Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: New project started: Irrawaddy paddler "Mindon" 1948  (Read 3101 times)

Offline kno3

Re: New project started: Irrawaddy paddler "Mindon" 1948
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2019, 09:40:43 PM »
Another very interesting build Thomas! I like your boiler very much. How is it steaming?
Why do you use silicone tube for the exhaust and not copper or brass tube?

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2019, 04:41:22 AM »
The size of "Mindon" boiler is nearly similar to the "Welf" one. Engine is a slighly altered American Graham Type. Gear of engine to paddle shaft is 1 : 1.
First I want to drive the paddle shaft directly, but with the cogwheels it`s more easy to remove the engine. Diameter of the feathered wheels is only 90 mm, so it is possibel, to drive without gear reduction. The silicone tubes for the exhaust steam can be better removed than copper tubes.
Since April there is a break of "Mindon" built, some other things are to do and also I think, model building is better in autumn and winter than in hot summer days. I will continue the built in september and finish until end of the year.
At moment I am drawing a plan in 1 : 48 of RMS "Connaught". There is only one library on the continent (Technical University Zürich) with John Scott Russels book about naval architecture and the plan of the ship. Stuart Badger has built this ship, there are an extensive building report with very many pictures in "Construction" from 2011. Tragically Stuart passed away shortly after finishing his breathtaking model.
I hope, to make the "Connaught" (may be with names of the sister ships "Ulster" or "Munster") until next year with steam propulsion.

Thomas

Offline kno3

« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2019, 10:10:32 AM »
I see, thanks for the explanation.
What is the reason for the U-shaped gas tank? It is quite unusual, but space doesn't seem to be a problem in your ship.

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2019, 12:27:44 PM »
Hullo Calin.......[trust you are keeping well] .............

I asked the same question back in February of this year..Derek

"Well Thomas....we see  :gathering ...that you had plenty of 20 mm diameter 90 degree bends & caps left over from the boiler internals

I must admit recently seeing a few French built gas tanks that are long & like a sausage  :whistle .   and a builder Daniel Buroard   some years back, built a duplex set of tanks........but I have not seen a gas tank in the shape of a U ......but
:thinking ....
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2019, 07:57:12 PM »
Yes Calin and Derek, the reason of the U- shaped tank is only to get more capacity for the gas.

Regards Thomas

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2019, 07:29:06 PM »
Continuing the "Mindon".
In the last week I made some advantage to my boat - all stanchions for the upper deck are fixed, railings and the big roof above the quarterdeck are finished. The roof is removable. Next work will be the painting of all these brass parts. After this the upper deck - part above the boiler/engine area of course must also be removable - will be made.
In the beginning of november there will be big steam meeting in Friedrichshafen at Lake Constance. I hope to finish the model until this time for presenting on the water.

Thomas

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2019, 08:23:27 PM »
 :clap :bravo :clap :bravo :clap :bravo :clap :bravo :clap

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2019, 01:34:07 AM »

Those brass parts look nice. You even managed to give the horizontal roof supports a slight bow.
The cross members have a different color. Is that aluminum?

Jurgen

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2019, 06:56:58 AM »
Yes Jurgen, the cross members are from alu. Today I painted with Revell colors, but the color is a little bit thick. I hope, there will be a better result, when the color is dry tomorrow.

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2019, 03:18:51 AM »
There is a very good dokomentation about "Myat Yadana" in youtube: Myanmar (Burmese) Steam Paddlewheeler Irrawaddy River.

Some progress with my boat is seen now. The upper Deck is installed. Next work will be the fore upper deckhouse, the stanchions and railing and even the funnel. Because I work with the original plan, there are some alterings to the present "Myat Yadana".