Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Totnes Castle  (Read 19598 times)

Offline R.G.Y.

Re: Totnes Castle
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2012, 04:21:46 AM »
Coming on now, completed the crank today. Note the inside of the arm has been relieved to increase the width of the bearing. No play this weekend unfortunately.  AGM of bowling club in morning then wedding (not mine) in afternoon. Sunday off motor bike enduro racing, what will the mud be like? after the monsoon this week. Geoff
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 04:23:28 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 03:48:52 AM »
So you all know what is happening in the 7th photo in this thread? Well I am going to tell you any way. I am aligning the ports with the con rod , as when I silvered the port face to the cylinder it moved. So no good measuring off the edge of that. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 09:31:16 PM »
Almost there just the regulator- reverser & the ports to drill. But then the horrible job of lapping in the faces. The studs which hold the end caps are from 1/2" 10BA screws. First set them in with locthight with 2 nuts on, when set part the nuts & cut off. (between the nuts). When the nuts are removed the thread will be restored. I am left with 24 3/16" bolts I plan to use on the paddle wheels. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 10:39:54 PM »
Hi PD's.... & all very interesting RGY......tell us :whistle @ the AGM of the Bowlo club,,,,, were you re-elected "El Presienentie"?  ......Derek :a102 ......
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2012, 04:15:11 AM »
NO Derek you should know I am into boats, so the CAPTAINS Job for me again.  :police: Geoff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2012, 03:30:48 AM »
I should have finished the engine today. But I should never have gone in the workshop, not at all well touch of flu. (man, bird, pig, Asian, cow or what I don't know.)  I was keen to get it running tomorrow, but not now. I took to much off the piston so had to make a new one. Then I decided to mill a grove down the centre of the frame, the Collete came lose so the frame ruined. I would have spent 34 hours on it as i only play 3 hours a day in the week and have Sat & Sun off. So today Spent 6 hours to get back where I was this morning. THis all happened after I had drilled the steam passages & ports using the Stan Bray method, as below.  Geoff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2012, 03:48:48 AM »
 All day lapping aaaaaand fitting aaaand adjusting.  :'( The scrap frame & new one with marker pen on the port face. After 2 movements of the cylinder face & a good seal around the ports. I have adjusted the pistons so they just touch the holes in the cylinders both ends. just had to skim 1mm off each piston ends. Then screw the big end in and out until exactly right, with loctight on the threads. The con rod has a 6BA thread in the piston & a 7BA in the big end, this is so it will pass through the gland in the cap. As the 6BA expands the rod. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 09:02:53 PM »
Still not quite finished, other things got in the way. Made the reversing control, as I don't have a rotary table had to bodge. Taking a length of 1"x 1/8" bar marking out & drill pivot hole. Place rod in vice centre, fit bar, move sideways required amount rotate by hand & feed cutter down slowly.  This was an improvement on the last one I made, not having a mill before. I had to cut a slice off a 1" rod chain drill the slots right through and file clean, then silver solder a plate on the back. 
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2012, 08:39:24 PM »
News on the local radio. The P.S. KINGSWEAR CASTLE is coming back to south Devon. Half an hour drive from my home, on a good day one & a half hours in the summer. She will be plying up the River Dart to Totnes & back, as she did in her working days. So I may only may, change my plan and build her instead. The only down side is she has been modeled before. I do like something different. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2012, 09:57:54 PM »
Back from holiday  :vacation & had the engine running. See the video only short but it proves it will self start, just needs bedding in now. One disadvantage with design can't turn it over with a drill.  :16 Geoff
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bF6oH9bNWA
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2012, 09:25:38 PM »
Run the engine in here is a much better video. Geoff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PsbzyY5hjQ
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2012, 01:10:36 AM »
Deciding on the scale next. My engine will drive a model up to 6ft long with no trouble. The Totnes Castle was 79.5ft BP & 85ft over all by 13.33" beam plus paddle boxes @ 4.5" each.  So .75" =1ft will give a model 63.75" x 10" room for the plant & fits in to my car. I will be adding 1" to the depth of hull for more stability, as 6.9ft=5.25" plus 1" = 6.25". The wheels @10ft x 4ft = 7.5" x 3", they will be easy to make as the floats are fixed but there are 12 of them.   Geoff
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 01:16:16 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2012, 09:02:14 AM »
Hi PD's.......mmmmmmmm just thinking RGY.....and with a little designers licence  :hehe ...you could leave the engine room & boiler room without a roof  :hammer

Not much good on a rainy day   :nono ....but how beautiful to view the splender of your engine & boiler working....... :s_cool

Merry Christmas to you...........Derek  :beer
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2012, 08:52:01 PM »
Sorry Derek I am a rivet counter, so could not deviate from scale. Any way the rain in Devon never stops. 
Yes a  very happy Christmas :beer to you Derek, I know you will be looking. Your winging pommy friend. & of course the same to every one who has followed my threads. GEOFF
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 09:00:54 PM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2013, 01:43:50 AM »
 I have been looking at KIM's Volcanic paddle wheels :bravo worth a gold medal.
 Been in the shop started TC's wheels. At 10" they would need a lot of aluminium if cut from the solid as I have done in the past. So being careful (tight) :a102 I will be building them from strip, angle 1/8" which I will be making from recycled ali. Will be using jigs as I did form my traction engine wheels. See photos. 
I am sure Eddy will remember the ELF who helps me in the shop sometimes. He will be 6 next birthday so I have started his  :gift present. A vertical boilered single oscillator.Geoff
G.Y.