Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Strongbow type tug  (Read 7516 times)

Offline Paddlemex

My favourite mistake ...
« Reply #120 on: August 21, 2019, 09:47:46 AM »

Yeah, one feels kind of  :( :-[ and then  ::)

Anyway I fixed it, didn't see any option to cutting new parts.
Now I can put it all together.

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
Re: Strongbow type tug
« Reply #121 on: August 21, 2019, 01:30:55 PM »
 :clap :clap :clap

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #122 on: August 29, 2019, 05:25:12 AM »

Thanks Damien.

Have been distracted with other issues, but I'm back now. Seems I have become the sole entertainer here.

I filled the gap in the deck where the shaft crosses. During the test sailing I had placed some rags under that area but no water at all got in.
Anyway, I feel better having the gap shut.
I smeared some Bondo in the gap, then slipped a piece of 7/6mm tube over the 6mm shaft and pressed it in place. Then screwed down the shaft until the Bondo had just set. When it was becoming solid, but before hardening completely I could remove the shaft with very little resistance.
Now the shaft has 1/2mm clearance to the filling.

Also installed the magnets which hold the paddle boxes in place.

Jurgen

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #123 on: August 30, 2019, 02:09:03 AM »

Put the hand rails on the bulwarks. It's the jobs that you think you can do in a moment that result in taking a lot of time.

Guess now I can start to think about painting the hull.

Offline Paddlemex

Painter man, painter man ...
« Reply #124 on: September 05, 2019, 02:51:22 AM »

Ready for some paint.
Masking the model is not my favorite task in modelling in particular with all those bulwark stays.

Jurgen

Offline Paddlemex

Paint it black
« Reply #125 on: September 10, 2019, 01:32:53 AM »

Painted the white part and forgot to make a picture.

Then some more masking work and applied the black paint. Unfortunately the black paint can decided to declare emptiness just when I had finished 80% of the second coat. Will get a more black today.

Jurgen

Offline Paddlemex

When I paint my masterpiece ...
« Reply #126 on: September 13, 2019, 12:59:13 AM »

Paint of the hull is done.

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #127 on: September 13, 2019, 06:36:30 AM »
It will be a really masterpiece, Jurgen.

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: September 13, 2019, 11:15:03 AM »
 :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap Outstanding.  :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 11:16:36 AM by DamienG »

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #129 on: September 18, 2019, 02:01:16 AM »

Thanks to both for the appreciation and applause.

The ship has a name. I am not too happy with alignment of the stern letters. It doesn't look that bad alive, but when I saw the picture I may consider doing that again. Also there seems to be missing a piece of the T in castle. Have to check that on the ship. It was complete when I applied the letters.

Also made the planking for the sponson platforms.

Jurgen

Offline Paddlemex

Stairway to heav ... paddelbox
« Reply #130 on: September 27, 2019, 01:29:24 AM »

Glued the steps to the paddlebox.

Then I experimented a bit with the finish. Remember the parte of the first paddlebox I had to replace because it was cut out of center? I used that part to try the finish.
For one part I wanted to see if the paint I applied from spray cans would harmonize with the thinner I will use with the airbrush for the finish. It does!!
I want a no-glossy satin finish but I can only get full matte or high gloss lacquers and only black or white matte in cans. So I mix matte and gloss to get some sort of satin finish and use the airbrush.
I don't know if lacquer ages with time, what I have is about 15 years old but is still perfectly liquid, it got somewhat dark, however.
In the third picture is the test piece. I like the somewhat yellowish taint it got, however, I'd like the finish a bit more matte. I will make another test.

Jurgen

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: September 27, 2019, 10:37:50 AM »
 :clap :clap :clap :clap Looking great.  :bravo :bravo :bravo  :bravo

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #132 on: October 08, 2019, 03:53:52 AM »

Thanks Damien.

Progress begins to slow down when it comes to the details. I have only managed to build the chimney and the machine room grating during my last few working sessions.

Jurgen

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #133 on: October 08, 2019, 08:46:35 AM »
a really masterpiece with a very exact and neat impression, Jurgen. But one question about the original I have: Is "Strongbow" a fictive or a really historic vessel like "John A. Amos" or the other paddle tugboat in San Francisco Maritime Museum? In the net there are only some informations about a screw tugboat of this name. I also own the very exact and realistic plan of the paddler "Strongbow", but I didn`t find some information about the original.

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #134 on: October 09, 2019, 10:11:58 AM »

Thanks Thomas,

I have been looking for information too but I also only found the screw driven Strongbow tug and it seems that our Strongbow is a fictitious model-only paddeler inspired by the real vessels you mention.
The ones I found are the Eppleton Hall (San Francisco, semi-restored, but no public access), the John H. Amos (Chatham, in very deteriorated condition, waiting for funds) and the Reliant (sad story of restoration, scrapping and partial re-restoration at 2 different museums).

I am building mine from the H.J. Scholz drawing I found years ago on the John-Tom page, but just recently I realized that exactly that drawing is available here in the download section. Saw it mentioned somewhere in the RC Groups forum.
I guess that the Graupner Glasgow is also based to a great extent on that drawing/model.

Anyway, I didn't want to have another Strongbow and my build was already too advanced to make a scale model of any of the above so I gave her a different name.

BTW: The mentioned drawing was published originally in Modell Werft Magazine 9/1989. On the John-Tom page is the complete article of the magazine, but it is Part 2. Does anyone have Part 1 of that article? Or a link where I can find it. I have been searching a lot but unsuccessfully.

Jurgen