Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: General question about paddle wheels and other things.....  (Read 83 times)

Offline Andy F

General question about paddle wheels and other things.....
« on: July 13, 2019, 11:38:22 AM »
It's probably been asked a million times but what is a feathered wheel and how does it differ from a normal wheel?

Please don't tell me to go search and find out, I've tried that. I'm moving to boats from railways and the terminology is completely different. Some things on here have me completely stumped.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Re: General question about paddle wheels and other things.....
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 05:25:16 PM »
Welcome to Paddleducks Andy,

The feathering mechanism on a paddlewheel in simple terms keeps the paddle blades vertical as the wheel turns and they move through the water, so giving more thrust. In model sizes I don't feel it has any great effect on performance (others may disagree?), it just looks "right".

Having said that it looks "right", bear in mind that the top half of the wheel is covered by the paddlebox, and most of the lower part of the wheel is in the water, so any feathering mechanism cannot really be seen!

I've built models with feathering mechanism, and none feathering wheels, and both perform equally...

Hope that helps?

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline Hankwilliams

Re: General question about paddle wheels and other things.....
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 01:14:21 AM »
Eddy - in this case I must contradict. From my experience also at a model the feathered wheels perceives more thrust, even when the diameter isn`t large. But one more reason for feathering wheels are the truth of original, when this kind of wheels were installed at the prototype.

Regards Thomas