Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Marine Steam Plants for boats up to 35' length, Australia  (Read 7374 times)

paddlesteamerman1

Marine Steam Plants for boats up to 35' length, Australia
« on: November 11, 2006, 12:57:21 PM »
I just found a really decent looking site on the internet - http://users.olis.net.au/strathsteam/
and it sells marine steam plants to power vessels up to 35' in length.
I think it is worth a look anyway  :sunglasses
It is in Goolwa, South Australia..

:beer

Offline anth

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 05:27:09 PM »
Have a look at the prices.....!
 S,Steam only supply finished engines which can be big buck's depending on the model...And then boiler you will need a budget of at least $10,000-15,000 au dollars for your steam plant.

You can't just get a steam plant and put it in a boat you need to know.
...hull size
...Displacement
...speed
this determines hp needed by the engine then from there you  calculate steam hp for the boiler.that will help design the boiler needed.....then you work out your paddle wheel diameter,and width
spokes,rev's per minute and ratio to engine speed.

In other words heaps of research!!! :wink:
once you have settled on a hull then worry about the engine :luck

Offline Sean Bryan

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 10:02:54 AM »
How do you work out speed without an engine?

Displacement is the weight of the boat right...because that is then how much it displaces in the water.

Hull size I've got covered!

Hey anth making a steam engine is all good but where on earth do I get a boiler from?
Would it be cheaper to use compressed air for instance?

Sean
Theatre Producer, World Traveler, Paddle Steamer Enthusiast

www.seanbryan.com

Offline anth

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 12:38:28 PM »
speed of a hull is dertimed by the water line shape and length there is a formula but off the top of my head :?
we need to know hull speed in larger boats because overpowering them is a waste.
average 1 hp per tonne
1 sq foot heating surface per hp

In your case everything is smaller hence the cost will be cheaper.
The boiler can be made i was thinking a water tube boiler and engine of around 1.3/4-2" with a 2" stroke will suit

paddlesteamerman1

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 04:36:57 PM »
Yeah, I just saw the site and thought maybe someone might like it eh!! I have a long way to go yet before I can look at engines. Hopefully I can get a decent hull.. But I might need some help with all the engine kind of stuff...
Thanks Anth!!

Offline Sean Bryan

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 06:23:14 PM »
Are you sure making one is safe? I thought boiler making was a fine art....don't want Grebe blowing up on a run! Anyway I have no experience in boiler building! But if we can work something out I'm good for thinking about it!

Classic example of under powering a boat PS Barmah!!!! Grebe will probably go faster than her!

www.seanbryan.com

paddlesteamerman1

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 06:31:11 PM »
The Barmah? It does go slow and I have heard the stories, what engine is in it do you know?
And I wouldnt make my own boiler!! But buying one could be very expensive, so I am up for any ideas and help that anyone has!!

Offline anth

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 06:50:55 PM »
Sean the boiler you need will classed as hobby well within the scope of the code,water tube boiler ARE the safest boiler you can have and they are very quick steaming.
My boiler for my paddler is a water tube type and you find the one in billy tea is as well.
Copper is the way to go for corrosion and boiler inspection is a must...!
All my boiler's are inspected I have one being inspect for my 5" gauge loco next week.
"Boiler's are not a toy" and are completely safe used in the right way with an experienced operator,I suggest you worry about the engine for the minute :wink: the rest will fall into place.

Offline Sean Bryan

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 08:24:26 PM »
Ok well then we'll worry about that later! For now though I'm really focussing on the hull though! Engine still in mind of course! You'll have to come down to the 'shed' one day Anthony so you can check Grebe out for yourself and see what you think and what would work etc! Then see if we have the equipment to make the engine etc!

Would I need a steam engineers certificate to operate her? Or as she is a 'hobby' engine it would be enough to not have one?

www.seanbryan.com

paddlesteamerman1

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 10:27:51 AM »
I would think that because it would be classed as a 'hobby' boiler and engine you wouldnt need a ticket to operate it legally. Also, wouldnt you need to know the weight of your engine/boiler so you can know weather or not your hull will support it or not?
And you wouldnt need a large Hp engine, considering the Pevensey has something like only a 24hp engine. To power small vessel you would need a really small engine?

Offline Sean Bryan

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 04:45:00 PM »
Pevensey is a 20hp engine...
Adelaide 36hp
Emmylou 16hp
Alexander Arbuthnot 7hp (that's official we checked the books when writing out my log!)
Canberra...12hp? I can't remember her off the top of my head!
Grebe -1Hp (heheheh thought it would be a funny one to add!)

Wheels and sponsons asist in the balance of the vessel, the engine and boiler mounted correctly should also weigh the boat down but not rock her or be oversized!

www.seanbryan.com

paddlesteamerman1

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 04:59:19 PM »
Hehehe, Go the Grebe!!! But 1hp would be ample for a small boat though. I was thinking a rather small plant for the Sarah-Jane, about 1-2hp. But that has to wait until I get my hull  :cry: and that seems an age away, there is a new candidate on the Sarah-Jane Forum!
Cheers :beer