Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Engines  (Read 17970 times)

paddlesteamerman1

Engines
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2006, 08:36:19 PM »
So if I governed as , say for examples sake a 14hp engine, to produce less hp at lower rpms that would reduce fuel consumption wouldn't it??
And by using a larger engine the noise would be less?

Offline anth

Engines
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2006, 08:47:53 PM »
it's all guess and estimates james until there are figure's of

hp needed to power hull
engine used/type  
hp
rpm

no-one  really knows. :thinking

paddlesteamerman1

Engines
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2006, 07:05:07 AM »
just have to wait and see what is needed to power the hull, and go on from there...
then you can work out all the rest from that..
ta

:beer

Offline mjt60a

Engines
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2006, 09:54:33 AM »
Just a thought or two on using a chain drive.....
Motorcycles mostly do use a chain drive but the speed it runs at is not too high as it has already been reduced by the gears inside the engine unit - particularly the crankshaft-to-clutch gearing. Having said that, lambretta scooters and most older british motorcycles (Triumph, BSA etc.) have a chain from the crankshaft to the gears and I never heard of one breaking, though of course they run in oil and, at least in the case of the lambretta, they use a multiple (duplex? triplex??) chain....
Whatever you do, remember it'll need to be able to reverse to stop the boat...
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

Offline Roderick Smith

Another motor & gear source
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2006, 11:01:48 AM »
Way back, I am sure that Sean floated the idea of using a ride-on mower engine.  I don't know how many gears a typical one has, but the gearbox does include reverse.  A motorcycle doesn't include reverse.

One thing which did deter me from buying a beautiful 13 m paddle vessel, which was available, was the amount of mechanical complexity it had, all needing mainenance.  Another problem was finding an affordable mooring.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

paddlesteamerman1

Engines
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2006, 04:43:41 PM »
Thinking of our ride on mower, it is really noisy I have to wear ear muffs to mow the lawns and I dont want anything noisy...
It would be a good thing to have the reverse with out needing a clutch though.. Still undecided

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Engines
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2006, 06:34:35 PM »
Want something quiet?

use a couple fo electric wheelchair motors to power the boat - almost silent in use. Then a small petrol generator to top up the batteries if necessary... Problem solved.
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

paddlesteamerman1

Engines
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2006, 07:03:59 PM »
Quiet is what I am aiming for on the SJ, and electric power does sound good, how long do you think that the batteries would last powering a boat?? And then if I charge the batteries it could work very well!!

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Engines
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2006, 07:11:23 PM »
Most wheelchairs use 12Ah batteries and have a top speed of 8-12 MPH and a range of around 10 miles, so in other words they can probably run for 2-3 hours if your careful....

Now if you ditch the 12Ah batteries and use one (or maybe even two) 60-100Ah leisure batteries you should be able to run all  day before recharging...

If you got hold of an old wheelchair/invalid scooter, you would get the motors (complete with their gearboxes), and a speed controller as well. Even allowing for the cost of buying the whole thing and just using it to rob the parts from, it should still be a viable alternative to petrol/diesel in terms of cost.

Just make sure you buy one that has reverse - Some of the cheaper ones are forwards only control.
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

paddlesteamerman1

Engines
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2006, 08:16:35 PM »
Yes, it definantely has to have reverse in the gears, or I will never stop!! And with the larger battery running for a day would be ample I would think!!
I will keep looking for a wheelchair motor and make sure it has reverse.
Anything is better than petrol, being in Ararat 1.29 per litre (I think?!?)
Thanks Eddy!! :D

Offline Roderick Smith

Electric power
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2006, 08:40:23 PM »
Duck Flats offers an electric option on the Mundoo, with solar panels on the roof.
There is a ~20 seat electric cruise launch on Lake Tyers which has enough range to get to Nowa Nowa and back on an all-day cruise (google on Rubeena)
There is an electric tourist-cruise launch on Lake Burley Griffin.
And there is Gnatty: try contacting that website for some guidance.

I suspect that the micro vessel which I posted somewhere in Paddleducks (jokingly dubbed 'Grebelet' by me) is electric.

I have seen a plan for using a kitchen beater as a cheap outboard motor; the cost was in the extension cord, and cruising was restricted to semicircles of at most 100 m radius.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Offline anth

Engines
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2006, 09:16:18 PM »
:hehe and you could call it  P.V beater

paddlesteamerman1

Engines
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2006, 06:39:07 AM »
Really, well that is all they basically are, Big Beaters!!!! If you had and Electric Paddle Vessel, would it become EPV Sarah-Jane!?
Also I am going to really look into electric power for the SJ, I will contact Duck Flat Wooden boats, and Gnat Riverboats. If I were to have solar panels, I could attach them to the roof of SJ, or the tops of the paddle boxes if I decide against the roof. All day quiet cruising is really what I am after and Electric power so far sounds the best!!

:beer

Offline mjt60a

Engines
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2006, 10:21:32 AM »
Electric wheelchair does sound good, the noise of a petrol engine was always going to be an issue....
If you could find one of the older types (ie. an actual motorised wheelchair with joystick control like these - http://www.spinlife.com/critpath/match.cfm?categoryID=56 - as opposed to a 'mobility scooter' with handlebars) it most likely has independant motor drive for 'tank style' steering...
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Engines
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2006, 10:25:54 AM »
I should say that I can't really take the credit for coming up with electric wheelchair motors for a small paddler. Walter Snowdon and I were talking about it over a couple of beers the other day, and he came up with the suggestion...

Though I have to admit that the more you think about it the more practical it seems...