Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Totnes Castle  (Read 19931 times)

Offline R.G.Y.

Re: Totnes Castle
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2013, 04:27:52 AM »
Here is the box for the engine, which caused all the trouble. A ring for the paddle wheel riveted together, it is also epoxy ed, don't want it coming apart in salt water. :hehe Geoff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2017, 03:17:47 AM »
1st of March 2013, the last post. How time flies when enjoying yourself. Totnes Castle on the back burner all that time. While I made another engine for grandson 2, a topsail schooner and a traction engine almost complete.
So thoughts have returned to Totnes Castle. As the new club lake is very restricted, water lilies & tree roots, a big model is unsuitable. So now hope to get her down to 32" long. The engine will be a tight fit, but a new boiler will be required. More soon.   
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2017, 10:33:28 PM »
 Anyone who has see my builds will know I don't work from a plan in the normal way. I use the board & model to draw on.   Prepared the slipway. Scraped off all the glue that dripped from the last construction, and painted over the old markings.  Decided on a scale of 10mm = 1ft, almost the same as 3/8" but much less complicated to work out. Marked out the position of the frames, lofting frames next.   
G.Y.

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2017, 08:35:33 AM »
Yes RGY...we have seen this building board before  :hammer ......

Must agree that those Romans  :gathering had a good idea in the Metric system 

Looking forward to your new build....

Derek.....:beer
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2017, 02:14:48 AM »
Progress quicker on Totnes Castle again after the long weight. Frames lofted & marked on insulation foam. laid the keel with stem & rudder post. Formed the box for the steam plant, this is to scale. Unfortunately the boiler I made for the original idea will not fit. (Photo 3) I will have to make a new one 4.5+4.5.  Looked in the scrap box found bearings & a selection of gears. The reason for keeping the engine room to scale. I hope to fit out the saloons, hiding the radio under the stairs. We shall see. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 02:19:26 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2017, 08:26:43 PM »
I almost had to abandon Totnes castle again, having dropped Glen Usk (my avatar) down the cellar steps. A lot of damage to repair, however I can get both models on the bench. So can take it in turns. Started to form the hull, my method can be seen in photo. Cut out 2 patterns for each station, remove all but one of the silver backing. Glue together & cut to width between stations. Using the keel & the temporary strip on top to keep inline. The remaining silver goes on the station. I have removed some of the centre to hell remove foam after hull completed.   
G.Y.

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2017, 08:42:16 PM »
Sorry to hear of the damage  :sorry I feel your pain :darn :darn :darn

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2017, 02:59:56 AM »
T.C. hull ready for shaping. Experimented with melting solder on tin on foam, no problems the foam didn't burn or melt. So I am going to try to make the hull of tin plate.
G.U. hull & boiler repaired just a bit of paint & all the those deck fittings now. Thanks for the sympathy, Damien.
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2017, 01:32:03 AM »
Cut off most of the excess foam with a knife. Then into the garden, standing up wind, removed the rest with a blacksmith's rasp. total time about 5 minuets. Started on the deck, making my own ply, consisting of 1/16" balsa with hard wood veneer on the bottom & deck planks on the top.
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2017, 03:39:43 AM »
Ply for the deck veneer on both sides now. I am hoping this will set the shear on the model without fixing. It will be removable as with steam plenty of room & quick access is required.
the marks on the foam are the run of the plates.
G.Y.

Offline Spankbucket

• Emigre from South London
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2017, 08:02:50 PM »
A mere bagatelle??!!

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2017, 09:29:22 PM »
Just a mere bagatelle. Well spotted a Christmas present for the grand kids. It may get them off Iphones computers for a little. 
 Drawn the plans on the sub deck, no problems there. Started the plating always work from the stern, unfortunately the most difficult part. But if I can manage here should be no problems with the rest. Cleaned off the tin with brake cleaner, before & after shown.
Work will be delayed a little as I have my nurses uniform on again.  My wife has just had her 5th opp in 4 years, if I can look after her half as god as she looks after me I will be doing ok.
G.Y.

Offline Spankbucket

• Emigre from South London
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2017, 07:31:27 PM »
I had a green one as a kid...have you repainted yours? (the bagatelle that is)?

Hope your wife recovers full health as soon as possible.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2017, 08:37:12 PM »
My brother- in law had a green bagatelle, must have been a popular colour. No this one is all my work, yellow was all the paint I had.
G.Y.

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2017, 11:07:52 PM »
Yes of course RGY....our best health wishes to your good wife...... :bravo

[she must be a good woman to put up with you for all of these years  :shhh]

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia