Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Strongbow type tug  (Read 5197 times)

Offline Paddlemex

Strongbow type tug
« on: February 02, 2019, 07:19:11 AM »

Hi everyone,

After years of planning and on and off from this project I finally started building. Several years ago I found a set of pictures of a building report from the German Modell Werft which included a set of drawings. The drawings could be exported as pdf files to my drawing program where I scaled them to size. It was a lot of work because each drawing was posted in 4 parts and there are a total of 11 drawings making for 44 sheets and each one was slightly different in size. I had to resize every individual part, then join them and then find a common scale for the re-joined  drawings. You can imagine
Then a long time of sketching on those drawings followed. I am working on those PDFs copying the outlines and then creating the final design.
I want it to be a generic paddler, I will not name it Strongbow. Still doing research on what existed in the Scottish harbors and then find a name.

AS a first in my modeling career I used a laser shop to cut out the pieces of the basic kit. That was done in less than an hour and much more precise than what I could have done. I have a small CNC mill, but it would have taken ages to cut the parts there. Hoever, the mill will still get its share of work when the rest of the model.
Another surprise was the mess of the lasered parts. The burned edges where carbonized (surprise???) and blackened everything they touched. Didn't know what to do, so I soaked a piece of cloth in paint thinner and washed the edges. That worked, but I am not sure if thats how it should be done.

Here the first pictures.
And the first problem: I installed formers 7 and 8 inverted. I highlighted it in the yellow circle. I noted it when applying the first cover strips and it was too late to remove and re-place the formers. Fortunately the width of both formers was the same and the fix was easy: add some material to the low one and sand down the high one.
Last picture is the hull taking shape.

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
Re: Strongbow type tug
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 11:42:48 AM »
Looking really good.  :bravo :bravo :clap :clap :beer :beer

Offline TailUK

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 01:04:48 AM »
Quote; "And the first problem: I installed formers 7 and 8 inverted. I highlighted it in the yellow circle. I noted it when applying the first cover strips and it was too late to remove and re-place the formers. Fortunately the width of both formers was the same and the fix was easy: add some material to the low one and sand down the high one.
Last picture is the hull taking shape."

As my old Dad used to say "the man who never made a mistake, never made anything!"  It's looking great!

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 03:36:51 AM »
She is really looking very good and promising. A very similar mistake like in the second picture I made with my paddler. But it also wasn`t too difficult to take some material from the frame and add some to the changed by mistake one.
Would be very interesting, you inform us with pictures of step by step progress like I with my paddler "Mindan".

Thomas

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 03:58:48 AM »

Thanks for your encouraging comments.

@TailUK: I absolutely agree, BUT those who don't work don't make mistakes and will be rewarded and promoted. Anyway, I will make more mistakes.

@Hankwilliams: Yes I will. I just don't want to spam this frum with every glue joint. I will show progress where there is something to see. Today I will have some time and hope to finish the hull.
I am following your Mindan build.

Jurgen

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 07:11:13 AM »
Jurgen.....

Your build photographs  :kewlpics ..... are just that, we will not think them as spam....please post as many as you wish...we will enjoy them...

I also found informative about the degree of burning/blackening  :crash  experienced from the lazer......must be a function of heat relative to the moisture content of the wood?. I have seen lazer cut 3mm marine ply and it displayed a blackened cut edge, but no loose carbonised fibers or dust 

Derek  :beer
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 07:19:54 AM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 03:25:10 AM »
Gentlemen we have a hull.
Now let the sanding begin.
The stern part is solid made by sandwiching balsa sections.

@Derekwarner: the laser cut of my pieces did leave some dust-like deposit. Touching the edges left my fingers as if I had worked with barbecue charcoal. Now I was told that cleaning with a damp rag would have done the job, no need to use thinner. Learned something for the next project.

Jurgen
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 03:27:23 AM by Paddlemex »

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 10:42:45 AM »

I have sanded the hull and applied one coat of fiberglass and epoxy.
I must admit that I was a bit shocked when I saw the result with the cured epoxy next morning. It was all wavy and not smooth at all. See the first 2 pictures.
I then gave it a good sanding and applied another coat of epoxy, this time thinned 20% with isopropyl alcohol. The result is now much better, but still requires a lot of body filler and sanding.
It must be the epoxy. I used a new product because the product I normally use is no longer available.
In parallel to the hull I started to cut parts for the wheel. I will assemble one wheel first to see if everything fits as planned. Then comes No.2.

Jurgen

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 02:00:04 PM »
I don't know if your aware of this roller for smoothing the resin/glass mix it's roller resembles a threaded rod but is simply grooved very handy for smoothing thicker glass mats quite cheap at resin shops and ebay.

For 6/10th ounce finishing cloth I made my own smooth  roller with some 10mm Brass rod and a wire coat hanger bent  to shape it removes 90% of the surface ripple in the resin.

It saves a lot of sanding I hope it gives you ideas.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 10:58:01 PM by DamienG »

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 08:23:36 PM »
Hi Jrgen,

it seems, that there was too much epoxy or may be the temparature was too low. In every case - sanding and working with spatula will solve the problems.

Regards Thomas

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 04:32:55 AM »

Damian & Thomas,

Both: too much epoxy and low temp.
It was pretty not-warm that day, about 15C (not really cold, but not warm either) when I applied the first coat. It took all night to cure. When I applied the second coat I took the wet hull to our Wintergarden and closed the doors. It must have been 35C there and that coat cured in less than four hours.
This epoxy is a lot thicker than the ones I had used before. The best was Clear & Simple, but that company is out of business for a long time, then I used ZPoxy, but I don't get that here anymore. Now I tried this one, but it's not the yolk of the egg.

I do have one of the small grooved rollers, but I have never used it in 30 years, and don't ask where it might be now. No idea.

Damian: I saw the picture of the trolley you had posted first instead of the grooved roller. I also saw it in the Tips&Ideas section. I have a similar trolley and will take your idea to build something similar to carry the model form the car to the water.

Jurgen

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 12:20:33 PM »
Jurgen it had to be fold up as it needed to hang on hooks behind the seat of my mobility scooter, i've also built a trailer for carrying up to 2 boats to water approximately 2km each way.

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 01:29:03 PM »

Damien: Fortunately I only have about 150 meters from the car to the water, but I will some sort of trolley anyway. Those ships tend to get heavier with every step you make.

I am still sanding, priming, filling, sanding my hull.

In the meantime I began making some parts of the wheels. I have a few spokes and the center hub.
This will be a multi-material wheel. For the hub I used a hard PVC bar which I had bought for another project some time ago. Machines nicely.

For the hub I made a jig to ensure that the grooves for the spokes will be aligned on both sides.
The aluminum center tube is inserted in a hole I made in the base, that centers the whole job.
Then I machine the grooves on one side, still without the jig.
Next step is to add the jig centered on the alu tube.
Now the hub is fixed again upside down and the already machined grooves fit in the jig and will guarantee aligned grooves on side two.

Have to cut more spokes and make the jig for bending the spokes. Stay tuned.

Jurgen

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 03:55:35 PM »
 :clap :beer :clap :beer A good start.

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2019, 02:48:21 AM »
Thanks Damian-

Here the situation of the hull.
The ripple is gone. The small scratches from coarse sanding will be taken care of individually.