with fire cement. As its heated it sets and is easily chipped of after.  The hearth is thermalite building blocks there reflect the heat not absorb it. Geoff
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 06:59:58 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #169 on: April 20, 2010, 04:59:51 AM »
Finished the stair. Having made a few stair cases in my working life this one was quite simple, as there are no risers. I glued 3 strips of 1/16 ply together at one edge. Marking out on the unstuck side of the strip, cut out. The strips are then glued to the ceiling of the stair which would be underneath, and glue on the treads. This section is resting on a ledge and is removable, so the gas can be turned off with out removing the rest of the superstructure. Lower photo shows the superstructure removed, Good access is most important with a working steam model. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #170 on: April 20, 2010, 05:20:15 AM »
I hope your going to build some paddleboxes onto the model Geoff or you'll have a bit more water than you intended both in and around the steam plant! :hehe

Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline PeeWee

« Reply #171 on: April 20, 2010, 05:49:18 AM »
looking good, I'm sure Eddy that Geof would not have had such an oversight. ;D
Ian
Sane? who knows? who cares?

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #172 on: April 20, 2010, 06:21:15 AM »
Eddy, thanks for the warning!! this will be one of the last jobs before painting. I plan on extending the sides of the hull up to the boat deck. So to leave maximum space around the wheels. Can't fit sides until the machinery is fitted after boiler test, in May. 
Ian, I am glad someone has faith in me. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #173 on: April 20, 2010, 06:42:03 AM »
Eddy, thanks for the warning!!

Geoff, you should be used to my silly sense of humour by now!  ;D

Eddy

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #174 on: April 21, 2010, 01:44:45 AM »
Eddy, I was being facetious, good job there's a spell checker. My sense of humor is worse than yours. Geoff
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 06:32:28 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #175 on: April 23, 2010, 07:40:43 AM »
Made the bulwark stantions, could have bought small brass angle. But I am too careful for that. So cut 1/4" strips of zinc off a sheet that came off our roof. Held it in the vice and tapped it over forming the angle, cleaned up the face with a file and center punched 4 rivets.  Marks on the vice the spacing is consistent. Spray painted black before fixing as the bulwarks are off white. On the over view the thick lines mark the position of the rails. As Consul the rail moved to the outside of the sponsons and the deck saloon extended the full width of the ship. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #176 on: April 24, 2010, 07:01:19 AM »
Fixed  funnel, small level on deck and one upright at stern. Rear level has to be in line with funnel or the rake on the funnel will not give a true line. Geoff
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 06:30:38 PM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #177 on: April 29, 2010, 02:31:49 AM »
Last post for a wile off on holiday!!!! Must remember to clean the windows. Geoff
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 02:34:18 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #178 on: May 13, 2010, 05:04:49 AM »
Building bits and pieces with my own light ply (1/6" balsa & veneer). My construction method can be seen below, I fit the sides into the hole, then fit the other side and top. Next I will remove from model and simulate the paneling and add other details. Also started on the life boats. I have used cereal box before, this is the first time with veneer? We will see. Just fitted the gar board strakes. Turned up the bollards, left a nipple to fit in hole in ply base. Marked out the steps to the bridge deck. ( the formula, twice the rise + the going should be near 27"). Lastly I had to jig up the bridge wing to see how it looked. Geoff.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 07:07:23 PM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #179 on: May 13, 2010, 05:22:00 AM »
Still progressing nicely Geoff.... I thought you were on holiday? So when did you get the time to do all of that?

There's still more than 4 months till Paddler Day, so there's hope yet! ;)

Eddy