Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: APAM Library! Aussie Paddler Sources listed for your benefit  (Read 8717 times)

Offline Sean Bryan

I've been waiting awhile to post my collection of Paddler related books so far...and APAM Seems to be a good time to do it!

So here are all my Aussie paddler books so far, if you have any others please feel free to add to the APAM Libraries collection!

Parsons, Ronald Ships of the Inland Rivers Gould Books, 1987 ISBN: 0 947284 34 6
-This book is the Aussie Paddler bible- basically every boat that has been based on the Murray until Ronalds death is recoreded in this book with dimensions, photos, locations and short stories

Plowman, Peter Murray Darling Paddleboats Rosenberg, 2005 ISBN: 1 877058 37 8
-Where Ronald Parsons leaves Peter Plowman takes over, this book has all current Aussie paddlers and those about to be launched with handy details and stories about the boats including privately owned boats

Coulson, Helen Paddle Steamer Adelaide McCabe Prints, 1985 ISBN: 0 959618 74 0
- This is the story of the Adelaide from her original launch to her recommissioning. An excellent history on the boat!

Lawson, Will Paddle-Wheels Away! F.J. Thwaites (PTY) Limited, 1947 No ISBN
- A fictional book about the adventures of Dan Dalley along the Murray River featuring real boats!

Williams, Rod Pioneering Pathways Terry Howe Printing Services PTY Ltd. 2003 ISBN 0 9750315 0 3
- The story of Mannum from paddlers, the town, their butchers, bakers, barbers, undertakers, the flood of 56 every detail of Mannum is described in this superb book including the stories of various paddlers including the Mary Ann and Marion.

Drage, William and Page, Michael Riverboats and Rivermen Rigby, 1976 ISBN: 0 7270 1557 5
-More than just a biography of Captain William Drage this book describes every aspect of paddle steaming on the Murray including diagrams of locks, pulling your boat off a sand bar and much much more!

O'Neill, Danny Ancestral Streams notes from the Murray Valley Bookhenge Press, 2005 ISBN: 0 975734 80 6
- I couldn't put this one down, one mans journey from Source to Sea, staying in towns until he'd seen the lot. Features geogrpahical, historical and many other fascinating stories about the Murray. Paddle steamers though appear second to Railways and the Military...I'll leave it at that!

Kelsall, E.M 'Mick' A Riverman's Story Lothian Publishing Company 1986 ISBN: 0 85091 334 9
- Life on the river for a bargee from Echuca and surrounds. Kelsall worked on the outriggers towed by boats such as the Adelaide. A great read to find out about the life.

Phillips, Peter J Redgum & Paddlewheels Greenhouse 1980 ISBN: 909104 26 3
- Phillips is a genious, his books are fantastic! They cover all aspects of the Paddle Steamer era and are full of era photos! They tend to be sold for high prices along the Murray in Secondhand bookshops!

Burt, Jocelyn Murray River Rigby, 1973 ISBN: 0 85179 429 7
-Lots of pictures from when the Murray began to become a tourist trap rather than a series of working towns!

Larkins, John and Parish, Steve Australia's Greatest River Weldon Publishing 1982 ISBN: 1 86302 112 4
-The amazing photos of Steve Parish combine with the story of the Murray- fantastic to flick through!

Phillips Peter River Boat Days on the Murray, Darling, Murrumbidgee Lansdowne 1972 ISBN: 7018 0046 1
-Another of Phillips wonderous books...full of great pictures again!

Mudie, Ian River Rivals William Collins Publishers 1975 ISBN: 0 00 195025 8
-A children's history of the first two paddle steamers, the Mary Ann and the lady Augusta. I only just picked this one up! It is filled with illustrations of the boats and river life, I haven't read it yet though...but with Mudie at the Helm it should be pretty accurate!

Junor, Lloyd Echuca - Moama World paddle-steamer capital Aussie Outback Publishing 2006 ISBN: 0 9757489 1 2
-The best guide to Echuca, Moama and other surrounding towns! Photos of all the major attractions, old houses and interesting things. No large amounts of texts just short and sweet descriptions of the pictures. An expensive tour guide...but well worth the money! Very bright and colourful!

