Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: RMS Connaught , 1860 (was: taking pictures at the London Science Museum)  (Read 21083 times)

Offline Stuart Badger

Ah!

I ordered plate 122 and 123 as your original post - are you saying that there is another drawing showing deck detail?.  I have one sheet which shows lines, sections, and side elevation of the hull only (2 funnel), and a second sheet that shows a plan view thru-decks and a side elevation sectioned (2 funnel).

They cost quite a bit of money but if there is more I guess i should have it. What exactly is on plate 124 please?

Do UCLA do copies? It took 6 weeks for the copies I have to come from the British Library.

Stuart
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 06:41:41 PM by Stuart Badger »
Remember - a lone amateur built the Ark, it took a team of dedicated engineers to produce the Titanic.
Stuart

greateastern

My apologies for the screw-up. I'll see that you (and Oliver, if he needs it as well) get what you need to complete your work. It will be a few days though. Busy just at the moment getting a bridge fixed--no, not the one on my paddler, but the one in my mouth that I put my foot into..

Offline Stuart Badger

I have just re-read my post!

You didn't screw up and I would have had to have the copy of sheet 124 anyway. I sounded a bit censorious didn't I - I do apologise!

The CD I got from the British Labrary is a superb way of holding drawings, it's scanned at 600dpi in a Tiff format - so no problem blowing it up to  48th scale, just print at 400% on several sheets! (I have an A3 printer) BUT it was about 50 pounds sterling per sheet! I would NOT have done it for any other ship!

I am at the moment moving furniture to clear a space!, but will probably start by building all the deck houses and small assemblies.

Thanks again for your help - if you hadn't of mentioned that the drawings were in Scott Russell's book - I would never have known!

Stuart
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 04:39:30 AM by Stuart Badger »
Remember - a lone amateur built the Ark, it took a team of dedicated engineers to produce the Titanic.
Stuart

Offline waldenmodels

Managed to add some quarter-deck details today...
My precision card models of unusual 19th century vessels are available at: http://www.waldenmodels.com
- Paddle Tug "Anglia"
- Cigar Yacht "Ross Winans"
- Russian Steam Yacht "Livadia"
- Torpedo Boat U.S.S. "Alarm"
- Obelisk Barge "Cleopatra"

Offline Stuart Badger

Good work Oliver!

A Question! how are you going to tackle the funnel tops? The funnels are raked back at an angle, but the top of the funnel is horizontal AND there is a quarter radius flare to them - do tell, cos I'm scratching my head at the moment!!

Stuart
Stuart

Offline waldenmodels

I'm not sure what you mean, Stuart - the drawing of the funnel itself, or the development of the surfaces?

I drew the defining curves based on Russell's drawing, Rhino then creates the surfaces for you. I've done a quick development of the flare using the _Smash command. This is probably accurate enough for 1/250 scale, but in your case you would want to develop the piece in segments and then stitch those together to reduce the deviation. Then again, I'm not familiar with your construction methods - perhaps you don't need to develop the surface?

Cheers,

Oliver

My precision card models of unusual 19th century vessels are available at: http://www.waldenmodels.com
- Paddle Tug "Anglia"

Offline Stuart Badger

thanks Oliver.

Stuart
Stuart

Offline waldenmodels

You're welcome, Stuart - though I feel I didn't actually help you much  :-[

A bigger problem for me now are the stairs from the bridge to the main deck. The ones on the London model are pretty posh and nothing like those on the deck plan. I've taken a stab at it but they're not quite right - the banister seems to high, and they are probably to narrow. I suspect there are mathematical rules to the design of stairs, but I'm no architect, so it's trial and error for me...

Cheers : Oliver

- Paddle Tug "Anglia"

Offline waldenmodels

I had to do the stairs over twice before I liked them...

- Paddle Tug "Anglia"

Offline waldenmodels

Things had been quiet on this front while I was busy finishing up the Anglia. I've started on the paddle wheels. Here just the rims, no moving bits yet. Stuart, you're in for a ride! Not to mention that this will be quite a challenge at 1:250 scale...

Cheers,

Oliver
- Paddle Tug "Anglia"

Offline Stuart Badger

Now THAT - is a thing of beauty Oliver!
I have started planning the wheel construction for mine - and have visited our local pharmacy for a three year supply of valium. This hobby IS fun isn't it?

Stuart
Stuart

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
My word, how many floats did the Connaught have? I count 14 from the image Oliver posted!!

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline Stuart Badger

That's right Eddy - 14! AND on a stroudley curved spoke WITH oodles of internal bracing - DOH!

Stuart
Stuart

Offline waldenmodels

Oh yes. Getting crowded in there... and these floats aren't feathered yet.

- Paddle Tug "Anglia"

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Gold Subscriber
  • Wollongong - Australia
"Oh yes. Getting crowded in there"....as Oliver says...in his collarge of clouds behind the wheel in his latest snap.... :sunglasses ....I can see UK, France & most of Europe & the sub Continent & the squashed up Americas.....but this must have been before the great land bridge broke away as I also see Australia [OZ & NZ]  :trophy ...but we is still in the northern hemisphere 'bit' of the world  

Is this a subliminal primitive map of the great world.......or just coincidence?  :kewlpics

Anyway ....great PC work there Oliver with the wheels....they will be very delicate so be careful not to do an 'Eddy'  :crash :hammer :oops :sorry.....Derek :beer
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 02:01:32 PM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au