Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Strongbow type tug  (Read 2812 times)

Offline Paddlemex

Re: Strongbow type tug
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2019, 02:49:44 AM »

Thickness is 1mm. It's perfect.

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2019, 04:57:48 PM »
 :clap :clap :clap :beer :beer :beer

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2019, 03:56:20 AM »

Hi all,

Very slow progress here. Visiting friends out of town one weekend, and having friends from out of town at our home the next left little time for the workshop.
I wasn't completely idle however, the hull has had many sessions of primer, filler, sanding. I guess it has 6 coats now and the surface is getting close to how I want it.
One problem is that I when I put on the planking I left the first plank about 5mm short of the deck level. No idea how that happened. Now I am filling that gap but I have 5mm of raw wood on top of the finished part. Means: more primer, filler, sanding, ad nauseum. I will probably fix that when installing the railing. Pics of that later.

I also prepared a little gadget for soldering the paddle levers to the paddle blade. Originally I wanted to silver solder the paddles, but then I looked up the melting temp of aluminum and realized it was very close to the temp of the silversolder. Since the spacer would be alu in any case (because it would not stick to the solder) I deleted the silver solder and will use soft solder.
I was also easier because I could use a wooden base.
After looking at the pictures I ask myself why is that alu piece so big? Too much mass which will take away heat from parts to be soldered. Well, we'll see. I can cut it smaller anytime.

Jurgen

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2019, 04:14:34 AM »
very precise and exact work. This is really mechanical engineering!

Go on Jurgen!

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2019, 03:45:22 AM »

Thanks Thomas.
I hope I can get something soldered this weekend.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2019, 08:41:28 AM »
I couldn’t see a mention of how the parts where cut?
G.Y.

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2019, 06:34:28 AM »

Had not mentioned it Geoff.
I have a small tabletop CNC mill where the parts are cut.
Having problems lately, however. The mill is a StepFour and the company is out of business for several years.
The software worked fine on my Windows 7 laptop, which unfortunately passed away last year. Now I have a new one running Windows 10 pro and the software will not install because there is no one to upgrade the software.
A friend helps me finding a solution and we were able to install and run the software on 2 Win 10 pro, one laptop and one PC, however, my new laptop has the latest generation Core i7 and apparently this version has some different structure which does not allow the software to run. 
Still working on it. In the meantime I brought back to life an old PC running XP for the mill only. It is annoying, however, because I have no internet on the PC and I have to store the drawings on an USB stick and transfer them from the laptop to the mill PC. Besides it takes away a lot of space and needs even more space for the monitor.
Anyway, I hope that we can find a solution.

Jurgen

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2019, 05:00:50 AM »

Some progress and several minor mishaps/disasters during the last few days.

The progress is that the first wheel is done (almost) and since everything fitted as expected, I started cutting the parts for wheel No. 2.

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2019, 05:14:21 AM »

Then I gave the interior of the hull 2 coats of a 2-part polyurethane marine floor finish. And here mishap No.1 struck.
While brushing on the PU some drops fell on the workbench and since I try to avoid problems I diligently wiped them off with a piece of tissue. Then the piece of tissue was gone, OK, no problem, I took another one and continued.
The next day when I moved the hull, guess where the soaked piece of tissue showed up?
Of course under the hull and glued to it.
Was able to sand it, but I am back to primer, fill and sand.
Mishap No.2 occurred when I glued in the reinforcements in the main shaft area. Some how the previously reasonably flush outer skin developed some waviness as on the planks. See pic.3. Since this is in the sponson area I will probably leave it as is.

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2019, 05:25:01 AM »

The soldering of the paddles blades to paddle levers did not go exactly to plan. I first tried with my 100W soldering iron and a low temp silver solder I use for soldering cables to high capacity Lipo batteries. That did not work. It took over 5 minutes for the workpiece to get warm, but the solder never really flowed.
So I went to Plan B - Small gas torch, 1/8" plumber's solder and good old plumber's solder paste.
That went well. The wooden soldering device suffered a little bit, but it looks worse than it is. I already posted the picture of the paddle parade together with the complete wheel.

Jurgen

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2019, 07:18:26 AM »
really excellent work!

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2019, 04:49:08 AM »

Thanks Thomas,

It's a nice feeling when assembling and all parts fit as expected.

Offline Mike

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2019, 04:52:11 AM »

Your Paddle Wheels are really good.
  Are you going to leave them brass or spray paint.

Mike.

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2019, 07:48:49 AM »

Thanks Mike.

The brass looks really nice, but they will be painted, some kind of red. I do not want a shiny just-off-the-slipway model, so a Ferrari red is out of the question. In another thread the Rustoleum red primer was mentioned, some kind of dull red. I will see if I can get that here.

Jurgen

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2019, 03:48:58 AM »

Some progress, but I always plan too much for a given day and never come to do all I wanted to.

Made the eccentric disk. The plan calls for 5mm brass. Since I don't stock that thickness I cut 2 slightly oversize disks from 2.3mm sheet, soft soldered them together and then milled to the final size.
Installed the floor for the equipment and cut the deck supports. I cheated for the picture, the supports are not yet glued.
Also made the sponsons. I sandwiched 2 layers of 2mm balsa between 2 pieces of 1.6mm ply. The extensions will interlock to the center piece. Still the raw parts, some finish required.

Jurgen