Bennett, Kit Paddle Steamers of the Murray River Lothian Books, 2004 ISBN:0 7344 0713 0
-Lots of fantastic photos in a hardback essay on the Murray River and it's history. Boats, towns, barges and all are talked about...a little hazy witht the facts some times but the photos make up for that!

Morris, Allan Rich River Riverine Herald 1953 No ISBN
-A comprehensive guide to the history of Echuca including the Iron Bridge, The Boats, The last bare knuckle fist fight and more! A little old now but just makes it to the Adelaide being placed in the Hopwood gardens!

Christopher, Peter Paddlesteamers and Riverboats of the River Murray Axiom, 2000 ISBN: 1 86476 040 0
-This book covers many of the modern paddlers up adn down the Murray, grouping them into locations. Seems a little outdated now with Peter Plowmans book out! But as my first paddler book was absolutely fantastic! Gives a quick snapshot of boats details!

www.seanbryan.com

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
APAM Library! Aussie Paddler Sources listed for your benefit
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 04:56:06 PM »
Could you posibly add the ISBN numbers of the books Sean - It makes it so much easier to locate them if anyone wants to get a copy. Thanks...
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline Walter Snowdon

Australian book list.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 01:22:08 AM »
Hi Sean. Have you got RIVER BOATS by IAN MUDIE in your collection? If not. I will send you my copy as a thank you for all the work you have put into paddleducks. If you would like it send me a message via PD email with a forwarding adress and I will get Eddy to sign it for you along with other members of PD in our club. It has an interesting history. It was posted to England from Australia in 1964, so if you want it, it will have traveled around the world in 42 years, not bad for an Aussie paddler (book)!!!!!. Thanks again for all your hard work- its great to see one so young show such dedication to a pastime. All research is precious so keep it up. Oh, its in almost mint condition with an untorn dust jacket and all the photo pages are intact.  Regards, Walter.

Offline Sean Bryan

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 02:13:34 PM »
Ok everyone here is part 2 of my Paddler Library! I added in ISBN's Eddy! Thanks for your generous offer Walter, I will be in touch!
Now on to the second half of my book collection so far!
- The book that spawned not one but two telemovies, which in turn made the newly created Port OF Echuca famous internationally, and still they get tourists saying 'We saw the Pevesney on TV and thought we'd come in and visit! The story spans the entire length of the Murray and is the story of Dellie Gordon who defies all odds and critiscism to become a mother, captain and heroin of the Murray!

Fatchen, Max The River Kings Puffin Books, 1970 ISBN: 0 14 034775 5
-Another fictional story about a boy Shaun who runs away from home to join the river on a down and out boat, lots of adventure in store! This also became a TV series which was then adapted into a 3 1/2 hour movie starring the Akuna Amphibious (now looking very different) and the Industry! I grew up on the TV show, I read the book when I was a kid, my name is Sean...there's something eerily similar about the character and me...

Rowland, E.C The Paddle Steamer Gem, Queen Of The Murray Mullaya 1976 ISBN: 0 85914 019 9
- A great history of the Paddle Steamer Gem, our biggest original boat (The Murray Princess is now the largest) The Gem had an interesting life and one of its most interesting cargo loads was an elephant! Read all about it in this fantastic book!

Dugan, Michael The Great Overland Riverboat Race  Puffin Books 1982 ISBN: 0 1403 1462 8
-An interesting concept about what would happen if the river ran dry...oh it's a fiction book again, good for a laugh! Which captain will win the Great Overland Riverboat Race?

Green, Cliff The Incredible Steam-Driven Adventures of Riverboat Bill Knight Books 1975 ISBN: 0 340 24697 9
-Oh this has to be my favourite paddle steamer novel, a wreck of a paddle steamer and equal captain get the boat afloat again with the help of a Bunyip who eats tins and breathes fire! Lots of rollicking fun!

