Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: New little paddler  (Read 1258 times)

Offline Hankwilliams

Re: New little paddler
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2020, 09:52:20 PM »
Some progress was made - RC with servos for rudder and engine reverse is installed. I think, this way with the servo in the crate is a quite good solution. The servo for the rudder is directly in the stern side by side to the rudder shaft. The servo for steam regulation will be in the starbord box vis-a- vis the receiver.

Thomas

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2020, 09:30:57 PM »
There is again some progress and I hope, next week the boat will be finished. Boiler, gas tank and hotwell are now finished and will be installed the next days. The deplacement isn`t very much, with only 3800 gramms the "Presto" will be one of my lightest models.

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2020, 09:04:28 AM »
 :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2020, 05:42:12 AM »

Nice work Thomas. I follow your instruction pictures closely to be able to copy it somehow.

I would like to know how you make the boiler end caps. Do you hammerform these over dies you make yourself or are they available somewhere? To get the diameter of the straight flange right seems to be quite a challenge.

Jurgen

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2020, 09:13:16 AM »
Hi Jurgen,

it seems, also this project will be finished soon.
The boiler tube and its end caps were ordered by Regner in Aurach.
It`s also not too difficult to make this parts by oneselve. You need a form of hardwood in the diameter of the boiler tube. In the center of the form should be a screw. The soft red glowing brass or copper piece must cool down, then you fix it with the screw on themiddle of the form and with a wooden hammer you begin hammering from the center to more outer regions. The sheet must be glowed several times again, because it will be hard again with the hammering. At the end you must hammer the material angular araund the vertical parts of the form and cut it down to a lenght of 8 - 19 mm. Probablly the cap will still show some splits between the boiler tube and itself, but with precise strokes of the hammer  they will vanish. When there is no more split larger than 0,4 mm you can solder with silver soldering.

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2020, 05:41:36 PM »
Hullo Thomas.......another beautiful set of tanks ...[as usual]  :clap

......we have previously discussed such manufacture with the amazing U shaped Gas Tank from a previous build :hehe

......however I do not understand this tank manufactured in a T format with a singular port tapping at the top?

Derek
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 05:43:09 PM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2020, 03:57:10 AM »

Thanks for the explanation Thomas.
That is what I had seen in books and videos. It seems to be very hard to get this 0.4mm tolerance at the flange area.
So I am looking for ready made ones. I have been at the Regner website (veeeery slow!) quite often, but I don't seem to find any end caps there.
I found some on the Keifler website, but then again there is a message they are out of business.

Jurgen

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2020, 07:48:23 PM »
First steam up!
Good morning, dear friends and neighbors,

yesterday after some problems with a failing burner, the present Rothenberger was installed. After 5 minutes, first steam pressure came up. The presentation of boiler and engine was good. Minimum pressure for running engine  was 0,4 bar, the engine was very fast with 2 bar, of course without any load.
Today I will connect the servo with the steam regulator beside the boiler dom.
Burner: I made one ceramic burner by myself, function was ok, but the sound - a loud howling - wasn`t acceptable. May be, I will order a Regner ceramic burner, but it seems, that Regnes is not working at time.
Jürgen: Boiler caps. The Regner boiler tubes and caps are not in the catalogue, but deliverable. Another firm, Hartmann Modellbau - with many different boiler tubes and caps, but not very trustworthy - obviously has closed.
Derek: For the gas tank I used again copper tubes and caps from plumber trade. After the gas cock there is the fast coupling, which one can loosen in a moment to fill the tank.

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2020, 08:46:05 PM »
OK.....thanks Thomas......each of your detailed photographs confirms a thousand words  :kewlpics

In each of your boiler burners appear to burn with a very bright [light blue - high temperature] flame, have you ever experimented with a slip fit bush over the burner to alter [increase] the air draw?.....lower the temperature and also change or lower the boiler howl?

Looking forward to seeing Presto on the water...[is this your 12th or 13th Paddler?]  :whistle

Derek  :beer
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 08:49:07 PM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2020, 08:09:05 PM »
Hi Derek,

she is my 17th paddler with steam propulsion. Yesterday I finished the RC, the connection between servo and steam regulator is well functionating.
Today I will do a steam test in the test tank.
The original boat has had a very light roof of fabric nearly over the whole hull. I think, I will make this with very thin plywood (0,5 mm) and brass stanchions.

Thomas

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2020, 09:36:47 AM »
Wow.......17 steam paddlers.... :a102 ....I am sure this will be a PD Members world record.......

[my favourite  :no1b is the Irrawaddi....with the two single Regner 12x36 engines close coupled to be a twin]

You may well be the best person to answer a question... :whistle

1. Models with a ships wheel if required to steer to Port, the ship's wheel turns to Port......OK so with the Radio Control arm, we send this over to Port to achieve the mirror of the ships wheel and the direction of turn

2. Now model ships with a hand or rope Tiller arm, to steer to Port we move the tiller arm to Stdb......so here is the question....do you send the direction of the Radio Control arm over to the Stdb to achieve this

Te action at 2. is a mirror of the full size steering motion, but is opposite to the visual image of the Radio Control arm

Naturally any other members with tiller arm steerage are welcome to comment

Derek

« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 09:40:12 AM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2020, 01:46:43 AM »

When the model should go to port, I lead the RC arm to port, whether it is wheel geared or a with a tiller - to make a difference would be too much difficult to survey.

Yesterday I made the first steam test in water basin. There are some minor problems, like most steam tests with models on water: The gear reduction engine to paddleshaft must be altered to 2 : 1. With present 1,4 : 1 the engine is too much loaded, steam consumption is too hight. The hotwell wasn`t tight and also the connection oiler to engine. For the different gear reduction I`ve ordered two new cogwheels, the other points are already repaired.

At the "Mindon" model with it`s small 85 mm diameter paddlewheels there is a 1 : 1 transmission engine to paddleshaft. Obviously also in models the rate between engine stroke (15,7 mm) and paddle diameter should be no fare more than 1 : 5 like in the original paddlers.
The draught of the boat is 30 mm, a little more than expected - model weight with water in boiler and gas is about 4,5 kg.

For aestetical reasons I have add a bowsprit and shorten the funnel for 20 mm.

Thomas

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2020, 10:50:57 PM »
 :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2020, 09:15:30 PM »
Yesterday one more test run with unchanged gear reduction 1,4 : 1. This time the presentation was better, minimum pressure for running engine was 0,6 bar in water with the fixed boat. Minimum number of revolutions to keep the engine running are between 50 - 60 Upm - independent of pressure. Of course it wasn`t possible to move the boat worth mentioning forward in the short test tank, but even throught the 1 m space the engine was running faster and more round, compared with the fixed model. The water swirl is very strong with 3 bar, but the pressure goes down fast to 1,2 bar. So I observet, that the steam consumption with this rate of gear reduction is rather strong.

Thomas

Offline Paddlemex

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2020, 05:10:58 AM »

Hello Thomas,

That's an interesting observation. I always thought that a steam engine was kind of "self" regulating regarding steam consumption.
I thought that if you overload the engine it would just run slower using less steam. Less rpm => use less steam.
If, on the contrary, you would let it run without load, it would rev-up happily consuming more steam.
Seems like I have to look into the books again.

Jurgen