Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: New little paddler  (Read 28271 times)

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Re: New little paddler
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2020, 08:18:36 PM »
Thanks for sharing the plans Thomas - I just wish I'd kept the Marten Howes & Baylis steamplant I once owned, it would have been almost ideal for this!

For those that don't remember my posts on the steamplant (It was about 15 years ago now!) you can see the complete thing at http://www.paddleducks.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=1445.15 About the 5th post on the page...

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2020, 10:43:42 PM »
Yes, Eddy, this Marten & Hoves and Baylis steamplant was a first class one. I remember when it was offered in the end of 1990tis. The little slide crank engine I own in my "Seekadett", made in 1993 - still functionable and in good condition.

Thomas

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2020, 03:06:46 AM »
Today we made some further pictures of "Presto". A few photos I modified with filters to an antique impression.

Thomas

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2020, 07:58:58 AM »
Very good Thomas.....from IMG_2420, Presto appears to have a good radius of steerage  :bravo

Glad that pair of Wellington boots we bought you fitted correctly  :hehe

Derek
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 08:03:26 AM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2020, 08:41:45 AM »
Oh yes Derek - this time I didn`t forgot the boots - there was a 4 meter distance throught water to the little dry isle!

Thomas

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2020, 04:30:56 PM »
A lovely model Thomas well done.  :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2020, 03:05:41 AM »

Nice pictures Thomas.
She looks nice on the water and seems to move really well.

Is it the picture or is Presto missing an E on starboard?

Jurgen

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2020, 07:16:35 PM »
Yes Jurgen, the boats name lost an "E", I watched at home - fortunately I had another one - the name could be completet again.

In the next days I will take some pictures of the Irrawaddy steamer "Mindon". The text of the book about steamboat models is finished since weeks, in the moment there is some work to coordinate the numerous pictures with the text. I hope, also this will be finished next week.

Thomas

Offline kno3

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2020, 01:42:37 AM »
Please tell me what gear ratio did you use in in the beginning and how did you change it?

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2020, 04:35:24 AM »
As I wrote in the "Mindon" topic the load of the engine was the problem - high steam consumption with restricted range of sensitive regulation.  I think, the present gearing ratio with 2 : 1 ist ideal for the dimensions of paddlewheels (120 mm diameter) and piston stroke (15,2 mm).

Offline kno3

« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2020, 05:58:08 PM »
Thanks but that doesn't answer my question.

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2020, 06:21:44 AM »
Perhaps we should have a look to the stroke of the engine in relation to diameter of the wheels. At original direct driven paddlers the engine stroke is between 20 to 35% of wheel diameter. This rate can be rendered to the model. With the 15,2 mm stroke of the Graham the wheels diameter should be between 50 to 75 mm direct driving. From my experience: When the wheels diameter is essential bigger, the torque of the engine will not be sufficient and the engine will be overloaded - steam consumption will be high. In this case a gear reduction is the better way, what was made with "Presto" and "Mindon".

Thomas

Offline kno3

« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2020, 04:26:48 AM »
Thanks for the answer but I think you misunderstood me :-)
I was simply asking what ratio you started with and how you modified it. NOT why you didn't use direct drive (which is an entirely different question).

Besides, stroke alone doesn't tell much about engine power and load. You also need to know the bore of the piston and then to calculate the volume of the cylinders, working pressure, all in relation to the paddlewheel diameter and to the surface area of the paddles being submerged at one time. Quite a complex calculation, if you think of it.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 04:30:56 AM by kno3 »