Green, Cliff The Further Adventures of Riverboat Bill Hodder & Stoughton 1981 ISBN: 0 340 27987 7
-Yes he wrote a sequal, less paddling this time however when the PS Mystery turns into a hot air balloon! Probably enough ideas to write another book!

Green, Cliff Riverboat Bill Steams Again Hodder & Stoughton 1985 ISBN: 0 340 38440 9
-Oh dear there is another one! This time their is a stern wheeler involved, some racing, winning and losing boats, a film company, The Mystery goes to the ocean with a giant sail...I never finished it to be honest, the series started off good at least! Maybe I grew too old for Riverboat Bill!

Mudie, Ian Riverboats Seal Books 1961 ISBN: 0 85179 380 0
- Stories and photos galore, truly an excellent book! I haven't read it entirely becuase my copy fell about...the whole middle keeps breaking every time I open it  :cry: and I was looking so forward to reading it to!

Kerr, Margaret and Colin The River Men Rigby 1975 ISBN: 0 85179 861 6
-Your basic story of the Murray and it's river men, has some interesting pictures I've never seen before...some look like copies for instance one that has the Echuca wharf with a series of boats...none of which having paddle wheels

The Historic Town Of Wentworth Sunraysia Daily 1969 No ISBN
This is a quaint little tourist booklet...much more like a book than todays tourist leaflets! Lots of history, pictures and old advertisements!

Williams, Rod River Murray Journal Rod Williams 1996 ISBN: 0 646 27101 6
- A nice little journal that talks about people, towns, fishing, riverboats historical events and environmental issues! A few pictures are labelled wrong, but otherwise a good read!

Hibbins, G.M Barmah Chronicles Lynedoch Publications 1991 ISBN:0 646 02766 2
- A great history on the town of Barmah...too bad mine smells heavily off moth balls and as such Mum banned it to 'out in the garage' for 3 months! It's back inside now! Covers the red gum industry, aboriginals, riverboats and much more!

Wright, M.A River Murray Charts Renmark South Australia to Yarrawonga Victoria B.J and M.A Wright 1975 ISBN:0 9598463 0 1
- Mine's a very outdated copy but these maps are constantly reproduced! Murray Charts were a big part of our river trade with all captains having there own sets of what could appear at times like a bunch of doodles on some paper, but these maps contain everything from wood piles, homesteads and river hazards. The one's in the book contain fuel stops, tourist attractions, river hazards and hsandy fact tid bits alogn with sketches of the river! Very handy for a Murray Cruise!

Burdon, Amanda The Murray River Australian Geographic 2000 ISBN: 1 86276 028 4
-A great book about all aspects of the murray with fantastic colour pictures! Lots of interviews and views of not only landscapes and paddlers but vineyars, orchards, animal life and history...be careful though you'll want to save the Murray after you read it!

Mudie, Ian and McLeod, Jeanette River Murray Sketchbook Rigby1969 National Library Of Australia Registry Number: AUS68-88o
- Little sketches and histories of towns along the Murray

Painter, Gwenda In The Wake Of The Coonawarra Lothian Publishing Co. PTY. LTD. 1970 ISBN: 85091-122 5
The story of the Coonawarra a boat built in the 50's from 3 other vessels the Murrumbidgee, Excelsior and the J.L Roberts barge. As such it covers the history of these boats as well as the Coonawarra. Fantastic book, much more than I expected! great photo pages too!

Anderson, Joe Murray Riverman The Life of George Freeman Hill Of Content 1985 ISBN: 0 85572 152 9
- The storyof George 'Buck' Freeman and his work on the river. I've just started reading this one and it's not bad so far!

