Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: APAM Library! Aussie Paddler Sources listed for your benefit  (Read 8718 times)

Offline Roderick Smith

Peter's book
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2007, 09:04:43 AM »
Sean mentioned this one as the first book which he obtained for his now-extensive library.  The author joined the group 2 days ago, having just discovered its existence.
Peter Christopher 'Paddlesteamers and riverboats of the River Murray', revised and enlarged edition, Axiom Publishing, 2001, isbn 1 86476 040 0.
It has 120 A5 pages, perfect bound.
About half is a catalog style section describing ~50 boats.  The other half is context information: history, river culture, topped up with some historic photos, an index and a bibliography.
The book includes some vessels which are not paddle boats:
* The Murray Bridge milk boats.  A couple survive as private launches now.  MV Loyalty, which had been running cruises at Wentworth, has been sold to a downriver private purchaser and taken out of commercial survey.
* MV Kookaburra.  This two-deck vessel was built for lunch cruises on Port River (Adelaide).  It has been based at Swan Hill for many years, running lunch cruises there.  I am told that it is stranded at Euston, heading to a Wentworth operator.
* MV Aroona.  This two-deck vessel was built for cruises from Goolwa through the barrage lock to visit the Murray mouth and Coorong.  It shows in a photo which I posted showing PS Industry  at Goolwa (p5 of APAM LoP, in Research).  Aroona was for sale at the time, and has left the river.  I believe that it is used in one of the gulfs as the support vessel for scuba-diving adventure groups, but I have no confirmation and no details.

As at 1981, the rrp was AUD12.95; I don't know whether it is still obtainable at that price.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Offline Sean Bryan

APAM Library! Aussie Paddler Sources listed for your benefit
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2007, 06:02:34 PM »
That's fantastic to hear that Peter Christopher has joined the group, so welcome Peter to Paddle Ducks, hope you enjoy your stay.

Oh just saw your post too...I must have got the situation wrong- or maybe I was thinking because a more updated edition hadn't come out yet yours had...I'm not sure, it was awhile ago.

Anyway welcome, and thanks for the feedback fro my website. It's very old now. My work in the APAM sections of the website are a more up to date version. I haven't even looked at my website for a long time.

Sean
Theatre Producer, World Traveler, Paddle Steamer Enthusiast

www.seanbryan.com

paddlesteamerman1

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2007, 06:52:09 PM »
Welcome to Peter !!!

I just won a book on ebay.. a large coffee table book called Redgum and Paddlewheels by Peter J Phillips..

It is arriving on Friday... so I cant wait.. it only cost me $18.80AUD...

YAY

PeterC

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2007, 12:54:16 PM »
Thanks for the welcome. Two other books that I found interesting are;

Wallace, Pearl. "A River Woman" - Australia's first female riverboat captain.
ISBN 1 875855 56 4 puiblished by Southern Cross University Press in 2001, and

Wells, Sydney "Paddle Steamers to Cornucopia" - The Renmark-Muildura experiment of 1887
ISBN 186252 467X, printed by Murray Pioneer, Renmark about 1987.

A useful web site that sells boat books ,movies and other bits and pieces on line is:
www.rivermurrayshop.com.au

PeterC

paddlesteamerman1

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2007, 07:36:37 PM »
Yes, I have read a portion of the book about Pearl Wallace, and it was most interesting... I learnt not long ago that "All the Rivers Run" novel by Nancy Cato is "based" upon Pearl Wallace...

paddlesteamerman1

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2007, 09:30:38 PM »
I had a look at the site Peter... a fantastic Murray gift shop.. I am going to be bugging Mum and Dad to buy me a couple of things off there.. I really want the Pearl Wallace Book, a few photos, a couple of videos/dvds.. etc... :)

Offline Roderick Smith

Captain Pearl Wallace
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2007, 10:54:37 PM »
I published this obituary in Dec.05 RNV.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Captain Pearl Wallace: A Murray Skippers Association life member, and a lifetime Murray River resident, Pearl died on Friday 7 October 2005, aged 94.  Her funeral service was held at Balhannah on Sat.15.10.  She was the first woman to become a certified master mariner in Australia, and for many years was the only female river-boat captain. She grew up aboard PS Alpha, which her father (Captain William Collins) ran as a trading vessel along the Darling.  She married Neil Wallace, employed for many years on the construction of locks and weirs along the Murray.  In 1947, her father encouraged her to put her childhood experience to use, and sit for the 3 days of examinations for formal qualification.  In 1956, during a major Murray & Darling flood, she steered barge Vega (with 1000 bales of wool), hauled by PS Success.  During the 1950s, she had a dredging contract to clear channels near Murray Bridge in PS Kookaburra.  She was interviewed by author Nancy Cato, and was the model for one of the characters in the novel All the rivers run.  In 1977, she was in command of PV Canberra at Echuca.  In retirement, she bought a house  in the hills near Adelaide.  Her biography, A river woman, was published in 2001.  At her funeral, a captain's cap and a Murray River flag were draped on the casket; ten river skippers formed an honour guard.  Along the river, operating paddlesteamers stopped in midstream and sounded their whistles while passengers dropped flowers into the river.