Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE  (Read 166560 times)

Offline PeeWee

Re: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2010, 05:58:12 PM »
Looking good there, nice solution to the shaft problem.  I must get back inbto the workshop and restart my projects.
Ian
Sane? who knows? who cares?

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2010, 07:58:16 AM »
Thanks Ian I was quite Chuffed myself. Of Course I could have got a 8mm rod turned off .5mm then bushed the bearings, But I like to use what I have.
I hope I have inspired you back into your workshop. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2010, 07:17:13 AM »
Paddleducks, still quiet! Are you all in your workshops? I have just managed an afternoon, made the blocks to hold the bearings, the collar to strengthen the joint in the shaft and turned the hubs for the wheels. In the photo can be seen an extra bearing, fixed to a pillar it is extra support next to the eccentric for the boiler water supply pump. this is still in production. In the mean time the hull is almost planked pictures soon.          Geoff
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 09:58:42 PM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2010, 09:00:34 AM »
Good to hear your making progress Geoff, I think everyone else on PD's has either gone into hibernation for the winter, or those in the southern hemisphere are on their summer hols!

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2010, 10:19:33 PM »
Hull planking I was tempted to keep these pictures secret! the job looks so rough. Quarter inch balsa doesn't bend to well, so a lot of sanding will be required. Why use balsa? I believe lightness is the key to a sailing model especially a paddler. The shaft and wheels are aluminium, for the same reason. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline Stuart Badger

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2010, 03:30:02 AM »
It's not the way it looks WHILE you're building it that matters - it's how it looks AFTER you've built it!
Balsa's a great material.

All the best

Stuart
Remember - a lone amateur built the Ark, it took a team of dedicated engineers to produce the Titanic.
Stuart

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2010, 04:00:28 AM »
I have to agree with Stuart, Geoff. Some of the models I've built looked like a right pile of &*$ while I was building, but with a bit of elbow grease they generally turn out okay.

The advantage with balsa is that its so easy to shape, so you shouldn't have any real problem.

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline PeeWee

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2010, 07:29:20 AM »
Progress is progress and its all in the direction of a lovely finished boat :coffee.  reminder to self, get in the workshop  :whistle
Ian
Sane? who knows? who cares?

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2010, 08:28:51 AM »
I was just worried some modelers might think it was rubbish. Thanks guys. I used the same method for the Glen Usk but with 1/16" sheet, this time I used 1/4"so have a better chance of getting a good shape. Four more strips tomorrow and out with the sanding block. Balsa for the deck is 1/8". Last time I saved the dust from the sanding mixed it with pva and filled the hollows and gaps. geoff
G.Y.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2010, 08:36:52 AM »
Geoff, I hope you'll find our members will never slag someone off for trying - We may give advice on better methods or how to improve things, but never ever make comments that would put someone off, at least certainly not intentionally!!

The fact is that you have the basics of a hull, and with some work it can be made into a decent job - Nothing to be ashamed of in that!

If someone else appears to do things in a better way, thats' fine, it's something you can make a note of and perhaps aspire to in a future build, but it certainly doesn't mean your methods are any less valid...

And just think of how fit your right arm will get with all the sanding!  :hehe

Eddy
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 10:08:34 AM by Eddy Matthews »

Offline Talisman

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2010, 09:39:41 AM »
Geoff, If it makes you feel any better i have just finished making a plug .... expanding foam first - easy to sand ... a ton of body filler later and an exhausted arm and fed up. Makes me wish i had used Balsa! :darn
I can also see the potential in your hull so keep it up!
Regards,
Kim

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2010, 05:16:01 AM »
The only disadvantage I find with using Balsa is its price, but my wife claims I complain about the price of everything.
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2010, 07:05:19 AM »
Gerald, Have you seen my stock of balsa, photo earlier in this post. Just used a 1/4"+ 4inch + 4ft plank of balsa, still had the price sticker on it 35p!! it is 1970 vintage.
Kim, I have used polyurethane foam for a scale collier. This was covered with cider can plates. Will find a picture to post.
Eddy, My right arm is getting plenty of exercise acquiring the cider cans. Could that be the reason for the rough planking. I don't know how long I have taken but when I split it can it count as two hulls, still not quicker than Stuart.

Finished the planking hurray. Fixed the sponsons ( 3/8 balsa sandwiched between 2 pieces of 1.5mm ply ) Next the magic bit braking it in half tomorrow. Photos of sponsons clamped up,engine - boiler room and 3 models relegated to the workshop.  Geoff
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 07:11:57 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline djcf

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2010, 11:27:35 PM »
Hi Geoff,
Enjoying reading about your build, keep up the good work. By the way that is some stock of balsa you have!!
regards
Clark

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2010, 04:19:00 AM »
"Gerald, Have you seen my stock of balsa, photo earlier in this post. Just used a 1/4"+ 4inch + 4ft plank of balsa, still had the price sticker on it 35p!! it is 1970 vintage."
Yes I did notice your stock, it almost cost me a keyboard, I have horded some balsa myself, but I shudder every time I have to buy more at the hobby shop.
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long