Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: lettering  (Read 7685 times)

badersbus

lettering
« on: January 29, 2005, 08:21:19 AM »
Hi Everybody.
Discovered the web site from the link on New Brighton model boat club , thanks guys for creating it.
I have a question about lettering on boats , can any one help with how to create authentic looking lettering with out the lifetime skills of the signwriter ?
 They type what i am after is the letters that look like they are painted on , with great creativity , swirls , old school if you like ! . Is it  possible to create these with computers , vinyls etc , commercially available lettering ?
What do you think guys.
Any help would be appreciated
Kirk :wink:

towboatjoe

lettering
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 08:58:08 AM »
Victorian is a nice looking font of old style. I use my computer to make decals. They make decal paper for both ink jet and laser printers. You just make your design with a graphics software, print it out and put a clear coat on it. After it's dry it's ready to be put on the model like any other decal.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
lettering
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 09:06:17 AM »
Any advice on which brand of decal paper to use Joe? I have a standard HP deskjet printer and it's something I've fancied trying for a while....

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
lettering
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 09:20:48 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Welcome to our little corner of the web, nice to have you with us!

The "Louiseville Lady" is a nice looking model by the way, just a shame she isn't a working model....

I'm afraid I can't answer your question, but I see "Towboat" Joe has jumped in, so hopefully he can help?

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

towboatjoe

decal paper
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 09:27:21 AM »
Well since you live across the pond from me, there was a discussion on Model Boats Forum about where to buy decal paper in G.B. It under the Materials, Tools, and Adhesives folder. There were several links there.

If you have any lettering or design that uses white then you'll want to print on white decal paper. If there is no white then use clear. On R/C boats, some modelers will put a clear coat of paint over the decal after it's applied to the model to waterproof it. Most of the time I'll use the same color paint of the structure I applied it too just to outline the edge of the decal to seal it good.

When you buy decal paper, the supplier should also have a clear coat that goes on the decal after it's printed. With ink jets it's usually a spray on. I know with my laser, my clear coat brushes on, and I also have a bottle of setting solution the softens the decal and makes it take the shape of anything it's applied over, such as a rivet or joint.

To save paper I print my design on paper first and check the size to be sure everything is as I want it. Then I tape the decal paper on the same paper and set the printer for high quality print and then make my decal. As the decal paper gets smaller I can still use it by taping it over my test run paper and printing again.

towboatjoe

lettering
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2005, 09:47:06 AM »
Kirk, Here are some font examples......

Offline Sean Bryan

Where do yuo get the Showboat font from?
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2005, 11:24:43 AM »
Where do you get the Showboat font from? because I would like toget hold of it
Theatre Producer, World Traveler, Paddle Steamer Enthusiast

www.seanbryan.com

towboatjoe

font
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2005, 01:08:57 PM »
Do an internet search for "showboat font"
A lot of sites you have to pay for the fonts, some are free.
If you can't find it I'll try to see if I can email you the font.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
lettering
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2005, 09:41:40 PM »
Cheers Joe,

That's answered most of my questions. I like the tip about taping the small pieces of decal paper onto a sheet of A4 so you don't waste any - Nice idea!

For anyone else that's interested in having a go at making their own decals, the following companies all seem to supply the necessary materials.

http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/
http://www.micromark.com/
http://www.paper-paper.com/
http://www.ceramic-decals.co.uk/model-decal-paper.html
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=65250&item=6943180214&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Time to dig out the credit card to get some of this stuff ordered and start experimenting I think....

Regards
Eddy

badersbus

lettering
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2005, 11:21:06 PM »
Thanks for the help guys , i did not expect such an excellent response , The decals on the " Louiseville Lady " were simply done on my pc and glued to a plastic card. Obviously this would be no good at the pond as they are not waterproof. I am building a Stancraft Torpedo at the moment , not a paddle wheeler i know :roll: , but this is what i am after the lettering for. They need to be really thin so i can lacquer over them and hopefully hide the edge.
Once again thanks for the help
All the best Kirk

towboatjoe

decal
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2005, 01:19:20 AM »
Here's a model I did a lot of decal work on. Name boards, draft marks, stack logo, and company colors on railing. I also make my own flags using plain paper, a double image side to side to have both sides of the flag, then I spread glue on the back side fold it over a string of thread, then let it dry. After it dries I hold the flag with tweezers along the thread and fold the flag like an accordian and shape it to look like the wind is moving it.

Offline mjt60a

lettering
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2005, 02:56:46 AM »
I hadn't known about 'decal paper' for printers, that'd be very useful.
I have before used Lettraset (or other brand of dry transfers) for lettering, it used to be available in a range of fonts, colours and sizes from office or artists supply shops.
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

Offline Sean Bryan

Where do i put the font now
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2005, 10:18:33 PM »
Ok I have the .tts file for showboat now how do I put it in word

www.seanbryan.com

Offline Sean Bryan

I GOT IT
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2005, 10:24:51 PM »
I worked it out and now I'm ready to print my decals away!

www.seanbryan.com