Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Beginnig a new construction - Rhone paddler "OCEAN with 322 cm lenght  (Read 273 times)

Offline Hankwilliams

Good evening, dear friends and neighbors,

last week I began a new paddler, the porteur du Rhone "OCEAN" in scale 1 : 48 with 322 cm lengt. A very narrow and flat hull as you see. The hull will be divided in 3 pieces for transport. Building of hull isn`t very difficult, it was possible to make frames and planking with thin plywood until now in 5 days. I consider to make bow and stern section of Forex. Until now I don`t have any experience with this material. May be some of our members was working with Forex? If yes, I would be glad for some advices about the quality and the workmanship of this material.

Thomas

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Re: Beginnig a new construction - Rhone paddler "OCEAN with 322 cm lenght
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 04:33:23 AM »
WOW! That's lloooonngg!

Wonder what the turning circle is for a vessel of that length?

Looking forward to following the build Thomas...

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline Walter Snowdon

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 05:37:33 AM »
that makes the average skinny destroyer look like a fat old lady! with that length and narrow beam every littie ripple must have made it hog and sag like  a long thin reed.Looking forward to seeing it finished. Remember your Willens cigar ship eddy?. now that took half a mile and three days to turn! Did you ever post pictures of it on the site?. That model was a work of genius. regards, Walter.
Blessed are the "cracked" -for they let in the light for the rest of us.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 10:49:54 AM »
that makes the average skinny destroyer look like a fat old lady! with that length and narrow beam every littie ripple must have made it hog and sag like  a long thin reed.Looking forward to seeing it finished. Remember your Willens cigar ship eddy?. now that took half a mile and three days to turn! Did you ever post pictures of it on the site?. That model was a work of genius. regards, Walter.

I did post a few photos about the Cigar Ship a long time ago Walter - You can find them here: http://www.paddleducks.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=3776.0

But if anyone is interested, please add to that topic, NOT this one, as I don't want to hijack Thomas's build!

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 05:16:40 AM »
Hi Eddy,

I`m also wondering about the turning circle. Bur the surface of rudder will be large: 18 cm in lenght and 2,5 cm height. May be, it`s better to install a bow thruster?

Thomas

Offline Steven S

• Winnipeg, middle of Canada
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 05:24:43 AM »
Hi Thomas - I agree, a bow thruster would make steering your paddler manageable.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 10:19:54 AM »
Hi Eddy,

I`m also wondering about the turning circle. Bur the surface of rudder will be large: 18 cm in lenght and 2,5 cm height. May be, it`s better to install a bow thruster?

Thomas

I'd add a bow thruster as a last resort - See how it handles just using the rudder first. It would be a shame to add a bow thruster if it was incorrect, or unneccesary.

Regards
Eddy

Offline Barry

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 02:33:26 PM »
Do bow thrusters work when the models underway? I thought they only worked when the boat was stationary, or have I got that wrong?

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 04:30:48 AM »
Hi Barry,

it`s correct. The efficiency of bow thrusters is low, when the model is fast underway. But when the model is slow or at a standstill, its a great advance to turn  with bow thruster. Without that, steering a paddlesteamer is more difficult than a screw boat. My own experience with a sterwheeler shows, that the effect of rudder was low. In this case a bow thruster was an advance, even when it is not original.

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 04:44:39 AM »
Hello Thomas,

Great to see that at least one guy is working so we can sit back and watch.  ;D

Regarding Forex, I have not used it and I am not sure if you can get in thick sheets.
But for your bow and stern sections I would recomend Styrodur. That's extruded, closed cell foam, not the "normal" expanded foam. It's also known as RoofMate.
I have built planes from this material and it is very light and easy to work with. Sands great. Covered with light glass and expoxy it is very tough and sturdy.
It is available in sheets from 2 to 10cm thickness.

Regards Jurgen

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 08:42:12 AM »
Thanks Jurgen, are you feeling well? Yes, Styrodur seems a good possibility. I will decise between Styrodur, Forex or - the very common light wood - Balsa.
Weight of the incomplete hull now is 1900 g. Deplacement of the finished boat should be not exceed 9 kg.

Thomas

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2022, 02:20:05 PM »
Hi Thomas,
Thanks for asking. We are OK, no Covid so far. Since you are building I guess you are OK too.
We are reasonably isolated, but very careful regarding mask, clean hands and alcohol - as gel on the hands of course. Well, a little inside too  8) :angel.

Jurgen

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2022, 06:39:58 PM »
Evening Thomas.........

I am not sure about this build  :whistle ......but for thruster interest, please confirm the effective available internal beam

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2022, 07:53:39 AM »
Hi Jurgen and Derek,

also we are okay, no covid. Only dark and cold winter days, the right time to build anything.

The hulls breadht is 150 mm and of the bow thruster ca. 154 mm, so that I don`t see any problem to install it. For the bow and stern section I have used balsa, not Forex or Styrodur. After sanding the hulls out- and inside got two paints of Voss G 4 Polyrethan resin. The resin will seal by penetrating the wood, so that the balso will get a really hard surface.
It`s astonishing, how less time this long narrow hull needs until now. But the problems will come later, I`m shure...