Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Ideas for future builds  (Read 13838 times)

Offline Hankwilliams

Re: Ideas for future builds
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2019, 07:46:28 AM »
I found this article in the book "Low Danube Paddle Steamers" by Romanian author Cristian Craciunoiu. This "ADA" ist a strange but interesting little steamer, a model built would not very expensive and difficult. Nevertheless, I don`t belief the conjecture of the author, that the Ada`s engine would be the former engine of "Carolina".

Thomas

Offline kno3

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2020, 09:21:51 PM »
I found this article in the book "Low Danube Paddle Steamers" by Romanian author Cristian Craciunoiu. This "ADA" ist a strange but interesting little steamer, a model built would not very expensive and difficult. Nevertheless, I don`t belief the conjecture of the author, that the Ada`s engine would be the former engine of "Carolina".

Thomas

Very interesting story. The Ada would indeed make a very interesting model,  because of the exposed engine and gears.

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2020, 11:18:00 PM »
Yes, she is very interesting. For a while, I considered that she may be a suitable object for the step by step instruction of building a steamdriven model in my making book of steamboat models. But probably the gear reduction with big cogwheels would be too difficult for unexperienced modellers.

Thomas

Offline Tomas Krejci

• when the ship .. so only on the hill
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2020, 11:57:12 PM »
Hi all,
            let me go back to my model of Lulonga and my articles here at Paddleducks.(sorely the original link was closed)
One of my articles here  described the unusual design of sternwheelers (KDRK). There are links to youtube, only in Russian language. However, I recommend that you review the links.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD0IIoDBDP0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4anj82CXTMc

To illustrate, I attach pictures of the wheels of my model Lulonga and a new design of wheels, which the manufacturer consulted with VGUVT (Volga State University of Water Transport).
Even to return to my Lulonga model, the model is quite manoeuvrable, but the problem was the longitudinal balance, due to the shape of the back. This reduces the rear displacement combined with the weight of the wheels and engines. Therefore, I recommend extending the model by at least 20 cm (8 ").
 Somebody can wondering why the paddles are angled on the wheels and not parallel to the wheel shaft (as seen on most ships)?..
You can find the answer in one of my articles here at Paddleducks. It is a shortened translation from a Russian source, which is unfortunately unavailable right now. Basically, it is about increasing the efficiency of fixed-paddle wheels. I have such wheels in the model Lulonga.
It is difficult to assess effectiveness on a model.
But the model is easy to operate and turns in place (each wheel is steered separately). Worse, the model is short and hard to hold direction  because it has a flat bottom.
ps> http://www.paddleducks.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=6228.msg34636#msg34636
  >http://www.paddleducks.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=6113.0
  >http://www.paddleducks.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=6228.0

Greetings
Tom
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 02:39:14 AM by Tomas Krejci »
Steam....GO!

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2020, 06:58:07 PM »
A nice and very well built african sternwheeler. Also interesting the diagonal paddles. I know, that there is an preserved american sternwheel tugboat also with diagonal paddles. But - this will be an interesting question: Is the grade of efficiency really better than with even paddles?

Thomas

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2020, 07:08:54 PM »
Also a good proposition for future builds: The little sternwheeler "Explorer" of lieutenant Ives Colorado expedition 1857. The picture was made by german painter Balduin Möllhausen, a member of the expedition. The hull of "Explorer" was made of iron and nearly 100 years later the remains of the little ship were discovered in a swamp near the river - only the skeleton with rips and frames.

Offline Tomas Krejci

« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2020, 10:31:26 PM »
Hi,
      as for diagonal paddles, I think research of this type has confirmed its effectiveness (see the excerpt of articles). As for my model - I would say it is more adroit than if it had direct paddles.It is also partially visible by the shape of the keel wave. As I wrote, the model is powered by two independent motors with a gearbox and is controlled by changing the speed of the left or right engine. Using diagonal paddles, it rotates practically in place.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79HU1iBjRd4&list=PL7LWozsdJ62yxvE8-CjQWKRz5dFNAvgsR&index=2
But I didn't try the model with straight paddles..
Plus, I quite like the diagonal paddles...
Greetings

Tom
Steam....GO!

Offline Tomas Krejci

« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2020, 10:56:42 PM »
Maybe new russian paddleboat with diagonal paddles from Moscow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQS_0BMU_F0

Tom

« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 11:12:43 PM by Tomas Krejci »
Steam....GO!

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2020, 03:06:27 AM »
Interesting construction.
Of course, the paddles must be anti - streamlined as far as possible and these diagonal paddles are the closest possibility. But it seems strange, that this construction was only realised very rarely.

Greetings Thomas

Offline Steven S

• Winnipeg, middle of Canada
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2020, 08:16:42 AM »
Hi Tomas - I am designing my own version of an Australian Drogher in 1:24 scale as I can't seem to find much information anywhere.  I'm wondering if anyone thinks that diagonal paddles would be too out of place on it.  I am starting out with the standard paddle configuration, but I think that I will make a set of these type of wheels to test on it.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 11:21:13 PM by Steven S »

Offline Tomas Krejci

« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2020, 02:11:07 AM »
Hi Steve,
             If you try both types of paddles, I will be curious about the result of their comparison.
I have two engines in my model, each with ESC, I control all with one stick. I have motor control on channel 3 (throttle) and channel 1 (ailerons) mixed using a V-tail mixer. It seemed easier to me, I couldn't set the mix directly on the transmitter, the transmitter mix didn't work properly. I normally have rudder on channel 4.With such a mix it is very simple to operate.
But I must say that I really do not know a similar steamer in Australia (on the Murray River) with a similar configuration.
In the French magazine Modele Reduit de bateau there is a plan of a steamer with a similar configuration (quarterwheeler).
Somewhere I still have a plan for a similar German steamer, also designed for Africa.
Tom
Steam....GO!

Offline Steven S

« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2020, 11:19:05 PM »
Our summer is coming to an end here in Canada, it was 5° when I got up today and will get to a high of 11° so building season is just about here.  I will build the boat over the winter and will do some comparison runs with both types of paddlwheels next spring Tom.

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2020, 07:28:02 PM »
Interesting boat, Steven. Can yo post a plan or any drawings?

Thomas

Offline Tomas Krejci

« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2020, 10:49:55 PM »
Hi,
     I enclose here a circuit diagram of my Lulonga model. I control the model with the right stick on the transmitter,Channel 3 _throttle - engines forward and backward and Channel 1 Ailerons -for right and left steering.
Tom
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 10:53:36 PM by Tomas Krejci »
Steam....GO!

Offline Steven S

« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2020, 02:46:21 AM »
Tomas – I use a Spectrum DX6 G2 transmitter to control my airplanes and my first boat.  It is programmable so I hope use the V-tail programming in it for this boat.  I am a few months away from that part of the project and will consult your wiring diagrams before starting, thanks for posting them.  I plan on using two of the same motor that I used on my first boat, built during the Covid shutdown as it sails very nicely with that setup.
  Thomas - I couldn't find any drawings so I am designing my very "non" scale version based on several pictures I've found and stories I've read.  It will be from 900 mm to 1 metre long and 280 mm wide.