If you are hunting for these books here are some tips:
-Try not to buy in second hand bookshops along the Murray- Books tend to be very overpriced because they know people will buy!
-Australiana and Transport sections tend to be where these books are found, take a look around childrens book sections too!
-Second Handbook shops are the best place to look
-Select books from above are still available today.
-Often Tourist Information centres will sell books relating to the boats!
-When buying on Ebay consult me if I have the book I can tell you if it's worth it!
-All of my books I have so far (bar one new one) I payed less than AUS$40 for, just check content before you waste too much money!
-Ask me for more details about any of the books listed, I will be able to tell you how good/bad they are

So there are some books for you all to find! Happy reading, Happy APAM!
Sean[/i]
Theatre Producer, World Traveler, Paddle Steamer Enthusiast

www.seanbryan.com

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 05:10:56 PM »
Hi PD's - Sean - I acquired a copy today of...

Phillips Peter..."River Boat Days on the Murray, Darling, Murrumbidgee Lansdowne 1972 ISBN: 7018 0046 1
- Another of Phillips wonderous books...full of great pictures again!

Many of the photographs are the same as "Ships of the Inland Rivers", the newer book has 11 1/8" x 9 5/8" page size & BIG snaps - very happy  :D - Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Sean Bryan

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 09:57:00 PM »
I have another Phillips book and a few others to add to my list...along with a steam engineers book that I aquired last time I was in Echuca!
Will add them soon! I'm absolutely buggered, I had a full day rehearsal for my play today and I'm in no mood to write up a series of details about books~

www.seanbryan.com

Offline Roderick Smith

Australian books
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 05:59:44 PM »
I mentioned these in responses in the Research forum.

* All Port Phillip Bay and coastal shipping (Victoria): paddle, screw and sail.
Jack Loney 'Bay Steamers and coastal ferries', Reed (1988 update of 1982 first edition). Isbn 0 909191 38 7.

* The definitive work for Port Phillip excursion steamers is T K Fitchett 'Down the bay; the story of the excursion boats of Port Phillip', Rigby, 1973; Isbn 0 85179 632 X.
It was illustrated exclusively with watercolour paintings made by the author

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Offline Roderick Smith

Paddlesteamer videos
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 04:22:37 PM »
Mentioned in recent discussions was the video 'Riverboats remembered', from National Film & Sound Archive.  This is 70 min of prime material, mainly b&w, and mainly 1920s & 1930s.  It has a good coverage of the passenger vessels on tourist cruises in the 1930s.  There are colour scenes of PS Adelaide being hoisted into the park at Echuca.  Cargo operations are shown, and Adelaide on its final years towing log barges.

Not mentioned so far has been the video 'Bayside reflections': different aspects of Port Phillip Bay, mainly as a holiday zone.  One chapter is devoted to the bay-excursion steamers, with wonderful scenes of crowded boats arriving at the bayside resorts in the 1920s and disgorging perhaps a thousand passengers.

I rang the archive today.  The tapes are out of production, with no plans to reissue them, or to issue on dvd.
You may still be able to find a stock in tourist shops (or on e-Bay).
Australians can view them at NF&SA's open-access outlets in Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne, and request via state libaries in other capital cities.
I went to the website, www.nfsa.afc.gov.au, and couldn't find either listed in the lending pool.  Organisations can hire such material for screening.

My officer's suggestion: write to us with a request to reissue, or to suggest new titles of similar character to produce.

My suggestion to you all: write, and request a reissue on dvd (possibly a hybrid: river and bay boats remembered).

Meanwhile, from other sources,
All the rivers run (1983) is out of print, but may be reissued: keep goint to the Port of Echuca website to find out.
River kings (1991) has never been issued on video or dvd.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Offline Sean Bryan

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 09:24:16 PM »
River Kings has been released on Video. I've seen the video (pro cover and all, it's all pro, not just taped off TV)

It's not exactly as the TV series though- they cut it down to (roughly) a 3 hour film.

Both the Bay and Riverboats Remembered Videos are available through the Sharps Movie House And Penny Arcade- and I have seen them somewhere else.

Overseas purchases though would be slightly difficult under these conditions.

It is possible to get 'original takes' or something of The River Kings- but for 200 dollars an episode (or something of the like) its a tad expensive for my liking. My version is much better- even if it's not ALL the footage from every episode.

