Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE  (Read 193613 times)

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
Re: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE
« Reply #345 on: October 07, 2010, 06:47:03 AM »
Well Geoff ....enjoy the  :vacation   Derek......:beer
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #346 on: October 18, 2010, 02:56:40 AM »
Thank you Derek. I did enjoy but it's good to be home. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #347 on: October 19, 2010, 05:31:29 AM »
Mick your lights are probable better than mine for a paddler, being lighter. :hehe (weigh less)
Glad to be back in the shop. :terrific P1 The mast stays I completed before my holiday.  Too day P2&3 fix nav lights. The rest are of the filigree. I am pleased with this, painted over then rub off before dry, concealed the edges and heightened the relief. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #348 on: October 19, 2010, 08:16:28 PM »
Love the scrollwork Geoff - Very neat! ;)

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline djcf

« Reply #349 on: October 20, 2010, 12:08:31 AM »
Hi Geoff,
Yes very nice I like that....adds a nice touch to the bow stern and paddleboxes 8)

Clark

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #350 on: October 20, 2010, 07:54:43 PM »
Clark, yes the Duke is almost ready for flotation tests. ::) So I will be first in the water. Just the portholes  to fix although they are well above the water line I will wait. As I will be replacing the insulation inside the boiler. I have found lighter material in my cellar I had forgotten about. Named "fireplank" made for fireproofing buildings. If soaked in water it goes like a biscuit dunked to long in tea. So will be plastered on to the case. Below is how she looks at the moment. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #351 on: October 20, 2010, 09:15:43 PM »
OK PD's....what do we say......... :clap ...... :kewlpics RGY....congratulations on the build & build thread

These threads are an inspiration to us all....:c017

BTW..... :a102 is that tall yellow container on the bench immeadiately above the bow in PICT 0006?   ...Derek
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 09:18:13 PM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #352 on: October 20, 2010, 11:25:46 PM »
Derek, Glad you have warmed a little to something called "Duke of Devonshire". The yellow object in 0006 is a "MAPP" gas canister, good for silver soldering, higher temperature than butane propane mix. Buy the way if anyone has missed my boiler build it can be found on this forum, under live steam / then boilers?. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline mjt60a

« Reply #353 on: October 21, 2010, 05:45:45 AM »
Looks very good indeed!  ;D
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #354 on: October 22, 2010, 07:28:16 AM »
Made the anchors tonight. P1 the raw materials, with one set of flukes filed out and  holes drilled in the shank.  P2 soldering together, I use fire cement to hold small items in place, the cement hardens and brakes off after. A fillet of solder is built up then shaped with coarse sand paper.(don't clog up a file) I rub carbon (pencil) where I don't want solder to run. P3 ready for paint, copper wire with 3 blobs of solder forms the stock. Geoff
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 07:29:56 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #355 on: October 24, 2010, 08:40:24 AM »
Named but not launched yet. The second photo shows the two parts pulled a part. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #356 on: October 27, 2010, 07:57:38 PM »
Now here is a question? As I have said previously no details of the extreme fore deck can be found, well not for 1900. In my opinion two options remain. Option 1 lay the anchors on the deck. Option 2 fix them to the bulwarks. This may seem strange, but this ship had many features of the sailing schooners of that time. And there where still using cat heads to secure anchors. This method would give more room. opinions welcome. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #357 on: October 28, 2010, 02:55:36 AM »
 :goodnews  Launched the Duke of Devonshire today. Cider not champagne :beer Floats just above the water line with1lb 10oz of lead ballast but no water in feed tank or boiler. As can be seen she floats up right if a little unstable, can get the lead down lower and add a little. The bad news two leaks, one through the peg at the joint, no trouble, small amount of epoxy. The other is up in the bow somewhere! Have to mix resin and try to paint inside with along brush. Still not varnished the hull so this will help. All in all very happy so far. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline old man

« Reply #358 on: October 28, 2010, 07:01:41 PM »
Hi Geoff,
              I have watched your build from the begining now here is a really important question WHEN are we going to see this cracking boat at Creally.
                   Regards Roger

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #359 on: October 28, 2010, 11:52:02 PM »
That is a closely guarded secret. Rodger! :shhh I don't even know myself.  Still a lot to do before any public appearances. You may be lucky to catch me testing on a nice day midweek, during the winter. If no one is there. I am removing the boiler & engine to bench test, run in, adjust the return valve and generally familiarize myself. Then reinstall and add the rest of the radio. So in time for steam day or the fathers day meet. Which ever is first and then it depends on the weather?  Geoff
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 11:56:01 PM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.