Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE  (Read 191964 times)

Offline mjt60a

Re: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE
« Reply #150 on: March 30, 2010, 09:38:27 AM »
is it that the plates appear to be overlapped like in (a) when they should be like in (b)?
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #151 on: March 30, 2010, 07:29:14 PM »
Getting very warm Mick. The plates are lapped as in B. All the way up sometimes an inner-outer will be fitted at the turn of the bulge, depending on the number of strakes. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #152 on: March 31, 2010, 03:50:29 AM »
Finished the plating at last! The mistake is, I started plating from the stern  on the front section and the keel and gar board strake on the aft section, which is correct. Then for some unknown reason I started at the front of the aft section? Perhaps I was afraid of the double curve. I had original planed on making the top half of the sponsons removable, to facilitate the removal of the wheels, but I find they come out OK with it fixed. Had a mock up to see if she looks right. See below.Geoff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #153 on: April 06, 2010, 06:27:39 AM »
4 view's of the engine room. Feed pump completed & pipe work installed, bypass valve & stop valve. The stop valve will be shut when the boiler is brought up to pressure, as the clack only works when there is pressure in the boiler. Steam feed pipe insulated. The silicone pipe came out of the washing machine, (old one). Control servo will just fit  port aft corner, X marks the spot. As an experiment the condenser I plan on fitting around the base of the funnel. I hope it will get hot enough to steam off the water and may be turn the oil into smoke.Geoff
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 06:31:00 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #154 on: April 06, 2010, 04:26:25 PM »
Hi PD's.....thanks for sharing Geoff....many of us like the bolts & nuts of steam builds  :hammer 

Getting oil back into the funnel has the potential to literally drop down into the boiler & create hot spots    :shhh Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #155 on: April 06, 2010, 06:36:30 PM »
I didn't explain the separator correctly did I Derek. First it is NOT a condenser, I was expecting you to tell me about that. It will consist of a container around the funnel, this will separate the liquid from the vapor, the vapor will then exit at the top of the funnel. I then hope the liquid will evaporate and go up the small diameter pipe to the top of the funnel. The separator works by having the the exit pipe at a sharp angle to the inlet, the liquid can't turn as quick as the vapor, so falls to the bottom of the container. Typing this has given me a idea perhaps I will cut a hole in the boiler case, then the bottom plate of the container will be hot. Thanks Derek. Geoff
G.Y.

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #156 on: April 06, 2010, 09:15:01 PM »
OK PD's ....we can all take a joke  :a102 ...but why has RGY left his three nuts exposed in his photograph 004.jpg

:41 :16  :tongue1 ....

Many moons ago I spoke with Sandy Campbell about the potential of adding a squirt of sump oil into my ACS VB2 boiler ....he was not impressed with my  :shoot :sorry :c002 thoughts  ........Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #157 on: April 07, 2010, 12:35:33 AM »
My nuts are bigger than that Derek. OK not by much. A lot of saw dust to! must stop scratching my head.  All this has to come out for the boiler test, I have resolved the difficulty with the club tester. (originally said he could not test an own design).  NO oil will enter the boiler it will stay in the separator unless it gets burnt off, when it will exit out the exhaust, not into the boiler. You know the problem on a hot day very little steam shows at the funnel, just trying to make a gas fired smoke machine, if this is successful oil could be added to the separator before the voyage. Geoff
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 12:42:51 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #158 on: April 08, 2010, 07:42:49 PM »
Fitted the water supply tank. The razor blade, my neighbour just gave me a thousand should be enough to last me. No Derek I'm not cutting my throat yet.  Geoff
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 07:48:08 PM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #159 on: April 08, 2010, 08:22:55 PM »
Hi PD's...... :whistle RGY....in jpg 004 from a few days back ..... :hammer we see the boiler feed pump with my guess of 80 mm unsupported stroke length of say 3 mm diameter rod  :crash

Are you concerned with rod buckling considering you will be pumping against say 2.6 Bar x multiplied by the diameter of the piston =  :picknose ....... :a102 ......

Keep posting...we love steam engine builds.......Derek ...... :beer
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 08:25:48 PM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #160 on: April 09, 2010, 01:14:04 AM »
Well observed Derek 90mm + 2.8mm but only 1.75 bar, as 25 psi will be the pressure in the boiler. don't ask me to find the area of the piston at 1/4 inch diameter and then divide into 1 sq inch and then divide into the 25 lbs. far to complicated for me,  :-\ I'm only an old carpenter. As for the rod it's a very special steel, a knitting needle and if the wife can't bend it it must be OK.  Geoff
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 01:16:04 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #161 on: April 10, 2010, 05:33:05 AM »
Made a start on the superstructure, Must be as light as possible. Balsa sub deck to be planked, chart house balsa covered with mahogany veneer, and lemonade bottle glass. Changed the engine room vents, half a table tennis ball on a tube. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #162 on: April 14, 2010, 07:04:56 AM »
As Stuart said in his thread, Its gone quiet here again. So a few photos of the deck houses. Marking out the balsa. cut into strips and glue in window bars and plastic bottle glass. Cover with veneer then add frames, veneer strips. The spandrels of the stairs just cover the top of the gas canister. Our bowling season starts this week end, so progress will slow. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #163 on: April 14, 2010, 07:10:27 AM »
As Stuart said in his thread, Its gone quiet here again. So a few photos of the deck houses.

Yes it does go quiet from time to time Geoff, so any posts are VERY welcome!

The spandrels of the stairs just cover the top of the gas canister.

You aren't kidding when you say just are you!

Our bowling season starts this week end, so progress will slow. Geoff

I thought bowling was always slow! :hehe

Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #164 on: April 14, 2010, 11:46:39 PM »
Hi Geoff,
"Our bowling season starts this week end" What type of Bowling is it?
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long