In the meantime.

Today at the Port I purchased 2 books.

Australian Riverboats- A Pictorial History
Peter Christopher
Axiom Australia
First published 2006
ISBN: 9781864764741

This one is FULL of old photos and some new photos along with sketches of some boats too. I haven't read written material yet so I don't know how good that is, but there are quite a few photos I haven't seen before.

An interesting section is the 'before and after' section- old photos of surving boats with accompanying new photos.

Also has a section of the fleet of Milk Boats such as MV Loyalty, along with breaking down the paddler groups. Etona is not the only 'mission paddler' according to the book (well from what I assumed as I flicked through on the bus) I will read in further depth tonight.

The second book I missread the title- I though it said 'Paddlers Of The River' as it featured a picture of the Murray River Princess. (I was in a rush)...my mistake though.

The actual title is:
Riddles of the River
Alan Eager and David Eastburn
TWICEasEAGER
No ISBN

This book is actually a good buy I have a feeling, it is FULL of stories of cultural heritage from the Murray, Darling, surrounding tributaries and land. (This is going to be good for Geography I think). I love to read the stories of the days psat on the river- either boats or not, along with informative tid-bits etc, so I'm actually quite looking forward to reading this one!

www.seanbryan.com

Offline Roderick Smith

Plowman 'Wheels still turn'
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 12:00:17 PM »
Alistair alerted me to the existence of this book, now out of print.
I went to Melbourne's premier marine bookshop [Victoria, Australia], which has a website:
Hyland's books, exclusively transport (rail, air, water, some bus) and military.  The book was not on the online catalog.
I went to Australian e-Bay, and there was one 'scarce'.
I couldn't alert the group until I had won the auction, and the book had been delivered.  Mint condition and magnificent.

Peter Plowman, the 'Wheels still turn; a history of Australian paddleboats', Kangaroo Press, 1992, Isbn 0 86417 428 4.

Paddlewheel design and evolution
Steam engines
Pioneers
Sydney: Harbour, Parramatta River, Hawkesbury River
NSW coastal
Intercolonial
Overseas
Bass Strait
Tasmania
Queensland
WA
Victoria: coast & Gippsland lakes, Yarra River, Lake Wendouree, Port Phillip Bay
Tugs
Murray River: exploration, Randell & Cadell, Opening up, cargo, snagging, hawking, fishing, mission, passenger, cruise, excursion, houseboats
Paddleboats today

It may well resolve many questions which have been asked so far in this forum, and fill gaps.

Serious devotees, start your e-Bay (or second-hand bookshop) hunts.

I have edited this post to get the isbn correct, alerted by David Waverley in a subsequent post in this thread.  He also cites some useful sources for purchasing this book.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith

paddlesteamerman1

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 11:47:22 AM »
I just recently purchased the "Australian Riverboats a Pictorial History" by Peter Christopher and it is a fantastic book. I bought mine for $24.95AUD from BookCity and it has some great pictures in it.. I had never seen a photo of the PS Pevensey at work until I bought this book... Highly Recommended

I  found a couple of books not mentioned on your list..
"The River Trade" by G. Painter (Turton and Armstrong Publishers 1979 and 1987)  - ISBN - 0908031300 - It has a black and white cover with a picture of the PS Mundoo and Barge Duck on it.

"The Mission Paddle Steamer Etona" by Maurice Fenton and Rod Williams is a great book about a great boat (Published by Rod Williams)  - ISBN - 0646185306 - has a lovely colour picture of the PS Etona in full steam with a church session going on.

I scanned the front covers to give you all a better idea on the look of the book as I didn't describe them very well.

"The Paddle Steamer Marion a chronological Look at the Marion's past 100years" by Rod Williams - and is a small 44 page black and white simple layout PS Marion biography with great photos and stories. I cant give an ISBN on this book... this was the "trial" book in which he gave me not long after the book was released.. It is a creamy coloured A5 size book with a sketch of the PS Marion on the front, and is published by Rod Williams.

