Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Totnes Castle  (Read 19276 times)

Offline R.G.Y.

Re: Totnes Castle
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2013, 05:06:34 AM »
No work on the boats I'm afraid :picknose But I have been in the shop,, jobs for the boss. :kiss1 I did manage a little bit of play.  :offtopic :hijack  See below the grandson's Birthday pressent still needs burner, box and tools. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2013, 09:20:36 PM »
To many projects at the moment, but I am making 4mm + 1mm aluminium angle for the wheels. As i said before I may change from Totnes to Kingswear Castle with the boat now in the River Dart. As I have a friend on the steam railway who have the care of the boat. Photos of the production line aluminium angle, starting with an old TV areal or shelving . The circle bent between fingers and thumb.Geoff
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 09:24:52 PM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2013, 10:17:12 PM »
Hi PD's........ :whistle ....RGY...do you intend to flame solder  :hammer the aluminium angle components together? 

...over the past 35 years I have attempted such black art of flame soldering this alloy  :c002 without any great success.......

The first joint always seems OK....then the next fails through oxidation or lack of cleaninless...even though it was pre cleaned & pre fluxed...& just waiting for the flame  :41

We would be most interested in your aluminium soldering process.......... Derek  :beer

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2013, 08:13:53 PM »
NO NO Derek you should know me better than that. Far to expensive unless I can get something cheep its not for me. My plan is to use rivets made  :hammer :hammer by my self from reclaimed copper wire. Building a wheel this way will be a challenge  :picknose :picknose I don't know if I can manage it. Perhaps  :thinking I should wait until I finish before I post any thing. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2013, 08:35:06 PM »
Hi Geoff,

Please do not wait until your finished before you post something!

I always find it fascinating to see how others do things, and the best way to learn is from your mistakes. Yes we've ALL made them! So waiting until you've finished removes the mistakes, which means we can't get the most from your endeavours....

I hope you know that whilst there may be a small amount of micky taking, the Paddleducks members do like to see things "warts and all", that's how we learn! I know you've got broad shoulders, so take the plunge and show us - If (and it's a BIG if, as I don't expect it to happen), someone wants to be nasty about your attempts, I will personally jump on them from a great height!

Regards
Eddy
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 08:51:23 PM by Eddy Matthews »
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2013, 08:37:26 PM »
OK PD's ...... :whistle ...I don't know what RGY is on about here  .....
But it is always good to ask & keep him in 'cheque & humour' but :shhh....aluminium disks + copper rivets = an electrical current when immersed in salty water...... :shoot
They will fall apart after 36 seconds or 28.5 RPM which ever occurs first...... :darn

Was just the other night I saw a posting on another WEB site from that person  :hammer :hammer :hammer [called Hammer] & offering images of his model sailing vessels.........
All too much for me .....goodnight :beer ....Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Harold H. Duncan

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2013, 08:37:46 PM »
Well said Eddy.
Much better to see all Geoff, then everyone learns, and understanding clearer
cheers
kiwi

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2013, 09:06:48 AM »
Right Eddy & kiwi, i HAVE MADE A BIG MISTAKE. :c002More later first I need to answer my friend Derek. Thank you for letting me know about dissimilar metals in salt water. More of that another day typing with one finger today. I will over come this by covering the joint in tomato sauce. Unfortunately that is not T.S. in photo. As for that Hammer I know him quite well. just a  pommy poser.
Now the big mistake, pride comes before a fall. I posted on the Duke thread, I have been a carpenter for over 50 years & still have all my fingers. Well using the safest machine in my shop ( the linisher) the wood slipped and i caught two fingers between the belt and fence. SHMBO has locked the shop door and I am band.Geoff
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 09:10:23 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2013, 09:26:43 AM »
oooh nasty Geoff! :(

Hope it all heals up quickly!

My daftest mistake was drilling through the side of a hull to take the paddleshaft - Yep, my fingers were right where the drill bit emerged! I never realised a 2mm hole could bleed so much!!

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2013, 04:12:06 PM »
Goodness PDs....I felt a sharp twinge the other morning.....our feelings go out to you RGY....I must agree with your SHMBO  :41...stay out of the shed for a few days

Sit back & have a  :vacation & be waited on day & night with  :coffee ....just think of all the hours you can spend on marine WEB sites..... :breakcomp ......keep us posted on your progress ....Derek :beer
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Harold H. Duncan

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2013, 10:19:15 PM »
ouch,
Have a well earned rest for a wee bit   :oops
well that should be it for another 50 years,
take care
kiwi

Offline Spankbucket

• Emigre from South London
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2013, 07:35:57 PM »
O U C H !

I once saw someone injured by a spindle moulder and my inherent fear of powered machines was re-confirmed!!

Hope it heals OK and Soon...All the best.

Cheers...Bernie

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2013, 04:10:17 AM »
Thanks for your best wishes, every cloud has a silver lining I don't have to do the washing up now.  Back to the effect of sea water on dissimilar metals.I once had a boat ( sold when I had my heart attack). A 10meter princess Twin diesels  cruising speed 25 knots. One winters day I was going from Torquay to Dartmouth for fuel, When an engine alarm sounded. Lifting the hatch shock horror engine bay half full of water. ( good job they where diesels) . An anode had been missed under the heat exchanger and a 3" hole was pumping water in faster then the bilge pumps could pump it out. With the offending engine stopped the pumps got the upper hand and I didn't have to swim. So I did know about this problem DEREK. Here is a picture of the good old days, when I had hair. GEOFF 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 04:18:15 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline Spankbucket

• Emigre from South London
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2013, 07:52:51 PM »
Oh the pleasures of youth!!!

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2013, 06:58:14 AM »
Still going to the hostpital, every day this week, but now I don't have to attend until Tuesday. So getting better. Geoff
G.Y.