Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Ideas for future builds  (Read 3671 times)

Offline Hankwilliams

Re: Ideas for future builds
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 12:42:55 AM »
Idea for making the rollers - this bamboo bowl has exactly correct diameter of 30 cm for a model scale of 1 : 32. No joke!

Thomas

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2018, 02:39:30 PM »
 :clap :clap :clap

Perhaps little paddle blade on the wheel float would eliminate the need for a propellor making it a paddle boat.

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2018, 06:49:49 PM »
Even strips on the side of the wheels like spokes might provide adequate forward motion.

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2018, 09:16:39 PM »
I really consider of building a 1 : 32 model of Bazin`s roller boat. By the original boat the rollers were turned by 3 small steam engines of only 50 hp each to minimize friction between this elements and water. May be, with more powerful engines the success of the construction would have come to better results? At the model, the rollers could be turned by electric motors, the screw by steam engine. The attraction, to make such an model, is the uncommon and singular construction.  Although some questions are existing: Nautic stability, displacement, weight and draught, Probably the solution must be experimental. My occupation came to an end this year, there will be time to more fields of interests. In every case, the roller bout would be a unique technical construction...

Thomas

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2018, 09:41:07 PM »
Another possibly project:

Interesting little paddlesteamer "Marie" on Lake Ammersee in Bavaria. The boat was built by Escher-Wyss in 1878 and in navigation until 1908.
Plans I draw with enlargment to scale 1 : 24 from the drawing of late Will von Gaessler, a bavarian engineer and great steamboat enthusiast.
The model with lenght of 110 cm would be manageable, but big enough to install a steamengine.
I add some pictures, the potrait is the legendary lake Ammersee captain Ludwig Brackenhofer.

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2018, 08:08:18 PM »
Another plan and watercolor by Will von Gaessler: First Lake Ammersee steamer "Omnibus", builder date unknown, but probably before 1870.This little paddler was first used on river Neckar and Ludwigskanal (Connection between River Main and Danube, initiated by King Ludwig I).
She came in 1877 to the lake, but wasn`t very suitable caused by the small locomobile type engine and stability problems. The water color shows the boat together with the new "Marie".
By "Omnibus" no contemporary picture exists, W. v. Gaessler draw plan and picture after historical descriptions.

Thomas

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2018, 10:29:59 PM »
Some terrific information, thanks Thomas :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2018, 03:18:17 PM »
Hullo Thomas.......Omnibus this is a rather ominous name for a Paddler  :squareone.....

When you mention stability issues, we assume this was countered by the addition of a float like additions bolted to each side of the hull fwd of the paddleshaft axis

It would be interesting to build, but very small as a model if kept  your standard scale

Derek

PS.....the specification data listing 250 Person's would appear a little optimistic
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 03:24:39 AM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2018, 08:56:29 PM »
Hi Derek,

yes, the floats were added because great stability problems on the lake with wind and waves. Scale should be at least 1 : 20 for a model, but I would prefer "Marie"- in 1 : 24, a little boat with good proportions.

Thomas

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2018, 03:15:28 AM »
Yes Thomas......I do like the profile of the "Marie" and proportions should be fine for your fleet :whistle

That reverse Cruiser bow looks appealing, the smaller horizontal boiler and a semi exposed engine  :kiss1

The stern rudder looks a little short but could easily be increased  :crash

Derek

Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2018, 06:09:53 AM »
Hi Derek,

yes, the rudder must be enlarged. Send a few further pictures of small Amper river steamer "Marie Therese" later "Wessobrunn". Amper is a diminutive river, which comes out Lake Ammersee. The excellent 1 : 25 models of "Marie Therese" and "Marie" were made by the resident ship modeller Peter Stumbaum - our member Andy, who lives at Lake Ammersee, will know him.

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2018, 08:16:45 AM »
Thomas....this "Marie Therese" would appear to be a great contender for a Regner 12x36 split engine....just as you have used before

With a little thought :gathering, I think it could inclined & split with one cylinder on either side of the boiler :trophy

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Bierjunge

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2018, 06:59:57 PM »
Just another oddity concerning the Amper river steamer "Marie Therese"/"Wessobrunn":
After decommissioning, it was purchased by the famous Ammersee resident, inventor and sports sailor Manfred Curry (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manfred_Curry) who converted its hull into a stylish, Art Deco steamline luxury yacht:

Moritz

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2018, 10:33:35 PM »
Doubtless really fascinating ship architecture, Moritz. I dont want to dimish the workmanship. But the impression of speed is only external, the streamlined "Tiger" hasn`t any propulsion, she only was used as a houseboat.
Biggest and most beautiful paddler on Lake Ammersee was "Gisela" later "Augsburg", in navigation from 1893 to 1963. I add the historic photo from 1893 und the plan of Will von Gaessler. Peter Stumbaum made an excellent 1 : 25 model of her.

Thomas

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2018, 10:40:14 PM »
Peter Stumbaums model of "Gisela"