Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Blockade Runner "Colonel Lamb"  (Read 3297 times)

Online derekwarner_decoy

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
Re: Blockade Runner "Colonel Lamb"
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2021, 01:31:20 AM »
Thomas.......you mention with this new Regner 12x36 build, will incorporate 'geared' paddle wheels

Naturaly I will be very interested to read of your geared wheel reduction, as I understood your earlier 12x36 build to be direct drive.  Your selection of boiler capacity together with anciliries will be similar to the original build, but will be interesting and exciting to see 

{Saito nominate 2 Bar WP for their engines, however many appear to operate without issue at 3.5 Bar, but even at this pressure we are still talking of ~~150 degrees C...so the condensate cold start issue maintains - the proposed heat radiator can only depend on the heat load/mass able to be pumped & transferred to the cylinders + valve bodies}

Looking forward to seeing your new engine plant progress

Derek  :coffee
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 01:33:54 AM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2021, 08:57:21 AM »
It is possible, to make a direct drive from engine to paddleshaft with this 36 mm stroke. I made it at the big "China" paddler and  at the sternwheeler "Ville des Bruges"with this Regner type. But I must see. Sometimes it`s better to use cogwheels, the engine is very heavy and should be installed deep in the hull.Today I made some improements - there was bearing clearance of the crankshaft, with tiny ball bearings it`s now ok. I also changed two fork type linkages to avoide clearance. The engine runs in a good manner, but the Stepenson reverse gear shows a tendency to jam. Perhaps it is better to reverse the engine through reverse valve.
At the model, the finished liveboats were fixed.

Thomas

Online derekwarner_decoy

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2021, 11:20:15 AM »
Hullo Thomas... we see the crankshaft eccentric sheeves appear to be of split construction and retained by M2 brass bolts & nuts

So what are the M2 ? slotted head steel screws protruding into the eccentric sheeve body top halves?  :shhh

The AF flat of the head of the M2 bolt near appears to run in the root diameter of the M2 slotted head screws  :whistle 

Derek
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 11:22:53 AM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Online derekwarner_decoy

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2021, 11:53:37 AM »
Looks like the M2 tappings are for oil cups with a felt lining?.......[as found on another online build....]

Have watched this thread some years ago, so obviously loss of memory  :shoot

We also see a tapping at the 9.00 o'clock position....one bottom sheeve with a screw & nut, & the other with a fail of rag to soak up the oil

Is there an additional slipper bearing ring between the eccentric sheeve bodies and the actual eccentric?
Derek
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 12:20:33 PM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2021, 09:36:05 AM »
There is a recess in the excenter and the M 2 bolts leads the excenter rod precisly on it. With the horizontal M 2 bolts one is able to make the clearance between excenter and rod a little more or less. There are some clearance at this engine because the bearings and fork type linkage rod are made of brass. But it`s no problem to overhaul the engine with new parts.
The Regner 12/36 is deliverable now for more than 40 years. I think this engine must be made about 1985 with her 4 mm crankshaft. For the "China" model 4 years ago, I bought a new 12/36 with teflon pistons and piston valves, 6 mm crankshaft and some more modified parts. It`s no problem to modernize older engines with new parts if necessary.

Thomas

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2021, 09:46:09 PM »
Some detailing continous the build - the bollars, capstan and ships name. Next week I will make the paddlewheels.

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2021, 10:47:42 PM »
Making the feathered paddlewheels. The wheels are similar of "Hope" plan, which I build 26 years ago. This work take pains. The wheels are a little bit simplified, but very solid. I use aluminium sheet of 2 mm, M 2 thread stakes, M 2 and M 1,4 nuts and bolds. Still the excenter and excenter rods must be made - I`m waiting for more mini screws and nuts. When the making of wheels is finished, only rigging and some minor works must be made.

Thomas

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2021, 05:03:21 AM »

Nice work Thomas. Cutting all that aluminum by hand is admirable.
Do you epoxy the parts or do you have material to solder alu? I once bought the Rexin solder and it worked quite well, but after some time the flux dried and is worthless now.

Jurgen

Offline Steven S

• Winnipeg, middle of Canada
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2021, 07:49:10 AM »
Very impressive progress Thomas.  My next boat will have better wheels than my first two boats have, but now not up to your standard.

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2021, 08:23:41 AM »
Hi Jürgen and Steven,

the parts were connected with epoxy. I also first tried to solder with rexin, but it was not satisfying - the connection wasn`t solid. Next days I hope to finish the wheels with excenter and rods. I´ve made some feathering paddlewheels from alu and brass, every time it`s large effort. With milling machine this work would be much faster and much more easy - but last not least the result is important.
Steven, your paddlewheels are ok and original, most stern- and quarterwheelers has had rigid paddlewheels.

Thomas

Offline optima21

« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2021, 10:26:54 PM »
those paddles are looking pretty impressive to me. I could have them in a display case on their own :)

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2021, 12:06:40 AM »
Yes, these ships has had a special elegance , but were plain purpose build. I now watched the video of our member`s Don nice model of blockade runner "Presto". Before I started with the build of Colonel Lamb I considered to make also a model of "Presto". But the C. L. is more suitable for steam propulsing. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XXIOhqwP84.

Today I installed the finished paddlewheels - this was an pleasant and easy job.

Thomas

Offline Mike

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2021, 12:45:51 AM »

Lovely wheels, The cutting out must have taken a long time.
  All the build is coming on very nicely .

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2021, 07:58:03 AM »
I worked 15 days to make the wheels.

Thomas

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2021, 07:04:57 AM »
"Colonel Lamb" as good as finished today. I made the rigging last days, now only some detailing will follow. The Regner 12/36 made some more test runs with reverse valve, because the Stephenson gear sometimes is jaming. It seems, that reversing with the valve is more sufficient, also the reverse can be made instantaneous. The reverse valve belongs to my first live steam builds more than 30 years ago. It was only necessary to tighten it with two new  O -rings.

Thomas