These are not big books, the first 2 books are 15cm x 20cm and are between 101 and 104 pages long.

I have read these books over and over and over again, and I always find something new in them...

An edit to my original post.. I found another book.

"Riverboat Ways Australia's Inland Paddlewheelers" by Peter J Phillips (Greenhouse Publications 1983) ISBN - 0909104638 - and this truly has some spectacular photos in it.. a double page of the sunken PS Gem, A beautiful photo of the now gone PS Captain Sturt and a photo of the PS Murrumbidgee on fire are among my favourites from the book. It is fantastic and full of "I've never seen these photos before"!!!

paddlesteamerman1

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 12:26:30 PM »
Front Covers of the mentioned books

paddlesteamerman1

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 01:52:16 PM »
I just searched through my bookcase looking for a school book for tomorrow and came across these two books I forgot I had...

"Where were you when the Waters Broke? Recollection of the 1956 Flood"
- Compiled by J.K Zagotsis - published by Berri Barmera Council... ISBN - 0977580202 - and is a interesting collection of interviews, pictures and stories from the 1956 floods...

Through Drought and Flood - 100 years with the Morgan Council" and it was written by Wynnis J. Ruediger - published by District of Morgan Council... ISBN and National Library of Australia Card Number - 0731637127 - and is a good read about the history of Morgan.. about the boom it had.. much like Echuca but smaller. We only bought it because it has a photo of our house in Morgan...

PeterC

Re: APAM Library! Aussie Paddler Sources listed for your ben
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2007, 11:13:02 PM »
Hi Sean

you may already know since your 2006 posting, but author Ron Parsons is alive, I was on the phone to him a month or so ago. You may have confused the death with another South Australian author, Rod Williams, who unfortunately passed away.

I've only just become aware of this site, and your Wharf On Line site. Great work. Regards Peter Christopher

Quote from: "thewharfonline"
I've been waiting awhile to post my collection of Paddler related books so far...and APAM Seems to be a good time to do it!

So here are all my Aussie paddler books so far, if you have any others please feel free to add to the APAM Libraries collection!

Parsons, Ronald Ships of the Inland Rivers Gould Books, 1987 ISBN: 0 947284 34 6
-This book is the Aussie Paddler bible- basically every boat that has been based on the Murray until Ronalds death is recoreded in this book with dimensions, photos, locations and short stories

Plowman, Peter Murray Darling Paddleboats Rosenberg, 2005 ISBN: 1 877058 37 8
-Where Ronald Parsons leaves Peter Plowman takes over, this book has all current Aussie paddlers and those about to be launched with handy details and stories about the boats including privately owned boats

Coulson, Helen Paddle Steamer Adelaide McCabe Prints, 1985 ISBN: 0 959618 74 0
- This is the story of the Adelaide from her original launch to her recommissioning. An excellent history on the boat!

Lawson, Will Paddle-Wheels Away! F.J. Thwaites (PTY) Limited, 1947 No ISBN
- A fictional book about the adventures of Dan Dalley along the Murray River featuring real boats!

Williams, Rod Pioneering Pathways Terry Howe Printing Services PTY Ltd. 2003 ISBN 0 9750315 0 3
- The story of Mannum from paddlers, the town, their butchers, bakers, barbers, undertakers, the flood of 56 every detail of Mannum is described in this superb book including the stories of various paddlers including the Mary Ann and Marion.

Drage, William and Page, Michael Riverboats and Rivermen Rigby, 1976 ISBN: 0 7270 1557 5
-More than just a biography of Captain William Drage this book describes every aspect of paddle steaming on the Murray including diagrams of locks, pulling your boat off a sand bar and much much more!

O'Neill, Danny Ancestral Streams notes from the Murray Valley Bookhenge Press, 2005 ISBN: 0 975734 80 6
- I couldn't put this one down, one mans journey from Source to Sea, staying in towns until he'd seen the lot. Features geogrpahical, historical and many other fascinating stories about the Murray. Paddle steamers though appear second to Railways and the Military...I'll leave it at that!

