Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Strongbow type tug  (Read 30402 times)

Offline Paddlemex

Re: Strongbow type tug
« Reply #195 on: July 25, 2020, 04:29:33 AM »

Thanks Derek.

Here my explications to lighten your doubts:
Yes, the Port anchor was lifted over the railing with the davit, then the shackles were re-attached to the deck and the hook attached to one of the shackles to avid excessive swinging.
The captain (don't be so cruel … he's an old man… ) is checking that the starboard anchor is securely bolted to the deck.
On the water?  …   Who knows. Most everything is still closed down and we haven't been sailing for months.

And the red thingy … c'm on, Derek, I'm sure you know better … that is clearly the handwheel of the steam valve which operates the windlass. It is painted red because it get very hot. The 'Caution - Hot - Wear Gloves' sign must have been lost.

Jurgen

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #196 on: July 27, 2020, 06:04:45 AM »

I have to apologize to the experts for having mixed-up Starboard and Port. You were very kind to not point that out and writing in capital letters.

The Portside anchor had been placed on the deck and shackeled to the deck, meanwhile the Starboard anchor had been lifted overboard.

And yes, the anchor chain in the box is what was left over. I may leave the box&chain to add "clutter" to the deck.

Jurgen

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #197 on: July 27, 2020, 09:33:22 AM »
Jurgen....where you see a Modify Command, it is totally acceptable to go back to your post, the use the following process to correct an error..eg.,

Edit......'then the shackles were re-attached to the deck' 'mast'

This then doesn't confuse readers, but clearly allows them to read and understand the correct text or fact

Derek 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 04:56:56 PM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #198 on: August 01, 2020, 03:29:45 AM »

I know of the Edit possibility, Derek, but since more than one day had passed I didn't want to change history. However, indicating the edit in red is something I had not considered. Will use it in my next mistake.

Made the lateral sponson fenders. Here I am recycling the shoelace life-boat bands shown some posts back. I didn't like them because they looked much too thick and wide. Already have a possible replacement for those bands. Stay tuned.

For the fenders I slipped a piece of foam rubber into the shoelace section. That is quite easy when you squeeze the foam rubber into a 5mm brass tube, then slip the tube into the shoelace, once in hold the end of the end of foam rubber and pull out the tube. Voilá: the foam is in the fender.
Then a loop of the holding rope is inserted and the ends are wrapped with thin yarn. I fixed the yarn with some CA.

Jurgen

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #199 on: August 03, 2020, 09:06:45 AM »
 :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #200 on: August 06, 2020, 04:11:08 AM »

Thanks Damien, Hope you (and all others) are OK.

Now I have become a rope-maker also. When attaching the side fenders on the sponsons I needed a rope a bit thicker than what I had available. I looked-up rope making in the net and found a lot of videos on that topic - all using more or less complex arrangements with at least 3 strands, gears and cranks. Too much for a few lengths of model rope.

But …. if it works with 3 and more strands, what about using just 2???  :thinking

Well, it works.

I fixed a piece of yarn on a nail in the workbench and the other end in a hook in my power drill.
Then I un-twisted the yarn until the individual strands were visible.
Then I changed the end of the un-twisted yarn (which was on the power drill) to the nail. Both ends on the nail now and the mid-point of the yarn on the hook. Length is now half of the original length.
Then I reversed the direction of the drill and re-twisted the 2 strands of yarn. I holds perfectly without any self-un-twisting.

In the picture the brown rope at the top is just doubled from the original yarn. That is used for the sponson fenders.
The clearer rope at the bottom is 6-fold re-twisted yarn. Looks good as a towing rope, but maybe a bit too much as a mooring rope.
Also learned how to splice an end-loop on the rope.

Jurgen

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #201 on: August 06, 2020, 11:03:55 AM »
 :bravo :bravo :bravo :bravo :bravo :bravo Outstanding Jurgen.  :bravo :bravo :bravo :bravo :bravo :bravo

Offline kno3

« Reply #202 on: August 07, 2020, 04:46:22 PM »
Very ingenious way of making fenders send they look great. Thanks for showing.

Offline Mike

« Reply #203 on: August 08, 2020, 02:38:56 AM »

Wow. Very clever. I must try. :bravo

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #204 on: August 11, 2020, 03:39:28 AM »

Thanks for all the applause.

In the meantime I have taken up knitting too.
It's for a good cause - not that I'm thinking of leaving the paddlevirus.

After doing some research in the www I made myself a knitting tool for the front fender.
Again I used the rubber foam stuffing method.
I'd say 'looks OK' but there is an enormous possibility for improvement. I'd like the mesh to be much tighter. More to investigate.

Jurgen