Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Beginnig a new construction - Rhone paddler "OCEAN with 322 cm lenght  (Read 2868 times)

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
Hi Thomas......

https://www.chilternmodelsteam.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=83

I too had not noticed the Chiltern Model Steam WEB site  :whistle, so spent quite a few hours reviewing both the Drawings and text........ so without repeating any of the components Distributors detail, find the following

1.   Excellent design, are these segmented piston assemblies? in certain cases with one piece Teflon piston seals?...says assemble, not cut or use a Teflon sizing tool?
2.   The diameter of the crankshaft output shaft for each of the engines is not listed on any of the detailed dimensioned engine Drawings, however the accessory Flywheel Drawings do confirm the corresponding bores are all 6 mm diameter
3.   The Distributors WEBsite displays a user friendly and extensive accessory adder for any chosen additions, and an easy to use world wide freight calculator is also included for potential customers to consider
4.   The height of the crankshaft output shaft above the floor level is not shown
5.   Each engine kit provides a .pdf of an exploded engine assembly CAD view, together with a logical step by step engine assembly procedure document
6.   The sealing of steam nipples to valve bodies appear to be via o-ring, however without any consideration to conventional soft sealing cavities
7.   The manufacture of all components appears  to be of CNC production, which by feature [usually] ensures correct production tolerances

Interestingly, the Distributor provides detailed images and descriptions of the typical model steam boilers we have become accustom to over the years, and offers a Test Certificate for each boiler,  however indicates “Due to the nature and operation of model steam boilers no warranty can be offered”  :nono [this is listed in the Distributors Terms & Conditions]

8.   Having made these points, I would consider investing in a CMS engine

Derek   
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 05:14:41 PM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Hankwilliams

Hi Derek,

doubtless the Chiltern engines are of good workmanship and the mill 2-cylinder engine would be good suited for the boat. Unfortunately there is also a big disadvantage for people who not living in UK: The very high taxes of VAT and mail to EU countries.

So I went another way. I bid in ebay for a new Chinese Microcosm engine, the M 29 with Stephenson gear. Also this engine seems well build and suited for the boat, when she will be altered in some parts. It`s the first time I bid for a Microcomsm and hope, it will be arrive in the beginning June. Normal price of the Microcosm M 29 is 450. - 480.- Euro, but I got for much less money. In the momentary rather insecure situation of world economy this reason was decisive.

So I hope to finish the boat in the mid of June and post some pictures of "OCEAN" in her element steam driven!

Thomas

Thomas

Offline Hankwilliams

Re: Beginnig a new construction - Rhone paddler "OCEAN with 322 cm lenght
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2022, 07:16:04 AM »
Chinese Microcosm 29 M engine arrived. I have altered the engine for a paddle one similar to the Graham TVRIA engines. Today I made a test run. The power of this engine seems extraordinary. Because bore and stroke are 12 x 13 mm the power plant runs fast, but with unexpected strong torque. Also it`s very tight, there is nearly no loss of steam and water. Steam consumption seems rather low. In comparison with other slide geared engines until now I must conclude: This seems the best one, even for the rather low price.
Now I will finish the "OCEAN" within two weeks. gear reduction to paddle shaft will 4,00 : 1,75.

Thomas

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2022, 08:06:39 AM »
 :bravo :clap :great :terrific :trophy

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2022, 08:42:50 PM »
"OCEAN" finished!

Today I made a first test run in a wooden test trough - this one wasn`t really watertight. I can`t use my test tank made of plexiglass, because the model with 322 cm is much too long. Only minor adjustments were necessible - for example the Stephenson gear for ahead and back. Draft is with deplacement of 8,6 kg only 2 cm. It would be better some more draft for deeper diving the rigid paddlewheels in water. The chinese Microcosm engine seems very good - no leaking of steam and water like a good original engine. Gear reduction to nthe paddle shaft is 2,3 : 1, even this seems ok.
Engine needs pressure of 1,0 bar to drive the wheels in water, between 1,6 and 2 bar the power seems good.
I consider to take some ballast for deeper draft of the boat and better efficiency of the paddlewheels.

There were some minor compromises to make this model steam driven. Hull with 150 mm wide is 20 mm more than scale. The front part of the engine house must be much more wide than scale to take in the 2 cylinder engine, the original ship was driven by a very large single cylinder geared by valves similar to the big american single cylinder engines (french system Bourdon).

Now I hope you will enjoy the pictures!

Thomas