Kelsall, E.M 'Mick' A Riverman's Story Lothian Publishing Company 1986 ISBN: 0 85091 334 9
- Life on the river for a bargee from Echuca and surrounds. Kelsall worked on the outriggers towed by boats such as the Adelaide. A great read to find out about the life.

Phillips, Peter J Redgum & Paddlewheels Greenhouse 1980 ISBN: 909104 26 3
- Phillips is a genious, his books are fantastic! They cover all aspects of the Paddle Steamer era and are full of era photos! They tend to be sold for high prices along the Murray in Secondhand bookshops!

Burt, Jocelyn Murray River Rigby, 1973 ISBN: 0 85179 429 7
-Lots of pictures from when the Murray began to become a tourist trap rather than a series of working towns!

Larkins, John and Parish, Steve Australia's Greatest River Weldon Publishing 1982 ISBN: 1 86302 112 4
-The amazing photos of Steve Parish combine with the story of the Murray- fantastic to flick through!

Phillips Peter River Boat Days on the Murray, Darling, Murrumbidgee Lansdowne 1972 ISBN: 7018 0046 1
-Another of Phillips wonderous books...full of great pictures again!

Mudie, Ian River Rivals William Collins Publishers 1975 ISBN: 0 00 195025 8
-A children's history of the first two paddle steamers, the Mary Ann and the lady Augusta. I only just picked this one up! It is filled with illustrations of the boats and river life, I haven't read it yet though...but with Mudie at the Helm it should be pretty accurate!

Junor, Lloyd Echuca - Moama World paddle-steamer capital Aussie Outback Publishing 2006 ISBN: 0 9757489 1 2
-The best guide to Echuca, Moama and other surrounding towns! Photos of all the major attractions, old houses and interesting things. No large amounts of texts just short and sweet descriptions of the pictures. An expensive tour guide...but well worth the money! Very bright and colourful!

Bennett, Kit Paddle Steamers of the Murray River Lothian Books, 2004 ISBN:0 7344 0713 0
-Lots of fantastic photos in a hardback essay on the Murray River and it's history. Boats, towns, barges and all are talked about...a little hazy witht the facts some times but the photos make up for that!

Morris, Allan Rich River Riverine Herald 1953 No ISBN
-A comprehensive guide to the history of Echuca including the Iron Bridge, The Boats, The last bare knuckle fist fight and more! A little old now but just makes it to the Adelaide being placed in the Hopwood gardens!

Christopher, Peter Paddlesteamers and Riverboats of the River Murray Axiom, 2000 ISBN: 1 86476 040 0
-This book covers many of the modern paddlers up adn down the Murray, grouping them into locations. Seems a little outdated now with Peter Plowmans book out! But as my first paddler book was absolutely fantastic! Gives a quick snapshot of boats details!

Waverley

Re: Plowman 'Wheels still turn'
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 08:57:18 AM »
Quote from: "Roderick Smith"
Alistair alerted me to the existence of this book, now out of print.
I went to Melbourne's premier marine bookshop [Victoria, Australia], which has a website:
Hyland's books, exclusively transport (rail, air, water, some bus) and military.  The book was not on the online catalog.
I went to Australian e-Bay, and there was one 'scarce'.
I couldn't alert the group until I had won the auction, and the book had been delivered.  Mint condition and magnificent.

Peter Plowman, the 'Wheels still turn; a history of Australian paddleboats', Kangaroo Press, 1992, Isbn 0 864176 482 4.

Roderick B Smith

Hi Roderick & others - If you don't know about it, may I recommend abebooks and bookfinder (find 'em with google :D ).   There are six copies of this listed with abebooks right now - 5 in Australia at $40 dollars and upwards and one in Scotland for rather less.   It's something I always check before going near ebay - no point in bidding up for something I can get cheaper without the hassle of an auction and the worry about being sniped.

Regards

David

Edited to add - abebooks gives a slightly different  ISBN: 0864174284