Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE  (Read 161650 times)

Offline R.G.Y.

Re: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 08:36:42 AM »
I have used impact adhesive (evo stik) and 5 minute epoxy. As I lay the plates as full size practice. The first layer metal to wood impact is used. Second layer  impact on the wood with bead of epoxy on the edge top and bottom where metal overlaps. Don't worry I have plenty of materials (cans not all my own) I am very lucky with my digits still have 10 at the moment after 53 years working with wood work machines. Don't ever get over confident is my advice.
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 08:45:15 AM »
The slipway is clear and marked out ready (chalked to show in the photo). The old wardrobe on bench will cut the keel nice bit of oak. Displacement of 18.5 lbs at 3/8th per inch, the steam plant (see the boilers thread in live steam) weight 9lbs, leaves plenty to spare for the boat and ballast. My Glen Usk Weighs in at 9lbs total with the steam plant taking 5.5lbs of this.Geoff.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 08:48:31 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 08:50:34 AM »
I don't want to worry you Geoff, but Santa seems to have left one of his elves in the corner of your workshop!  :whistle

Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 03:26:55 AM »
Can't be an elf, well if it is it's not one of Santa's. They help not hinder. You made me smile Eddy.Geoff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 07:53:52 AM »
Made a little progress today. Keel laid stem and stern post fixed. The steam plant fits nicely .  Also a picture of the information wall and my stock of balsa, left over from aeromodeling days 1970. Some of the pieces cost as much as 24p. R.G.Y.
G.Y.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 08:20:12 AM »
Looking good Geoff, lets see if you can build a hull as quick as Stuart..... You have about 7 days to complete it! ;)

Now that things are hopefully settling down at home, maybe I can get onto some of the projects I want to do? One gas turbine powered model of Hustler (the boat that took Danald Cambells record just after he was killed), two hovercraft (An SRN1 and a Griffon 470TD RNLI rescue craft), oh and a secret paddler....

Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »
You will have to be quicker than anyone to build that lot EDDY. I concede to Stuart. I have too play bowls 3 or 4 times a week. On Sundays I have to mechanic for my motorcycle racing son, and I try to sail models some times. I will try to finish.in time for the paddle day. But don't bank on it Geoff
G.Y.

Offline mjt60a

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2010, 06:08:42 AM »
....An SRN1....
I'll be interested to see that! do you have the plans? http://www.myhobbystore.com/product.asp?p=16728
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2010, 08:43:55 AM »
Thank heaven for the snow no shopping no gardening! So a morning in the workshop, and the ELF has gone home. More photos of the progress. You will see my methods are unconventional, as I proceed. The model will be split to enable it to go in my car. Joint in last photo, No5 frame was wrong, to tall so a quick fix slope it backwards. Oh I forgot to say the slipway was rubbed with candle grease so the keel won't stick.
G.Y.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2010, 08:52:58 AM »
Geoff, I assume what looks like a balsa deck is only there to hold the frames square while building?

Eddy

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2010, 05:32:50 AM »
Right and wrong Eddy, yes its balsa, no it's not temporary the hull will be balsa all over.Hence the picture of my balsa stock. My GLEN USK has a balsa hull with a ply deck, 8 years old still going strong. That is why I need the drink can plating. I had though frame 5 might have caused comment R.G.Y.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 06:21:07 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline mjt60a

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2010, 06:49:00 AM »
....I have measurements and three postcards, but you can't have to much information....
there's some on the 'simplon' pages - http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/DevonDock.html
a good picture of Consul here - http://paddlesteamers.awardspace.com/ConsulDukeofDevonshire.htm
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2010, 07:50:17 AM »
Thanks Mick good imfo. Also thanks to the others who have posted leads. Geoff
more progress, why draw a plan when you can draw on the model.
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2010, 07:33:40 AM »
The boiler just fits, Will have to turn the syphon around,(picture 2) then the boiler can be moved 1" forward. This will give more clearance around paddle shaft gear.The pressure gauge needs to be in this position as it will be visible through a doorway.R.G.Y.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 07:44:16 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2010, 08:00:34 AM »
A small problem, the gear wheel (from a old printer) has a 7.5mm hole in the center. To hard to drill. The sealed roller bearings (old battery drill) that carry the ends of the shaft have a10mm hole. Hear is my solution. The last photo shows the shaft joined dry, a collar will be fitted each side of the gear to strengthan the joint.  R.G.Y.
G.Y.