Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Bearings....?  (Read 6451 times)

Offline R.G.Y.

Re: Bearings....?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 08:43:39 PM »
As members who look a my posts will know I have lots of rubbish. I use old sealed bearings from drills. Super glued to the shaft and held with a metal or wooden housing screwed to hull Geoff
G.Y.

Offline djcf

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 09:02:20 AM »
Hi PDs
I was re reading this thread as I'm trying out simple bearing ideas before I go near my hull!!!  My shaft will be 5mm silver steel, so I tried 5mm bore universal coupling ends, but the shaft won't go through.
Then had a go with some 6mm brass tube, (5mm tube telescopes into this) shaft goes through fine, but with a bit of play, I think because the tube is thinwall.
Obviously the play is tiny, but not sure about using the tube because of this.
Thinking about trying to find some 6mm tube with a slightly thicker wall, but will still allow free rotation of the shaft....any ideas/suggestions anyone?
cheers
Clark

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 09:07:27 AM »
One thing to beware of Clark, silver steel can rust, so it could seize up if the model is put into storage for a while!

Personally I'd change it to stainless steel, or brass for the shaft...

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline djcf

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 09:16:53 AM »
Thanks for that, Eddy, Good advice.
I had the silver steel (at least thats what its labelled) lying about, so have been experimenting with it.
I will try stainless or brass and see how the fit is inside the 6mm tubing.

Offline bill stafford

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 07:41:16 PM »
you can buy bronze/brass pre made bearings from some bearing retail out-lets , but i normally make my own on my lathe, i secure them in the hull sides w araldite , or i fit them into small prop tubes, but i have noticed some wear , as the paddle wheel is large compared to a prop, and intend to do the next set in bronze .
 last one i did i basically turned up bearings same as a prop tube , and glued them into ply up-rights , no outer prop tube ,all mine are fitted w a oiling tube