Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE  (Read 191959 times)

mogogear

Re: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE
« Reply #495 on: May 31, 2012, 04:41:09 AM »
I cannot wait till you issue the hardbound and illustrated build book with all of your wonderful solution's :tongue1

It will be the best read I will have had in a while....a real nailbiter :great and Best seller !!

Full steam ahead Geoff- I have some compressed Kaowool ( ceramic fiber) sheets if that would be of interest- about 1/8" thick- 6"x 6" and will handle up to 2,400 degrees F...Let me know happy to send you some

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #496 on: May 31, 2012, 06:36:30 PM »
Sorry Greg I couldn't stand the fame or the fortune, :no1b if the book became a best seller.
The Kaowool would be nice ( my daughter came back from Vancouver Monday last could have saved the postage) :c017 Never mind thanks for the offer. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #497 on: June 02, 2012, 01:30:44 AM »
Front plate fitted (temp). Sight glass fittings lined up with metal rod. ( Glass on bench ) The other pipe is the fill pipe, to connected to external hand pump. I have put paper to show were the lagging will be. Geoff 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 01:33:22 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

mogogear

« Reply #498 on: June 02, 2012, 07:27:16 AM »
It is like having a smoke box on top of your grill !!! :o I like it--Hurry up and pose it in the hull so I can better understand how this rascal is going to sit :thinking

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #499 on: June 03, 2012, 07:58:12 PM »
I don't like to be branded a poser, :sunglasses but here we go Greg. My excuse I needed to mark the position of the chimney. Which I did by poking a very long (24") artist brush with paint down the models funnel. This will fit on the door, both door and chimney only placed in position in photo. Checkout the low center of gravity. Geoff
G.Y.

mogogear

« Reply #500 on: June 04, 2012, 02:08:26 PM »
Posing now done- and appreciated !!

Geoff you really have to be pleased with that low CoG!!

Thanks for indulging me :bravo

Offline PeeWee

« Reply #501 on: June 06, 2012, 02:14:48 AM »
pose away.   ;D  everything looks good in position. 
Ian
Sane? who knows? who cares?

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #502 on: June 08, 2012, 04:39:17 AM »
Thanks for the comments fellas. But I think I am the only one posting today. Top bolted to bottom plate 8BA taped. Fixed the chimney to the door. Stainless tube from a solar garden light, my was it hard. That's why only 3 rivets. Strips of soldering mat stuck to under side of door. Lining cut, just placed in manifold, not fixed must paint with Bar-B-Q  paint first. Geoff
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 04:42:11 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #503 on: June 08, 2012, 06:20:34 AM »
Hi PD's....... :whistle ....couldn't quite understand the calculation in PICR0015.jpg

5NTH 3/Z x 50
and 5/16 x 32 .................. :a102

Derek  :beer
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #504 on: June 08, 2012, 08:23:49 PM »
Very nice to hear from you Derek.  :08 I know you like complicated formulae.  :sobbing :sorry But I have to disappoint you, it is just a reminder of the threads in the boiler bushes. The letters being the positions, followed by 3/8+40  & 5/16+32. If I ever do adding up  :shhh I always put sign in front then I always get the answer right. Geoff
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 08:25:24 PM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #505 on: June 10, 2012, 01:17:13 AM »
Having looked back at this thread It has made me realise how time flies by. Having stated the original boiler in July 2009. Duke started December 2009 & completed July 2011 since then I have been messing around sorting the bugs, and building a new boiler. But I must confess I enjoy the constrution better than the sailing. I will be at Exeter meet on 17th see you then OLD MAN. GEoff
G.Y.

Offline Talisman

« Reply #506 on: June 10, 2012, 11:12:35 AM »
Having looked back at this thread It has made me realise how time flies by. Having stated the original boiler in July 2009. Duke started December 2009 & completed July 2011 since then I have been messing around sorting the bugs, and building a new boiler. But I must confess I enjoy the constrution better than the sailing. I will be at Exeter meet on 17th see you then OLD MAN. GEoff

Geoff,
The ''i enjoy building rather than sailing'' statement really gets me .. and i have heard it often... that much self punishment for no joy ... really?
I admire your effort but if as you say you will be at paddler day i will enjoy seeing her on the water ... that said .. i ain't putting myself through that to produce a steam driven boat ... are we even equal... in our thinking ? Are you a masochist .... lol ?
Regards,
Kim

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #507 on: June 10, 2012, 06:15:53 PM »
I don't think I am a masochist, not where sex is concerned anyway. I am in my warm workshop, others are out sailing. With the weather we are having, (60mph wind, 3in rain in 24hr) who are the masochist. Joking apart, we are at different stages in our lives you and I. 35 years different a life time. When you retire you must keep active body and mined, or you will soon vegetate. I enjoyed my working life solving problems and producing an end result. So this hobby is fine for me. I have three sailing models one operational steam driven paddler and working on the Duke and a Minnie traction engine No hurry that is why its taking so long, I have to get it right. I started making rubber band powered paper & balsa planes with help from my dad at 7. Then moved on to diesel control line models. Next slot cars this was before Scalelctric, made our own track and cars. at the age of17 drink time I designed and help build carnival flouts for 6 years. (look on Bridgwater carnival web site you will be amazed.) Married I moved on to radio controlled air craft 27meg ( not good with CB all the rage) So full size and a pilots licence the ovious next step. From there I started Stock car racing (BRISCA Formula 2) designing and building my own (winning) cars. At this tiime I did a coastal skippers ticket having a 40ft Princess power boat. So you see I can't break the habit of a life time.  I have been retired 16 years and fill my time bowling, mechanic to my son when he is motorcycle racing. This includes making bits for him and his mates on my lathe. At the bottom of the list is model boating.  Geoff
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 06:22:08 PM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline old man

« Reply #508 on: June 11, 2012, 04:43:53 PM »
Hi Geoff look forward to seeing you on sunday. Please egineer some good weather before we all blow a valve

okld man

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #509 on: June 11, 2012, 06:29:50 PM »
 :offtopic Most viewers won't know what a BSISCA f2 is so here is mine. Up to 30 cars let lose on a oval track of about 1/4 mile length, the fastest at the back. Much bumper work is called for to get to the front. Note the marks on the fence. Geoff
G.Y.