Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Bearings....?  (Read 6445 times)

Offline Talisman

Bearings....?
« on: December 23, 2009, 05:10:31 AM »
Hi All,
A question that i have not fully answered myself so would appreciate some thoughts...

As most of us do not posses a lathe what do you all use as bearings on the hull (where the paddle shaft passes through the hull)
No right or wrong answers just interested to see how everyone does it.
Many thanks
Kim

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Re: Bearings....?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 05:16:53 AM »
I just use a piece of brass tube - We aren't talking of huge speeds, so friction is minimal, and I've never had a problem with water seeping into the hull.

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline Talisman

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 05:22:55 AM »
Excellent Eddy, that's the type of answer I'm after!

Offline Talisman

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 05:28:11 AM »
How do you secure them Eddy?

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 05:44:16 AM »
I just use araldite Kim - One further point, to ensure the two pieces are aligned perfectly I use a piece of brass rod right through the hull so they have to be in line!

If the rod is long enough it also makes it easy to sight down the length of the hull to check everything is straight, and also do the same from above to ensure you don't have one side slightly ahead of the other!

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline andy

• Model of paddle steamer DIESSEN 1:20
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 06:12:03 AM »
I used ballbearings on the Leviathan (similar to John Amos), which were fitted into a doldered housing at the hull. But hull is made from brass, so soldering no problem.

At PS DIESSEN with her brass hull too, I also soldered bigger brass rings for bearings to the hull. With a little hole for oiling them. The outer bearings autside the hull are brass, too on a frame in the wheelhouse.

Andreas

Offline Stuart Badger

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 07:25:00 AM »
I'm with Eddy on this one. I always think it's best to work on the 'KISS' principle  (Keep It Simple Stupid!).

Seriously though a nice generous length of brass tube at the sort of loads and speeds we are talking about provides an almost perfect journal bearing.

Stuart
Remember - a lone amateur built the Ark, it took a team of dedicated engineers to produce the Titanic.
Stuart

Offline Talisman

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 07:48:07 AM »
That will do for me Stuart, saves me coming up with some over engineered (expensive)  alternative.
And I learnt something along the way 'Journal bearing'
Don't you just love this site!
Thanks guys and if anybody else has anything I'd love to hear it.
Kim

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 08:09:39 AM »
I would use the brass tube, but do it like a propeller shaft. With short sections nesting in the ends of longer ones, this would give you a bit of space for lubricant.
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

ADAGIO

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 10:06:26 PM »
Hi All,
A question that i have not fully answered myself so would appreciate some thoughts...

As most of us do not posses a lathe what do you all use as bearings on the hull (where the paddle shaft passes through the hull)
No right or wrong answers just interested to see how everyone does it.
Many thanks
Kim
G'day Talisman.
One of  our members in the Logan City Marine Modellers (we run on Tygum Lagoon at Waterford, South of Brisbane) made his shaft bearings out of a couple of large diameter bolts - drill through the centre, slide in the hull, fit the shaft and run up the nut.  Nice job but needs a lathe.
I'm a bit lazy and I can't afford a lathe so I made mine out of 10mm thick chopping board stuff, screwed onto the hull sides.  The PTFE is an ideal bearing material and is a lot tougher as a bearing surface than most might think.  Besides, it can always be replaced with a couple of screws.  Cheers.
ADAGIO (slow dancin' man).

Offline Talisman

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 10:48:49 PM »

G'day Talisman.
One of  our members in the Logan City Marine Modellers (we run on Tygum Lagoon at Waterford, South of Brisbane) made his shaft bearings out of a couple of large diameter bolts - drill through the centre, slide in the hull, fit the shaft and run up the nut.  Nice job but needs a lathe.

What a brilliant idea, thanks very much for posting! Suppose i could use Eddy's epoxy idea to hold them which would save a bit of weight.

I'm a bit lazy and I can't afford a lathe so I made mine out of 10mm thick chopping board stuff, screwed onto the hull sides.  The PTFE is an ideal bearing material and is a lot tougher as a bearing surface than most might think.  Besides, it can always be replaced with a couple of screws.  Cheers.
ADAGIO (slow dancin' man).
Another good idea. Easy to produce and cheap
A trip to Ikea & Screwfix on the cards ... :)
Thanks,
Kim

Offline djcf

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 11:40:25 PM »
Hi all,
I have had a paddle wheel kit in storage for some years, and the shaft bushings have a oiler tube soldered on, however I have never used the wheels.
 I have been thinking about this recently, and as far as I can find out, the brass tube method seems the most popular, although small ball race bearings are available.
Noticed in an article (Model Boats - Glen Rosa) the builder used the brass inserts from Dyco universal couplings as shaft bushings

Clark

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 12:09:22 AM »
Hi PD's.... a little late as usual  :sorry ...here are a few .jpgs of the outboard bearing housings as manufactuted by our good colleague 'bogstandard' in 11/07....I have modified two  :hammer....the installation is as previously note by others with a 5/32" dummy shaft being the critical alignment tool

They are to suit  1/2" OD x 5/32" ID SR3ZZ stainless shielded ball races..........PS Decoy is a retirement project.......Derek  :beer
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 12:19:13 AM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Talisman

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 12:28:37 AM »
Very nice Derek, that's the sort of thing i thought I'd have to come up with a design for.
People seem to be satisfied with just a simple arrangement which suits me even better :)

Offline mjt60a

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 05:31:31 AM »
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)