Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: hobbies of dereham model ship plans.  (Read 115 times)

Offline Walter Snowdon

hobbies of dereham model ship plans.
« on: May 10, 2020, 06:58:09 PM »
hobbies of dereham have been around for well over a hundred years and for those of us "of a certain age" in the hobby it was a turn- to company for wood, tools, plans and anything to do with crafts and model making. They published a weekly magazine for one hundred and four years and only missed eight weekly issues! Their catalogues and annuals were a joy to read. Every isue had a free plan covering everything form ornamental fretwork to fullsize sheds and caravans. Alas no more- Hobbies are just another (Though good) mail order firm selling the same stuff as all the others.  After that long winded intro down to the nitty gritty! I am trying to compile a list of paddlers and other interesting models published by them as plans pre 1960. I have a 1939 plan for the Thames paddler royal eagle and a small ornmental early trans atlantic paddler. Does anyone know of any others . I know of one other which was published in 1940 or early 1950s but I dont have the relevent magazine or catalogue. It was a single funnel excursion paddler (either a Belle steamer or medway Queen. Do any of our older (ancient) members  remember this or have the relevent magazine/ catalogue/ annual? Remember, this is only pre 1960s. there are no paddlers after that to my memory. Sorry about this long winded ramble but this is all part of our history!. As we have just celebrated VE day a bit of history. During world war two the paper shortage meant that a lot of magazines ceased publishing but Churchil was worried about boredom in troops and civilians who would be bored in barracks and on ships so certain magazines were allowed to carry on publishing so long as they had content to help the war effort using salvaged wood etc. The only stipulation was that every issue had a full size plan of a ship, aircraft, tank field gun etc. The two most supported were Hobbies Weekly and Aeromodeller.  The largest model aircraft club in the world was the RAF model flying club With most airfields having a dedicated model room and on many, modellers WERE EXCUSED SPORTS to do their model making. I could tell you a few stories of working in a model shop with weekly orders from catterick, middleton St George, croft airfields in the 1950s. All usually organised by a warrant officer!. regards, , Walter. (god doesnt he go on). Who said that -  stand up that man- I have some coal to whitwash.

Offline Barry

Re: hobbies of dereham model ship plans.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 06:06:57 PM »
Hi Walter. A couple of links that may be of interest.
I know that the local maritime museum at Queenscliff in Victoria had a collection of Hobbies plans but I don't remember any paddlers.
There closed until further notice due to the 'terror' but when they reopen I can ask what they have.
The attached cover picture could be the paddler you're referring to from the '40s. It's from the Brighton toy museum website.

https://www.brightontoymuseum.co.uk/index/Category:Hobbies_Weekly
https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Hobbies_Weekly