Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Strongbow type tug  (Read 33051 times)

Offline Paddlemex

Re: Strongbow type tug
« Reply #210 on: August 29, 2020, 04:36:15 AM »

Great to see that you liked my side buffers, Robert. If you make some show us how they came out.

The Morangie Castle is seaworthy now. The life boat has received some oars and can save lives.

Jurgen

Offline Paddlemex

Sailing again
« Reply #211 on: September 03, 2020, 03:53:06 AM »

This weekend we had the first gathering at our pond under "new normal" conditions. Only a few daring (or unreasonable ??  ::)) attended. Anyway, we kept our distance, used masks and had fun.

The Morangie Castle sailed again very nice. I also have a few minutes of video which I still have to edit. That will take a couple of days.

Jurgen

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #212 on: September 03, 2020, 07:15:25 AM »
I am not a fan of 'white' painted superstructure, but the subduded effect you have achieved is excellent Jurgen

........don't need sunglasses  :sunglasses to view the model in bright sunlight

Looking forward to the video......enjoy sailing your Morangie Castle at every chance

Derek :beer
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #213 on: September 03, 2020, 11:59:07 AM »
Looks great Jurgen  :clap :clap :beer :beer

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #214 on: September 03, 2020, 06:47:45 PM »
Really ecellent! It`s a pity, that it will not possible to take the model in the aircraft to Germany, when you will visit your family, Jurgen. This is a built of really museum quality, also the presentation on water.

Thomas

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #215 on: September 05, 2020, 04:20:30 AM »

Thanks to all for your kind words. but modesty aside  8) yes she looks great on the water.

Thomas: possible yes, but very expensive  :( , so no, I will not take her with me.

Video until next week.

Jurgen

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #216 on: September 09, 2020, 06:03:01 AM »

Finally I edited the video of last week's sailing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OgKsNayzhM

Enjoy.

Jurgen

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #217 on: September 09, 2020, 11:40:55 AM »
Look great Jurgen well done. :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #218 on: September 10, 2020, 10:39:24 AM »

Thanks Damien  :)

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #219 on: October 10, 2020, 03:41:35 AM »

Not much to do anymore on the Morangie Castle so I am moving on to other projects. However, some details still remain.
I have added a small bridge over the engine room's bull's eye windows. When working on the tow hook sooner or later someone would have stepped on the bull's eyes so to avoid any damage .
The pictures show the before and after situation.

I am also trying to find a way to connect the position lights on the removable wheel housings to the battery. I don't want a male-female connector solution, that's so common  :sunglasses
Instead I tried magnets. Put 2 magnets on the removable wheelhouse and another pair on the fixed deck and let the magnetic force pull the contacts together.
I have some 2mm dia. 1mm thick neodyme magnets and somewhere I read that if you place the magnets in a shallow metal dish, add a little water (not cover the magnet!) you may solder a wire to the magnet without damaging the magnetic properties.
Well it didn't work for me. Three out of four magnets lost their magnetism and the one that remained magnetic lost the wire when I pulled a bit harder.
Then after some  :thinking I came up with the brilliant idea to use a 2mm ID brass tube, solder the wire to the brass and then press fit the magnet to the tube. That worked OK, but for some reason the electrical contact is not reliable.
So here is still some research to do. I may add a little spring somewhere to further push the contacts together but then I may not need the magnets ?

Jurgen