Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Hello everyone  (Read 115 times)

Offline Andy F

Hello everyone
« on: July 13, 2019, 11:25:45 AM »
Hi all. My name's Andy and I'm just about approaching that age where we just don't care any more  :-\

I'm currently despairing at the lack of movement on my model railway so I thought I'd give my boats another go. It's 30 odd years since I last 'played with boats' but I think i'm getting the hang of it again.
I've had one hanging about on a shelf in the garage since we moved to this house 10 yrs ago so maybe I should have a go at reworking it.

This is one I originally built about 35 yrs ago. It used to be an Aerokits Sea Commander but it's anything but that now...

It's alright I suppose but it's not really what I want so I've been looking at early sidewheel paddlers. I built one many years ago (early 80's, pre-marriage & kids) from a free plan in one of the magazines. It was about 3' long, radio controlled and powered by a real steam engine 8) The main problem with it was that it only went forwards. Left or right wasn't a problem but direction and stopping was. My last memory of it was me sending it out on a stripped out Valhalla style voyage then shooting the c**p out of it with a .22 BSA Meteor. It didn't end well for the boat.

Anyway. A few weeks ago my interest was piqued again by finding this site (by way of the Model Boats site while looking for something else) and seeing all these 'proper' boats.
I've always had a fascination with paddle steamers and I was lucky enough to ride the Waverley several times on the Clyde, between Wemyss and Rothesay many years ago and even more lucky to go in the engine room. What more could a small boy ask for? The fuse was lit.

So. Now.

I googled and I found. A nice example of a Clyde paddler, a sort of a plan for same and lots of sketchy reference photos. With a bit of gratuitous photoshopping, a bit of CAD and a very useful Silhouette cutter, I've managed to cobble together a hull and various other parts. I'd show some pictures but I haven't taken any yet.

Whatever. It's loosely based on this:

This is the Greyhound - based in Blackpool, c1907 ish. Very similar in design to the one I'm building, PS Juno-ish but in the absence of any other decent research material it's a good reference point and good enough for me.
In model railway terminology (anorak alert) this is known as Rule One. Rule One modelling is good. Not as expensive as true scale modelling but maybe just a bit more fun :shhh

My model will be 39" long with a beam of just shy of 8" and weighing in at the cheap end of f(not a lot)k all and based on the very useful model railway scale of 00 or 1/76 which means that fittings, figures and just about anything else you can think of will not be a problem.. I'm hoping to use a Tamiya 72003 motor/gearbox combo to power it but if anyone has any serious considerations with that, I'd be more than happy to hear them. I did consider the twin motor/gearbox things they offer but then considered having to buy two ESC's, using another radio channel, the price of baked beans and pizza, not to mention 3x Adnams Ghost Ship for a fiver at Tesco. etc and then thought better of it. But, like I said earlier. Anyone got any thoughts on the Tamiya unit as a decent power plant for this ship?

As far as reference material is concerned, I think this might be about as good as it gets:

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-steamboats-at-blackpool-north-pier-1903-1903-online

Someone's probably posted it before but it's the first time I've seen it and I find it fascinating.

Offline Andy F

Re: Hello everyone
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 11:05:43 PM »
Addendum to previous post.

I've ventured out into the garage and taken a couple of photos. This is progress so far.

(apologies for the mess)

Offline Spankbucket

• Emigre from South London
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 05:31:04 PM »
Hi Andy and welcome..you'll get a load of help and info here.

My attention was caught by you mentioning that you had used a Silhouette (Cutter I'm assuming) in your project and I am interested to hear about what for and your experience with it.

I too have one of these and have dabbled with using it on a couple of boat and plane projects but came to the conclusion that the cut depth was never going to enough to deal with thick card or balsa. I replaced it a couple of years back with a Curio along with a deep cutting tool but haven't got round to using the latter yet.

Maybe you've been there?

Offline Andy F

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 10:38:21 PM »
I've never tried the Silhouette with balsa (in fact I haven't used balsa in over 30 years) but I have used it for thin wood veneers for marquetry projects in the past and been more than pleased with the results.
Most of what I make these days tends to be railway orientated - buildings, rolling stock, etc and I find it perfectly adequate for that. As you say it struggles with cut depth but I'm happy with score & snap using 10 or 20 thou styrene sheet. If I need anything thicker such as the frames on the boat above I can simply replicate the item and laminate them using solvent weld. Surprisingly strong and solid.

All made on the Silhouette.

Offline Spankbucket

• Emigre from South London
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 05:17:11 AM »
Sounds very similar to my experiences and approaches including multi-layer styrene.
Those electric teams look really good so I congratulate you!
If and when I get round to using the deep-cut blade on the Curio I'll put a note up here. I been using it exclusively for cutting vinyl patterns so far.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 05:18:49 AM by Spankbucket »